Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

jack Johnson can does anyone catch his weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distastefully jabbing the good Elroy when you know he can't post in the History section

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      Johnson did not have the nickname the Galveston Giant for nothing. Though he was only between 6'0" and 6'1", he was large on his frame and large for the times. Flynn was a lightheavyweight, and Langford was his bane and nemesis. He managed one thin newspaper decsion over Sam which was not even unaimous, and every other time was well beaten or KO'd. He caught Dempsey right before he hooked up with Kearns, when Dempsey was still wandering around starving half the time and poorly trained.

Little Flynn was trying desperately to get out of his beating by headbutting. I expect an out of shape quality heavyweight to handle a lightheavyweight under almost all circumstances. For those who doubt the efficacy of well-conditioned extra pounds up to the limit where the benefit drops off, gaze at the career of Bob Foster, a big lightheavyweight who was a devastating puncher for that weight and who was KO'd everytime he fought a heavyweight.

Johnson was adept at fighting effectively through a large range of weights. He had already whipped Flynn before, so knew exactly what to expect. One reason he took him light was because he knew he could.

I would put Jack's mature prime weight at 208-212. The 225 he weighed for Willard was quite reasonable for his age and lifestyle, but he was beyond his best. Maybe his trainers today would feel he needed to add 15 lbs. to that prime 210. If they did it right, maybe it would not hurt, but he was already as hard as black marble. Beyond 15 additional pounds I would expect his performance to slide. 212 lbs. of pitbull-conditioned muscle can KO any man, in my view, but go to 225 if you must.

All added mass must be muscle mass to be effective. But if the effectiveness of even increased muscle mass drops off after a point, then certainly "mere" weight does, faster. Adding 20 more pounds of cottage cheese on his arms and waist would not help Johnson in any fight conceivable to me. He should not want to fight even Valuev beyond 225. I think that is your point. After a few fights from the 212 pound Johnson who dropped out of the sky, the jerks who were recently crying he was too small and would be killed by todays "big" heavies, would all change to raving fans.
      Yeah your geting where I wanted people to go lefty...I only take issue with one point you are making and its somethng I suspect we don't really disagree on, but if we do you may be right.....Forgive my language here its tongue in cheek: "ferget that nonsense about 'light heavies', you know of how many light heavies ruled the roost at the heavyweight coronation." Foster lost to no slouch....Charles won a few, a guy named Holyfield did ok and JT, who looked worse than Johnson took apart the reining big names. light heavies show that smaller guys can come up and make hay as heavyweights....Provided they are very good.

Comment

Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
        Distastefully jabbing the good Elroy when you know he can't post in the History section
        he can get me in the regular section! Thats not good enough? ok fair enough read below ELROY:

Dear Elroy

"Sorry for taking jabs at you in the history section. I will refrain and only do so in NSB"

Sincerely

Darrell Simon

Comment

Working...
        X