Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fit can you be by only using a treadmill?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fit can you be by only using a treadmill?

We all know that using a treadmill is no substitute to roadwork, but how fit can you be by only using a treadmill? has there ever been any tests regarding this?
    How big is the differential? anyway just interested to know.

dude your crazy.

running is running. there is nothing better about running outside than on a tredmill.

The only thing that matters is how fast and how far you run.

Yes outside you can run hills, but most tredmills have an incline feature so you can run hill on them too.

And unlike on a real hill, you can make the hill you run on the treadmill a little bit longer every day.

Comment

about as fit as the guys at **********.org

Comment

I've read somewhere and it might of been on this site that it is harder outside because you have to push off and propel yourself forward which you dont have to do on a treadmill as you are stationary and its just the treadmill moving under you. So you dont have to push yourself forward but rather just keep your legs moving round which is easier...if that makes sense.

Personally I think there is a difference but you can compensate that by putting the speed or incline up to replicate the intensity you run at outside...I've heard of people training for marathons entirely on treadmills and putting up respectable times.

Comment

The main difference is how you can push yourself down the last track or do more sprints outside, whereas treadmills go at a constant speed and don't really go as fast as needed for all out sprints

Comment

Obviously when you are running on an electric treadmill, you are only moving your legs in place, so the muscles are not worked the same or nearly as much. However, by varying the speeds and elevation from day to day, one can get a good workout, especially the cardio, without the pounding of the legs out in the street.

Comment

Originally posted by spinal
              I've read somewhere and it might of been on this site that it is harder outside because you have to push off and propel yourself forward which you dont have to do on a treadmill as you are stationary and its just the treadmill moving under you. So you dont have to push yourself forward but rather just keep your legs moving round which is easier...if that makes sense.

Personally I think there is a difference but you can compensate that by putting the speed or incline up to replicate the intensity you run at outside...I've heard of people training for marathons entirely on treadmills and putting up respectable times.

completely true, everything up above...runnign on the treadmill the surface is moving so all you have to do is hop a little and your covering ground...as to wehre running outside you haev to push off the groudn to get distance.

Comment

Working...
              X