Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious Question: All Floyd Wants Is An Even Playing Field Right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 2501 View Post
    What was so even about fighting Juan Manuel Marquez?

Facts:

Marquez never had a fight above 135 LBS (list all the fight night weights you want, but the fact remains

Floyd refused to come into the weight they originally agreed on

Floyd originally wanted to fight Marquez @ 147 LBS

Floyd keeps talking about how boxing should be an even playing field, but his choices don't reflect that. Sure, you can say that it was Marquez's fault for signing the contract. But then, wouldn't it also be Cotto's fault for agreeing to fight Pacquiao? But thats besides the point, thats not what this thread is about.

How was Marquez/Mayweather fougth on an "even playing field"?
    What Floyd did wasnt Illegal from a competitive/ safe/ and health Point of view. He broke a verbal agreement. in which he decided too pay Marquez 600k for.

IF IT WAS CONTRACTUAL, he would have lost 20% of his purse to the NSAC

• Marquez Called Mayweather out.
    • Marquez wanted this fight.
    • Marquez ask for this fight while knowing Mayweather fights at WW. meaning 141-147 pounds.

• Nobody made Maquez speak Mayweathers name after the diaz fight.
    • He decideD the best choice for his career would be to fight Mayweather.
      and it was.

Add into the fact he had no leverage in neogations.
    What do you expect?

The even Playing Field Marquez had

The even Playing Field Marquez had, was Floyd was coming off a 2 year lay off, and even worse he was coming off a 2 year lay off and about to fight one of the greatest fighters on this generation.

Floyd did not have the timing advantages going into that fight, because he was off for 2 years.

Floyd didnt have his muscle memory advantage because was off for 2 years.
    the list goes on.

The biggest Advantage Marquez had was being active while Floyd wasnt.

Floyd violated a agreement. it is not comparable to using PED's and steroids.
    If you want to compare a Agreement to Steroid abuse, you are grasping at straws.

How about we compare lying to your spouse, to trying to kill your spouse.
    That would be the Equivalent of your argument of comparing violating a agreement, vs. using steroids and PED's.

Comment

• Originally posted by check hook View Post
      i don't think he refused......reports were he was trying frantically to make the weight..........floyd is a professional...and i'm sure he was embarrassed by the situation.
      I'm not gonna defend Floyd from that, I truly don't think he cared to make 144.

But it could be worse for 2501. At least Floyd carried his fellow warrior Marquez over the finish-line, Hollies style ("he ain't heavy, he's my brother"), instead of talking **** to him the whole build-up and leaving him dazed and confused on the canvas at the end of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogler View Post
        you're wrong on the comparison. pac was asking for additional penalty on an existing rule, a rule that you obviously were mandated to follow. what floyd wants is an additional rule that you're not mandated to follow. floyd couldve said 'fuk you pac and your $1M penalty' and couldve negotiated for less.

what's the same is, if floyd had asked for more penalty, like pac would give him pac's part of the purse as a penalty if pac tested positive for drugs under the NSAC testing.
        Huh? What are you talking about?

Floyd wants additional DRUG testing aside from what NSAC does. Fighters HAVE to follow the drug testing rules that NSAC has in place.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2501 View Post
          Floyd campaigned at 147 and won a title at 154. where was Hatton campaigning at and what was the highest class he won a title at?
          You guys kill me with this argument. I mean, when they BOTH were at 140, Hatton was reportedly "not ready". Then Floyd goes UP to 54 to fight Oscar, then Hatton was ready and you expect Floyd to go all the way back down to 140? Did you forget that Mayweather was the champ at 147?

Comment

• Originally posted by COACH-WEBB View Post
            Huh? What are you talking about?

Floyd wants additional DRUG testing aside from what NSAC does. Fighters HAVE to follow the drug testing rules that NSAC has in place.
            you just said so yourself. the rule of nsac is you have to go thru their own drug testing. was floyd asked was an additional rule to this drug testing which pac isnt mandated to do.

