Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Tyson's controversies outside the Ring lower him in top 10 rankings?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    Absolutely not. If you are making boxing ratings, they should be based entirely on boxing. Although in Mike's case there are some in ring incidents that can't be ignored.
    Yeah, very true. You would then be having to take a lot into consideration for many fighters.

It only matters what they did inside the ring.

Comment

To expand on the question, though, what about when ranking fighters' worthiness for the HOF? Should disgraceful figures be denied entry?

The argument against that is Boxing has so many great Champions who were despicable human beings. A HOF without men like Carlos Monzon, or Mike Tyson, or Ray Leonard?

The argument for is the image these men present, & the absolute millions other sports invest in keeping their athletes & representatives' image clean for the public, to encourage participation amongst future generations.

They are both pretty valid points of view.

Comment

Why would they? Monzon was a madman outside of the ring. Hasn't affected his evaluation.

Comment

No.

I mean look at so many great fighters and their outside-the-ring problems, particularly with women. Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard were both woman beaters. Robinson's abuse of Edna Mae may have resulted in her 5 miscarriages. Really disgusting.

Jake LaMotta was an admitted rapist and woman batterer. Carlos Monzon beat women and killed one. Joe Louis punched and choked Lena Horne, saying he might've killed her. Muhammad Ali was no angel with women either.

Comment

Apart from it being stupid and not making sense, it would be a tiring process to assess different fighters personal troubles and lower them. We are talking about boxers here

Comment

Originally posted by katsidis View Post
              IMO, probably not. I don't think that what a fighter does outside of the ring should effect their rankings. Although I can understand and have no problem with anyone that does downgrade fighters depending on what they do outside the ring.
              Agreed. A fighter is who he is inside the ring, and is who he is outside the ring. I understand why people would lower someone based on non fighting incidents, but I don't do it or agree with it.

Comment

Working...
              X