No announcement yet.

George Foreman and Sonny Liston sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    Mike Tyson admitted to being scared before every fight. Athletes can react oddly to the stress leading up to an event. You just never know.

Poet
    Tyson something like There's nothing wrong with being scared, it's how you do with your fears and how you face it.

Not a exact quote but the idea was that being scared doesn't matter, and for Tyson, he was just being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      Mike Tyson admitted to being scared before every fight. Athletes can react oddly to the stress leading up to an event. You just never know.

Poet
      correct... if a fighter is not nervous before a fight he will most likely get beaten

Comment

Very true Poet and Sonnyboyx! A man needs that nervous energy to be sharp. But I think there is a distinction between fear/being scared and being nervous/respectful of another fighter.

For example Bruce Seldon was clearly fearful of Mike Tyson.....result one round KO loss

Whereas Ali was clearly nervous when he fought George Foreman.....result 8th round KO win.

In Foreman's case I'd say that he was respectful rather than scared of Sonny. But who knows?

I remember a British Heavyweight called Scott Walsh preparing to fight Henry Akinwande. He overdid being hypnotised in his preparation, many were picking him to beat Akinwande...........they were so impressed at Scott's complete confidence and self belief.........no jitters, no butterflys. He was so laid back and assured of victory. When fight night came he lost every round and was so laid back he didn't even get out of first gear!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Very true Poet and Sonnyboyx! A man needs that nervous energy to be sharp. But I think there is a distinction between fear/being scared and being nervous/respectful of another fighter.

For example Bruce Seldon was clearly fearful of Mike Tyson.....result one round KO loss

Whereas Ali was clearly nervous when he fought George Foreman.....result 8th round KO win.

In Foreman's case I'd say that he was respectful rather than scared of Sonny. But who knows?

I remember a British Heavyweight called Scott Walsh preparing to fight Henry Akinwande. He overdid being hypnotised in his preparation, many were picking him to beat Akinwande...........they were so impressed at Scott's complete confidence and self belief.........no jitters, no butterflys. He was so laid back and assured of victory. When fight night came he lost every round and was so laid back he didn't even get out of first gear!
          When I boxed our trainer told us:"If your not nervous,your not ready to fight"

I remember that making me feel better because I was so nervous.

Comment

Absolutely correct Boxingboy.

Comment

Didn't Liston also have ties with Gangs or the Mafia? ****'d I'd be scared too! Not to mention he was a monster in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
                Didn't Liston also have ties with Gangs or the Mafia? ****'d I'd be scared too! Not to mention he was a monster in the ring.

Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo had a piece of Liston for a time. I don't think their is any proof of either Liston or his opponents ever taking a dive. Liston simply destroyed his opponents and when Ali beat him it was because he was the better man. I've heard conspiracy theories on both Ali fight and neither hold water and are easily debunked in my opinion. Being a bad guy and having associations doesn't automatically make a fighter corrupt. Wise guys have always hovered around boxing.

Comment

Foreman has said on several occasions that he feared Joe Frazier,and I think Ken Norton.He was talking about boxing.

Liston was the only person he said he feared out of the ring.

In the ring he said only Liston could force him to move backwards.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by irishdude View Post
                      George Foreman's arms are smaller in comparison with Listons. That 84 inch reach is really amazing.
                      Last edited by Vadrigar.; 07-01-2010, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X