Collapse
No announcement yet.

looks like it'll be Gavin Rees facing Adrien Broner on Feb 16th on HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It'd be cool if the Ghost came down to 135 to fight Broner. No doubt, the GB comp at 135 for Broner is not good enough, although that is not his fault.

I imagine Broner will eventually move to 140, but he's a little undersized for that weight division, in terms of height and reach.

The thing about Mayweather, the guy was a damned tall lighweight, and even tall for a WW. He has it all, the speed, skills, and reach advantage. Broner is missing that one piece for total domination.

Comment

• He's fighting May 4th as well. So Rees is a tune up for May.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrokenHat View Post
        It'd be cool if the Ghost came down to 135 to fight Broner. No doubt, the GB comp at 135 for Broner is not good enough, although that is not his fault.

I imagine Broner will eventually move to 140, but he's a little undersized for that weight division, in terms of height and reach.

The thing about Mayweather, the guy was a damned tall lighweight, and even tall for a WW. He has it all, the speed, skills, and reach advantage. Broner is missing that one piece for total domination.
        Broner is not to small for 140. Broner himself has stated he sees himself maxing out at '47 or even '54. Please take a look at pictures of Broner, when he is standing next to welterweights he appears just as big.

Comment

Yep, so was Mike Tyson. Same could be said for Pacquiao as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by RossCA View Post
            Yep, so was Mike Tyson. Same could be said for Pacquiao as well.
            You're right about this. But those are the few exceptions, one of which Broner could be, I'll admit. Just saying he doesn't have that automatic advantage that Mayweather has, especially at the lower weights.

Broner said he sees himself going to WW or even JMW? That would be awesome, more power to him if he does that. Still he looks way too small to be a junior middle weight, even welter looks like a bit of stretch.

Comment

You're right about this. But those are the few exceptions, one of which Broner could be, I'll admit. Just saying he doesn't have that automatic advantage that Mayweather has, especially at the lower weights.

Broner said he sees himself going to WW or even JMW? That would be awesome, more power to him if he does that. Still he looks way too small to be a junior middle weight, even welter looks like a bit of stretch.
              From his ESPN chat in November:
              victor (north jersey)
              what weight do you think you top out at?

Adrien Broner (1:04 PM)
              Welterweight.
              (Sorry I can't find the 2nd quote ATM that says he could even see himself going to '54)

He definitely has the body for welterweight
              Broner:
              Height- 5' 7" Reach: 71inches

Compare to some other big names around 147:
              Pacquiao:
              Height- 5' 6 1/2" reach- 67inches

Floyd Mayweather:
              Height- 5' 8" Reach: 72inches

Cotto:
              Height-5' 7" Reach: 67inches
              (All from BoxRec)

Last: Broner has been rehydrating to the upper 140's his last two fights for training to hit the weight limits in the '30s. 140 will be no problem, and soon after 147 will be easy for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heavy Hitter View Post
                From his ESPN chat in November:
                victor (north jersey)
                what weight do you think you top out at?

Adrien Broner (1:04 PM)
                Welterweight.
                (Sorry I can't find the 2nd quote ATM that says he could even see himself going to '54)

He definitely has the body for welterweight
                Broner:
                Height- 5' 7" Reach: 71inches

Compare to some other big names around 147:
                Pacquiao:
                Height- 5' 6 1/2" reach- 67inches

Floyd Mayweather:
                Height- 5' 8" Reach: 72inches

Cotto:
                Height-5' 7" Reach: 67inches
                (All from BoxRec)

Last: Broner has been rehydrating to the upper 140's his last two fights for training to hit the weight limits in the '30s. 140 will be no problem, and soon after 147 will be easy for him.
                I stand corrected. I guess he's not that far off at all. Also Broner is wide as hell.

Broner's interview on British TV, that someone linked to, where he was talking about Amir Khan and Ricky Burns, definitely made me like him more. He didn't act a fool or overly macho, or over do it on trash talk. I think he's flat out cool and funny.

Comment

Working...
                X