Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kovlaev-Agnew: HBO production values, empty arena & other miscellaneous observations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
    Here's another one^^^^^
    No one here is even bringing up his name besides you. You have the guys nuts in your mouth every single thread, everyday. It's disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimgash View Post
      He was gonna fight Fonfara first either way, if he does fight Hopkins after it'll be more money and a bigger name...I guess it has to see how it plays out for now. It's sort of like Guerrero for Mayweather tbh....it seemed dumb but he made good and fought Canelo for the largest ever payday in boxing. At the moment though it's a mess but it's wait and see I guess. I'm not going to pass judgement before it all plays out. If it's not Hopkins then it's a ****ty move but I think it will be....he has to cash out eventually and Sho won't pay him like that forever.
      If he fought Kovalev instead of Fonfara, he wouldnt be fighting Fonfara. Its just common sense. Fighters avoid fighters to take bigger pay days but in this case he avoided kovalev for a lesser paying fight. But now he's all about business? What a joke. If he beat Kovalev, its would only make the Hopkins fight bigger.

Theres no reason to keep pushing these fights. We've seen it with Juanma-Gamboa, make the fight when its ripe, which was right now! Unless you're his accountant, how can you support him fighting Fonfara instead of Kovalev? Because he might make more money down the line against Hopkins? He can makes much more money in the present time if he fought KOvalev, the protection of stevenson is pathetic, what kind of fan finds this ducking acceptable is beyond me

Comment

Originally posted by Grimgash View Post
        He said anyone from 154-168...Ward said send him a contract (there were tons of articles on BS about it). He never did. Also his defenders said he had business at 160 but he's fighting and started the Chavez negotiations....that's about all that needs to be said.
        Why would he send Ward the contract? He made 400k for his last HBO fight, Ward made 2m. Did Edwin Rodriguez send Ward the contract? How about Guerrero and Maidana, they send Floyd the contract? You should know that in boxing it's generally the money guy that sends the contract, and Ward didn't do that.

Chavez is the biggest money around, who wouldn't take that opportunity if it came? Ward would love it if he wasn't too busy suing his promoter.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBlanco View Post
          1. HBO production values seem to be going downhill fast. I'm not really talking about the static/transmission problems in last night's fight - though I can't remember the last time I've seen either WCB or Showtime Champ. Boxing have issues like that. It's more that it looks like HBO is cutting corners in other areas. Anyone notice that the personal profile features now look like ESPN's? Just a camera, a guy sitting on a chair and a backdrop - no more going on location to a boxer's gym or neighborhood to find out more about him. Fights were shot like an ESPN fight too - very close in, no wide shots, no atmosphere...but of course that may have a lot to do with #2:

2. Kovalev has a long way to go it terms of star power and selling tickets. Kovalev-Agnew arena looked half-full. For all the talk about HBO building stars, it seems clear that Kovalev isn't one yet. Capacity in that ballroom is about 3,000, and it looked like it was half-full (which helps explain why the fight was shot with such tight camera angles). Selling less than 2,000 seats definitely shows that Kovalev isn't a star yet.

3. Other random thoughts.
          • I have no desire to see either Mayfield or Dulorme anytime soon.
          • Except for the replay of the Pac PPV, HBO has no boxing on air for the next seven weeks. Where is all their money being spent?
          • I will be very surprised if Chavez-GGG gets made for July.
          I was at the fight last night. and it was not empty. almost no seat was left and the crowd was electric. they filed out early after the knockout. but a huge crowd stayed afterwards. Sergey even stepped out the ring and walked right into a sea of fans to take pics and slap hands with his belt around his waste. It was a great night. Everyone, please disregard this guy's post. It's gibberish

Comment

Another SDF member exposed... tsk tsk tsk.

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
              Lol this was his first HBO headline fight, of course nobody in the Atlantic City area will know who the hell Sergey Kovalev is

Brb not a "star" so doesn't deserve Adonis

That fight could of sold 100 tickets and he would still be as good as he is and still a titlist meaning Adonis avoiding Kovalev is still a duck.

Quack

There were a lot of Russian and Polish folks there. But overall, it was a lot of people who know who Kovalev is. It wasn't a fight for the casual boxing fan. People there knew exactly what they were coming to see. And thats what we all got. Another knockout. This is a garbage thread. Bring it all down

Comment

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
                No one here is even bringing up his name besides you. You have the guys nuts in your mouth every single thread, everyday. It's disgusting.
                SDF in the house!^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                  i also didn't know whether Agnew's dad was a pastor or a member of Run DMC
                  Yeah, I wondered if the Spanish Inquisition were making a return.

Comment

Some Nice heels for SuperTramp:

[IMG]http://ist2-2.filesor.com/***********.com/1/_/_/_/1/2/3/q/T/23qTJ/Duck%201.jpg[/IMG]

Watch how you run in them.

Comment

Working...
                    X