Comment

you just said so yourself. the rule of nsac is you have to go thru their own drug testing. was floyd asked was an additional rule to this drug testing which pac isnt mandated to do.
              So the commission is fine when it comes to drug testing, but not fine when it comes to weight penalties? Because Manny only wants to obey the commission when it suits him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horus View Post
                What Floyd did wasnt Illegal from a competitive/ safe/ and health Point of view. He broke a verbal agreement. in which he decided too pay Marquez 600k for.

IF IT WAS CONTRACTUAL, he would have lost 20% of his purse to the NSAC

• Marquez Called Mayweather out.
                • Marquez wanted this fight.
                • Marquez ask for this fight while knowing Mayweather fights at WW. meaning 141-147 pounds.

• Nobody made Maquez speak Mayweathers name after the diaz fight.
                • He decideD the best choice for his career would be to fight Mayweather.
                  and it was.

Add into the fact he had no leverage in neogations.
                What do you expect?

The even Playing Field Marquez had

The even Playing Field Marquez had, was Floyd was coming off a 2 year lay off, and even worse he was coming off a 2 year lay off and about to fight one of the greatest fighters on this generation.

Floyd did not have the timing advantages going into that fight, because he was off for 2 years.

Floyd didnt have his muscle memory advantage because was off for 2 years.
                the list goes on.

The biggest Advantage Marquez had was being active while Floyd wasnt.

Floyd violated a agreement. it is not comparable to using PED's and steroids.
                If you want to compare a Agreement to Steroid abuse, you are grasping at straws.

How about we compare lying to your spouse, to trying to kill your spouse.
                That would be the Equivalent of your argument of comparing violating a agreement, vs. using steroids and PED's.
                Horus,

Are you sure it wasn't contractual??? My recollection of the matter is that it was weight was stipulated in a legal contract, and there was a rider that said if any party (Floyd) that did not honor the agreed weight limit a fine of 100,000 (I don't remember the sum) would be payed to the recipient (or Nevada - I don't remember).

Now to your point:
                If it was "verbal" how and why would Floyd feel obligated to pay a fine to Marquez (or the state of Nevada?) If it was verbal, he could of easily denied it, and kept it moving despite the media backlash (which was inevitable). Now I don't have the contract in front of me...so I can't say that my argument is fact, but I remember reading from this site (at least) that there was a fine that Floyd had to pay for this "verbal" agreement.

IMO- I didn't agree with Floyd's action at that time, despite a 2 year layoff.
                But...the past is the past.
                Floyd is number 1.

Comment

• Floyd embarrassed himself by not making weight. That said, everyone makes mistakes and he paid a lot of money for his.
                  Missing weight by 2 lbs in a catchweight bout is pretty harmless compared to possibly using Peds.

However. This was a TUNEUP fight, and not a fight to build your legacy on. I dont think anyone see this as a career defining win for Floyd (although it was impressive)

Comment

• Originally posted by COACH-WEBB View Post
                    So the commission is fine when it comes to drug testing, but not fine when it comes to weight penalties? Because Manny only wants to obey the commission when it suits him.
                    i dont know how the commission thinks but i would tend to believe if you passed all their rules, they'd have no say in the extra agreements or demands from both fighter. or put it this way. floyd could have said 'fuk u pac' for the weight penalty or tried to negotiate it lower. which was what pac did the first time about the EXTRA drug testing, his team tried to negotiate. he couldve said also 'fuk u floyd' and turn around the first time around.

Comment

i dont know how the commission thinks but i would tend to believe if you passed all their rules, they'd have no say in the extra agreements or demands from both fighter. or put it this way. floyd could have said 'fuk u pac' for the weight penalty or tried to negotiate it lower. which was what pac did the first time about the EXTRA drug testing, his team tried to negotiate. he couldve said also 'fuk u floyd' and turn around the first time around.
                      Mayweather didn't do that though, he agreed to Pacquiao's over the top request in an effort to make the fight. On the other hand, Team Pacquiao contradicted themselves left and right making excuse after excuse for why they wouldn't agree to the Mayweather's request. Why don't you hold Team Pacquiao accountable for that?

Comment

Working...
                      X