Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are u NOT a boxer (not amateur or pro) but HAVE sparred before?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
    To add on to what u said about "little things that people dont see"... Let me just say that its pretty much impossible to understand how much a good jab (especially doubled up) will blind the FUCK outta you... Even when they aint quite landing! People dont realize how big gloves are and how your line of sight can be allllll the way covered up from a punch even when you block it... I think more people would appreciate defense if they understood how impossibly sick it is to watch top fighters mix defense and offensive so fluidly. I could never 100% get tired of a Rigondeaux or Mayweather style even when I can see how the average observer will see only missed punches in certain exchanges
    Indeed, and touching on that subject; the way your movements are interrupted when you are hit. You can have something brilliant planned and "Bam!" your brain and body are resetting because you just got it. Not even necessarily from a hard shot. Juts a clean jab, as you mentioned, will fk over the moves you were about to implement.

And, (now that I'm on the subject, lol) how exhausting it is to miss when punching. How blocking actually DOES drain you and can take the wind out of you. Etc, etc, etc.

I don't want people to think that those of us trading stories and experiences are trying to sound like badasses or anything. Learning this stuff is actually very humbling and you really have to be able to eat your pride when learning.

Comment

Sparring can be some hellacious shit even if coach says "only throw jabs"... trust me man that head gear does NOT protect you from getting your nose busted the **** up from a well placed jab or straight shot
      Getting hit comes with the territory...if it's a big deal to get a busted up nose or lip, find a new sport. Some gyms can be pretty competitive but it's still not the same mental dynamic as an actual fight. Nobody intervenes if a fight gets too heated, there's no headger, the gloves are smaller and your opponent is not a gym mate or training partner and is definitely trying to ko you. I agree that some training definitely gives a different perspective to the sport, but a little sparring doesn't make a guy some type of authority around here.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
        Getting hit comes with the territory...if it's a big deal to get a busted up nose or lip, find a new sport. Some gyms can be pretty competitive but it's still not the same mental dynamic as an actual fight. Nobody intervenes if a fight gets too heated, there's no headger, the gloves are smaller and your opponent is not a gym mate or training partner and is definitely trying to ko you. I agree that some training definitely gives a different perspective to the sport, but a little sparring doesn't make a guy some type of authority around here.
        What point are you trying to get across here? That sparring isn't an actual street fight? Ok you got your point bro. I dont know where the whole authority **** you're talking about is coming from because i never mentioned that lol... relax yaself

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Indeed, and touching on that subject; the way your movements are interrupted when you are hit. You can have something brilliant planned and "Bam!" your brain and body are resetting because you just got it. Not even necessarily from a hard shot. Juts a clean jab, as you mentioned, will fk over the moves you were about to implement.

And, (now that I'm on the subject, lol) how exhausting it is to miss when punching. How blocking actually DOES drain you and can take the wind out of you. Etc, etc, etc.

I don't want people to think that those of us trading stories and experiences are trying to sound like badasses or anything. Learning this stuff is actually very humbling and you really have to be able to eat your pride when learning.
          **** it! I dont get to talk about sparring experiences at my job or with my friends/family. I cant really get in depth about a, say, an Andre Direll fight with 90% of people i know- thats why i come here! Its a boxing forum. If thats offending somebody then theyre just unhappy anyways

Comment

Went in intending to box, coaches dicked me around for about a year. First sparring match I was put in against a 360lbs Super Heavy weight with around ten or so fights, I was a middle weight with zero fights. Badly bruised my ribs and had to stay out for 2 months. They told me they were going easy on me. Came back, put me in with another super heavyweight they actually told me he was a cruiser this time against someone who had supposedly beaten the AM SHW champ of Ireland. The guy actually told me he was a cruiser then immediately told me he had beaten the SHW champ (but got robbed) in the same sentence.

Knocked me around for three rounds, gave me no pointers, every time I looked at the coach he was staring at his own feet, then after they told me they were giving me the easy guys, total bollix.

Came back again none the less. Still kept training. Didn't really give a **** about what they were doing because I knew I was better. In the end I paid my membership fee, had to move away and they never even bothered processing my licence to box.
            Last edited by croz; 04-29-2016, 07:38 PM.

Comment

It's obvious from reading posts around here that at least 90% of the forum has never even jumped in the ring and sparred, let alone actually competed.

Guys on here talk about it like it's easy, and talk about guys fighting for world titles like they aren't even good fighters...

I sparred an international level amateur the other day, with 150+ fight. Felt like I was drowning in there after a round or two. Guys at world level are unbelievable.

I only had 20 fights, and I know I would punch the day lights out of nearly the whole forum.

Comment

Originally posted by MalcolmSEX View Post
                It's obvious from reading posts around here that at least 90% of the forum has never even jumped in the ring and sparred, let alone actually competed.

Guys on here talk about it like it's easy, and talk about guys fighting for world titles like they aren't even good fighters...

I sparred an international level amateur the other day, with 150+ fight. Felt like I was drowning in there after a round or two. Guys at world level are unbelievable.

I only had 20 fights, and I know I would punch the day lights out of nearly the whole forum.

I'll say this much. In my 34 years in boxing gyms, I've seen NUMEROUS guys come in off the street.... regular guys, gang members, football players (one current NFL player and another college All-American), MMA, etc etc...many thought boxing was easy and that the only real criteria to hang with an experienced fighter was to: Be a man, think they are tough, lifted weights, have a bad attitude, have "played sports all my life" and have heart (One guy told me, "As a MAN I would NEVER stay down from a body shot, I would NEVER quit.)" Most find that having NO experience in a real boxing ring is really not a good thing when you think that you can compete at more than 2 percent (out of 100) level of intensity. I've seen MANY MANY MANY learn the hard way. Its why I would NEVER go to a high school baseball team and ask if I could try and hit off the best pitcher on the team because I... like baseball, used to play baseball as a kid, watch baseball and generally think "how hard can it be, right?"

Comment

What point are you trying to get across here? That sparring isn't an actual street fight? Ok you got your point bro. I dont know where the whole authority **** you're talking about is coming from because i never mentioned that lol... relax yaself
                  Lol...the post you quoted was a response...i was just reiterating. I didn't say anything about a street fight...i meant a fight in the ring.

Comment

I was a gym rat, PAL police Atheletics league. I never had the talent to warrant attempting to become pro. I could take a punch, and dish one out. I relied on power, which I did have. I neglected developing skills, because I had power.

I see this all the time, boxers focusing on their strongest tools, and ignoring their weak points.

I got facial scars to remind me, mental scars to taunt me, of my inability to listen and comprehend, what my trainers tried to teach me.

Glad I work for a living. I was too stupid to understand then, what I teach now!

Comment

As a kid and teenager I did. My stepdad's father was a boxer in Mexico. I remember going to the ranch where he had a small gym and he had all the young kids spar, then would tell us what we did wrong. Really learned a lot from him.

Comment

Working...
                      X