No announcement yet.

Margarito-truth or fiction?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margarito-truth or fiction?

There have been a lot of hot debates over this topic since the Margarito/Mosley wrap scandal. Margarito says that he had no idea his gloves were tainted for the fight with Mosley. Just as some atheletes caught with ped's claim the same thing. His supporters believe him while his detractors claim there is no way he could not have known. Some say if he cheated it was for that one fight. Many say he cheated for many other fights. Some have even said he became ordinary after the fight with Mosley. I personally believe his aura was shattered after that fight whether he cheated or not. At this point it's either you believe him or you don't which is pretty black and white. How will Margarito be remembered? Is Margarito's defense truth or fiction?
    Margarito was unaware and would have used illegal wraps for only the Mosley fight.
    25.00%
    Margarito knew of his illegal wraps and used them for other fights.
    75.00%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    There have been a lot of hot debates over this topic since the Margarito/Mosley wrap scandal. Margarito says that he had no idea his gloves were tainted for the fight with Mosley. Just as some atheletes caught with ped's claim the same thing. His supporters believe him while his detractors claim there is no way he could not have known. Some say if he cheated it was for that one fight. Many say he cheated for many other fights. Some have even said he became ordinary after the fight with Mosley. I personally believe his aura was shattered after that fight whether he cheated or not. At this point it's either you believe him or you don't which is pretty black and white. How will Margarito be remembered? Is Margarito's defense truth or fiction?
    It'll never be proven one way or another, but I believe it's fiction. When I fought I would always watch my hands being taped and would certainly know if there was any difference in the routine. There is no way a professional fighter wouldn't know.

As far as his legacy goes.....it will always be tainted in my opinion. He was always seen as a very good fighter, a tough guy, but the Cotto fight propelled him into the limelight. It simply makes no sense a fighter would cheat as the favorite (against Mosley) but not the as the underdog (against Cotto).

Comment

Everytime someone talks about Margarito they will say "But was he using plaster?"

Despite it being only and always speculation, that's simply how it will always be.

Comment

He definitely knew just trying bull***** as a víctim because he got caught. Hes a piece of *****. I got so much respect for resto who has done more then enough to pay his dues. Hes suffered his whole life but atleast he doesnt deny it but tries to get panama to open up and man up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
          He definitely knew just trying bull***** as a víctim because he got caught. Hes a piece of *****. I got so much respect for resto who has done more then enough to pay his dues. Hes suffered his whole life but atleast he doesnt deny it but tries to get panama to open up and man up.
          What Resto did was many, many, many times worse then what has happened with Margarito, is there actually any official documentation publicly released on what was specifically wrong with Margarito's wraps ?, everyone speculates that it was some trace of plaster but I've seen no 100% proof that's what it was.

How can you have respect for Resto ?, there is 0 evidence that Margarito used any substance or there was anything wrong with his wraps previous the Mosley event, Resto had padding removed from his gloves and his wraps were soaked in plaster, he destroyed Collins as a person, I don't get it, whatever Resto has done since then does not absolve this at all and whatever was wrong with Margarito's wraps doesn't come close to that incident at all.
          Last edited by NChristo; 12-05-2011, 05:14 PM.

Comment

My issue is as much about whether he knew about it, as whether it actually benefitted him.

Plaster of Paris bandages have been rumoured almost as long as the fight game. But when Cleveland Williams agreed to be tested with plaster to see if it was of any benefit I seem to recall him saying something to the effect that it was useless and turned into a slushy mess when he started sweating.

There is also the thought that hardened plaster could crack and shatter the fighter's own nuckles.

Plus, the fighter and trainer would have to be aware that post fight, people would be shaking his hand when the gloves were off......and anything ridiculously hard would be questioned.

Another thought is that if I were the fighter I wouldn't want something in my gloves weighing them down, thus reducing the speed of my punches and adding to my fatigue.

I don't doubt that Margarito will have known if something was being slipped into his bandages. He will have been bandaged so many thousands of times in his life that he'd be aware of any deviation from the norm.

Even if it didn't improve the devastation of his punching, it may however have had an almost placebo effect in improving confidence in his power?!

Either way, I'm sure Margarito is guilty as sin..........but I think he'd have won that first fight regardless, he was relentless that night!

Full credit to Cotto this time. That was the finest I have ever seen him box. Margarito hasn't been quite the same since the Mosley encounter......and the Pacquiao fight wont have helped either.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
              What Resto did was many, many, many times worse then what has happened with Margarito, is there actually any official documentation publicly released on what was specifically wrong with Margarito's wraps ?, everyone speculates that it was some trace of plaster but I've seen no 100% proof that's what it was.

How can you have respect for Resto ?, there is 0 evidence that Margarito used any substance or there was anything wrong with his wraps previous the Mosley event, Resto had padding removed from his gloves and his wraps were soaked in plaster, he destroyed Collins as a person, I don't get it, whatever Resto has done since then does not absolve this at all and whatever was wrong with Margarito's wraps doesn't come close to that incident at all.
              Yeah because living in your car and under boxing gyms for the last 30 plus years isnt paying his due and atleast admitting to it. Margarito has no power anymore he struggled with a journeyman.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
                Yeah because living in your car and under boxing gyms for the last 30 plus years isnt paying his due and atleast admitting to it. Margarito has no power anymore he struggled with a journeyman.
                No, no it's not at all, he's paying for it but it'll never be enough to absolve it, you do know that Resto denied any allegations as well as Margarito is doing at the moment right ?, it took him 20 years after the event too finally come out and say yep I knew what was happening but not only was the padding removed but the wraps were covered in illegal substance, I knew full well the possibilities of the outcome.

He KNEW what he could possibly do too Collins, the man is scum, I don't really give 2 ****s about how ****ty his living environments have been since, he deserves it.

So even though he lead a man to suicide and denied the allegations for 20 years, you have respect for him ?, but you have none for Margarito because he got caught with something wrong with his wraps in 1 fight and denies it.
                Last edited by NChristo; 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

If margs used wraps he would've permanently injured somebody like resto did. Look at cotto's face after the 2nd fight, he still got marked up badly despite running for 9 rounds.

Comment

Back on topic, I'm not really sure what too think, does anyone know if the official documents on the wraps have been released to the public ?, haven't seen any. He wasn't caught using anything previously so I don't believe he did and no one can prove it without any solid evidence, I think he probably knew something was wrong with the wraps but is lying, but I think he only used them for the Mosley fight, in between both options on the poll.
                    Either way he lost a lot in that fight and after it clearly, Mosley and Pac gave him some career ending beatings, he would of never been as good as he was after them.

Comment

Working...
                    X