No announcement yet.

Just Starting Out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Starting Out

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to boxing.

I have absolutely no experience in boxing as far as gyms or sparring goes(Besides the occasional MMA that my friend and I would do, which isn't boxing I know, but it is my only sort of sparring experience). I've picked up the basics online and I've stopped eating any kind of junk or fast food and have been eating a lot of fiber, protein, and carbs. I've also bought some basic training equipment(Gloves, a heavy bag, hand wraps, jump rope, and a pull up bar).

I have a wingspan of 72 inches, I'm 6''1' and weigh 148 lbs. I've never really played any sports, but last year around the beginning of fall I started lifting weights and running(I went from about 130 lbs. to about my current weight). I'm not planning on joining a boxing gym any time soon, because there is only one within reasonable distance from where I live and I'm fairly sure I would be the only white person there(Not that I'm racist, I just think the language barrier would be rather difficult to overcome). I mean, I will join a gym eventually, but I want to not completely suck when I join.

So, could I get some general advice or pointers on things that would help my boxing? Should I put my pride behind me and join the gym as a complete newbie, so I don't screw up?

Oh, and what I have really really low stamina so I've been trying to build that up from running, but how else could I build it up?

JOIN THE GYM. they will teach you the basics and you dont want to teach yourself. if you practice the wrong things then you will just be starting over once you get there. Dont worry about your skill level, even if you have never boxed before, they will help you with everything. JOINN THE GYMMMMM

Comment

Join the gym. Doesn't matter who is there work hard and sweat next to these guys and you'll be fine. They will teach you way more than you can learn on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Randoh View Post
        I'm 6''1' and weigh 148 lbs.
        Eat a cheeseburger before you perish!!! !!! !!!

Comment

lmfao language barrier.... My gym is in one of the project buildings in You see white kids in there all the time... all different races asian dudes. Honestly if it sounds like an ethnic basement type gym I feel those are the best environments.

And It's better to start off knowing nothing then starting off knowing the wrong things. One of the biggest problem is creating bad habits in boxing if u start off sharp and stay consistent you'll go some where.

Comment

if I may, I'm a beginner too, and I'm also new here. My weight is a bit higher than yours ) but I think we're at the same level: had a bit of basic experience. I also watched instructional videos and hundreds of fights and reproduced movements in front of my miror.
            I went to a real boxing gym for the first time 3 weeks ago, and since then I've been going there almost everyday. The first day I went there confident, telling trainers I had never been to a gym, but I had some experience. After 2 or 3 days, I had realized that I didn't know anything. I had been watching Freddy Roach's videos, damn!!! But it didnt help.
            It's not a matter of beeing gifted or anything like that.
            Only a trainer or an experienced fighter can give you good advices, by watching you. I myself had to re-learn EVERYTHING. my guard was bad, my movements, weight transfers, punches were weak, etc. I really understood this when i did my first sparring. I got owned by a kid half my age, who had been in this gym for 3 months...
            Don't be afraid to go to the gym. it's the only way to learn. and usually, in every gym you'll find more experienced fighters who'll be able to give you advices. Don't be afraid to ask them questions. Whatever their skin color or accent, everyone goes into a gym because they like boxing... in mine, they all have french accents! scary! but I try not to think about it.

Comment

Go to a gym. And what do you mean with language barrier? boxing is a universal language.
              Last edited by ChowAce; 06-01-2011, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Go to a gym. And what do you mean with language barrier? boxing is a universal language.
                true. whatever differences in social status, language (?), color, culture... sports and arts are universal. I know it might sound cheesy but it's true. I 'm from France and I played music and sports in many different countries, different continents, and it allways went very well.. you shouldn't be scared of driving 5 miles to get a nice introduction to real boxing. Hitting a bag is not boxing.
                All you risk is to get respect from other guys, and having to tell your parents you have black friends.

Comment

Join the gym immediately before you **** yourself up beyond repair. In a few months you'll be hating yourself for not joining sooner anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X