No announcement yet.

Does GGG deserve to be on HBO........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TBear View Post
    Many hbo and even untelevised hbo undercards are televised in Poland and Russia.

The thing with Gennady Golovkin is that he is fighting in New York. Even though his opponent may not be HBO(or title) worthy, it is a chance to showcase Golovkin's skills and power. Many other eastern European fighters would rather fight in the safer environment of Germany but at least Golovkin is fighting abroad. This will increase his marketability on both sides of the Atlantic and create U.S. interest in a possible unification and lead to more major bouts and more money.
    Good post Tbear!

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      Many hbo and even untelevised hbo undercards are televised in Poland and Russia.
      How about Kazakhstan?

Comment

There are more than a few Eastern European fighters, Golovkin included, who deserve more fights on HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          How about Kazakhstan?
          I don't know about there. I get dvd's of unaired HBO undercards that were recorded in Poland and Russia but are not available in the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            There are more than a few Eastern European fighters, Golovkin included, who deserve more fights on HBO.
            Thing is, it isn't about who is deserving, it's about who the American public will buy and watch.

Comment

What exciting American fighters would be a good business decision to put on Eastern European TV?

Comment

Of course, i think it's perfect so he can showcase himself and bring himself to a new audience but not the ones that overhype him though, Hopefully he can bring pressure on the top names and then the TV networks would put money on the table for one of those guys to fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  Not sure I'm following you here. Why would you put a boring but skilled eastern European on American television? For that matter, why would you put a boring but skilled American on eastern European television? This is a business that needs to cater to the majority, how would this help them at all?
                  This is true, but I don't see too many whining there's not enough Euros on HBO. It's mostly an argument regarding the Klitschkos, esp Wlad who is usually boring. Here you can't draw any conclusion. The economics are way different, Golovkin is happy to fight in the US for relative peanuts. The K's fight abroad for a good reason, there's no way they can fill a stadium here.

The other factor is the new HBO management, and their focus on MW. Remember Pirog was getting nowhere with Greenburg. As soon as Hershman took power, Pirog was granted a date.

Comment

Thing is, it isn't about who is deserving, it's about who the American public will buy and watch.
                    It's all about what sells at the end of the day,their are many talented eastern european fighters but Golovkin brings the excitement that is needed to make it across the pond

Comment

The reason Golovkin will make it on HBO is because one, he is not stiff. Two, he fights with power. Three, he rips shots to the body. Four, he looks and acts like a choir boy but fights like an assasin.
                      I'm not sure where you're going wit this. What exactly are you trying to say?

That all eastern euro fighters are stiff , have no power or attack the body? Or that GGG is the only eastern euro fighter worthy of fighting on the almighty HBO?

The "business" aspect is what kills boxing. That's what leads to poor judging, cherry picking fighters for PPV numbers, mismatches due simply to popularity, etc etc...IMO.

Again, I'm not sure i exactly understand your thread, sorry if I am missing something. Anyway there is a handful of good prospects who are going to be fighting on American Television/HBO this year, and rightfully so. Who cares where a fighter comes from? I want to see the best/ most deserving fighters fight each other based on skill and get national tv time based on skill, nothing else.

Aside from GGG, you'll be seeing a lot of Glazkov, Sergey Kovalev, Khabib Allekherdiev, Denis Shafikov, Provodnikov, among others... On American tv and in big fights this year. I expect Khabib and Kovalev to explode this year and gain a lot of American fans.

Comment

Working...
                      X