Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people think tyson is so overrated.........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the thread just got sidetracked. Sorry about that. I just posted on another thread a hypothetical scenario of Tyson fighting during the 60's-70's. I probably should have placed it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Imira View Post
      Maybe because the quality of opponents he fought on the way up and the fact that he lost his title by KO to a top tier journeyman and that KO went unavenged. Plus, after his KO at the hands of Holyfield and the humiliating DQ loss, he defeated no fighters of note (Golota, Saravese, Williams etc.) for the rest of his career.

I acknowlege his strengths and weaknesses and people are entitled to their own opinion, but I do think that his fans tend to overrate him far too much. At the same time, people who dislike him underrate him grossly as well.
      I'm with you AMIRA he is, and it's all true, talk about flogging a dead horse, when will they give up to common reason, he is at best number 3 in his own era so NOT in The TOP 10 Heavyweight ACHEIVERS List. Say what you like about the Very Big Names, they're there because they were Awesome Undisputed champs and none ever bit an ear off (still the most disgracefull act in 3 CENTURIES of BOXING HISTORY,.....,. Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey 1919 View Post
        yeah, that's true. i have him ranked 6th on my all time list. under ali, liston, holmes, foreman, and frazier.
        In Terms of Greatness TYSON is a top 5 fighter of the Eighties and Boxings Brightest star, but he;s just outside the Top 10 All-time HEAVYWEIGHTS (my opinion), but he obviously stands a chance of beating any and all H.W.A.T.G's on a given day due to his punching power but the same could be said of MARCIANO, DEMPSEY, LOUIS, FOREMAN or even a RON LYLE, but on sheer quality of opposition you could name at least 20 who have a better resume' than IRON MAN, REMEMBER every great could lose a fight in a split second to any very good fighter but EVERY GREAT has Stellar names on their resume.

Comment

1. Quality of opponents
          2. Lack of mental toughness

Plenty of talent, but I feel he is definitely the lesser fighter than either Holyfield or Lennox, who he is often grouped with and considered the superior to. People also think Tyson is some nightmare for Ali, which I think is simply untrue.

Comment

Working...
          X