Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Today's Fighters Held to Higher Standards than Fighters of the Past?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Today's Fighters Held to Higher Standards than Fighters of the Past?

I believe so and I will provide 5 examples:

1. Losses are Penalized More - Losses are penalized today more than ever before. A loss takes you out of title contention, fan interest declines, money declines and it becomes more and more difficult to get relevant fights. God forbid you lose a fight as a prospect. The promoter will completely lose interest in you.

Fighters of the past not only have several losses but BAD losses. I'm talking Roberto Duran/Kirkland Laing, Sugar Ray Robinson/Ralph Jones, etc. Can you imagine if a fighter of today lost to that caliber of fighter? They would be ridiculed to death and would not make it back on TV.

2. Contenders Are Under Higher Scrutiny - An ATG or HOF resume generally consists of the following:

a. A handful career defining fights vs fellow hall of famers. In the old days when fighters had over 100 fights, you maybe had more of these opportunities but in the new era, there are maybe 5 of these in a 50 fight career.

b. Title defenses against the contenders in your division.

It seems boxing fans only give credit for category "a" now. Top 10 contenders are considered bums and a champion gets no credit for beating the #4 or #5 guy in his division. And I'm not talking about sanctioning body rankings. I'm talking Ring/TBRB ratings.

3. More Pressure to Dominate and Be "Exciting"

Close decision victories are not good enough. Many fans and media will scream robbery and demand a rematch. Even though, if a fight is 50/50 going in, it will likely be a closely contested matchup that is decided by a point or two. The resumes of many ATG's have numerous close contested wins which defined their careers.

Second is the pressure to excite. The Rumble in the Jungle, Tyson/Holyfield, etc. were clinch-fests. But at some point, clinching no longer became a part of boxing. In fact, many fans even have reduced the value of a jab, the most important punch in boxing. If you watch the black and white fight footage, what's funny is you see a lot of resemblance in the tactics and techniques that are utilized by Andre Ward and prime Bernard Hopkins.

4. Nostalgia

Fighters of today have to overcome the admiration and hype of the old school contender. For example, a champion of today beats Joe Smith Jr., it's considered a cherry pick over a construction worker. A fighter from the 50's beats the Joe Smith Jr. equivalent and it's probably one of his hall of fame wins. I attribute this partially to my final point:

5. There is footage of almost everything you do

Fighters of the past benefit from not having footage so you have to rely on books and media (which tend to exaggerate) to learn about how certain fights play out. You don't get to see the rounds they lost, score the fights yourself, look at frame by frame to see if punches landed, etc.

Today, you can go on YouTube and see Andre Ward or Deontay Wilder get dropped early in their careers or Gennady Golovkin look human against Kasim Ouma.

So for those reasons, I think fighters today are held to higher standards than fighters of the past. It is almost impossible for a fighter in today's landscape to ever be viewed in the same light of fighters in previous eras.
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    25.00%
    In Some Ways
    25.00%

I can't agree more.. Fighters of the past are always held in higher pedestal than the current ones.. It goes to show why people like Holyfield & Lewis never got their fare share of hype during their peak..

Comment

when you get 6 million viewers like errol "new face of boxing" spence you have to go out there and make it count. you cant go out there and clinch your way to a boring 12 roudn decision so yes they have more pressure. 6 million people are wondering where is errol spence? who will errol spence fight next? who will step up and challenge errol spence?

Comment

Nostalgia you have a point about. But on the other points, no. It was way harder to rise in the heart boxing world 50/60 years ago. It's not even close.

Comment

Agreed to an extent. I do agree with your 1st 2 points and blame that in large part because stars are what is being sold, not the sport of boxing.

Networks want to create stars for ratings so they gerrymander things so much that if you lose you drop.

As for the rest, I am not sure homie. I think forums like this and youtube channels give a distorted reality to what is going on. If there were no internet forums or youtube, we wouldn't have to deal with trolls and clowns. I think if you limit the discussion to true hardcore fans and media members of the sport there isn't a much different standard today.

Comment

Knowledge is a double edged sword, a guy can rise quicker because it is easier to see that guy. However, the more you see a guy the more you know about their flaws. Once you start seeing flaws you bring them up because that is how that guy will eventually go out but that could be 20 fights down the road or the very next fight.

There is no mystery in boxing anymore and everyone wants to act like an expert rather than actually enjoying the sport. It makes sense though because it is hard work to be a hardcore boxing fan so you are pretty much an expert if you get to that point and then follow the sport at that level for a number of years.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
              Knowledge is a double edged sword, a guy can rise quicker because it is easier to see that guy. However, the more you see a guy the more you know about their flaws. Once you start seeing flaws you bring them up because that is how that guy will eventually go out but that could be 20 fights down the road or the very next fight.

There is no mystery in boxing anymore and everyone wants to act like an expert rather than actually enjoying the sport. It makes sense though because it is hard work to be a hardcore boxing fan so you are pretty much an expert if you get to that point and then follow the sport at that level for a number of years.
              To me, to visually watch and score a fight live and remember it has more of an impact than reading a newspaper clipping from 1935 that states that a decision was controversial.

There are advantages to having more exposure nowadays but like you said, it's a double edged sword. They even have old sparring footage on YouTube now.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                To me, to visually watch and score a fight live and remember it has more of an impact than reading a newspaper clipping from 1935 that states that a decision was controversial.

There are advantages to having more exposure nowadays but like you said, it's a double edged sword. They even have old sparring footage on YouTube now.
                Yea that is one of the big issues with judging guys from a long time ago, there might be footage of guys but how many complete fights are there. SO how much does even the best historian really know compared to today where you know almost every detail.

Take Ray Robinson you think if there were internet message boards in the 50's he wouldn't get **** for fighting LaMotta 6 times when he wouldn't fight anyone from the black murderers row once. Or his haggling over his value threatening to walk out on fight the day of if his demands weren't met. Then his personal issues which honestly make a lot of current issues look minor.

I am not the only one that knows this stuff but I would be in a very small minority that actually cares enough to bring up that sort of stuff when his name pops up, and the only reason I know that stuff a bit is I came up before the proliferation of video so I am well read on boxing. How many people are going to be well read and actually take it to heart going forward that always had video of everything?

Even if you go back to the 70's and 80's or 90's those fights were on TV but how many people had access to those videos whenever they wanted to watch them, so people can know a lot more. However, less people actually understand boxing or want to really understand boxing. It is kind of sad because people should be able to be better fans of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post

what do you mean "fighters of the past",this which we have no footage?or 50s,60s,70s,80s too?

Comment

It's the message board/social media world we live in.

Comment

Working...
                    X