Combine boxing routine with...?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combine boxing routine with...?

Hello.
    I'm thinking about combine my boxing routine with something, another type of sport, exercise, etc..., to be a more complete athlete.
    I thought about jiujittsu, mma, crossfit, bodyweight exercises, ballet, triathlon, duathlon, or those weird exercises that people does at those training centers, i don't know...
    Which are your thoughts?

Depends on your goals. If you're interested in combat, I would say jujitsu is one of your best bets. If it's just fitness I would say running, swimming, cross fit or implementing a comprehensive strength program.

If you want good balance, but want something less stressful on the body I would recommend yoga.

It also depends how much time you want to dedicate to boxing vs your other physical activity of choice. If boxing is going to take a bit a back sit role, then I would consider marathon or triathlon training.

Comment

Combine it with soccer. Give those guys something to really lay down and cry about. I can see it now, some guys rushing the defense and he's about to shoot on goal when suddenly a guy from the other team runs up and lays him out with a well placed right hand to the jaw. The guy crashes to the earth as his opponent steals the ball and rushes back the other way, until he's clipped with an uppercut and falls to the ground crying. Make soccer great again!!!!

Comment

Rate this video One to Ten

closer to 10 then go for aerobic/Yoga

If closer to 6 then maybe Zumba/spin classes

If its closer to 3 think about a grappling art/triathlon

If its 1 ... then try MMA

Comment

any 1 who has real insight? i'm looking into this thread too hahaha

Comment

You could go for high intensity, interval sports?
            For example - playing basketball would be better than running marathons.
            BJJ won't hurt but its not ideal.. unless the isometric muscular endurance is the same as repetitive muscular endurance?

I used to train at 75-80% (sometimes 100%) for an hour and half - with 1 min breaks, but then i trained with a dude who went 100% for 45 minutes - with 30 second breaks. It taught me that fitness for boxing is all about intensity NOT duration.

I was wasting so much time every night and (unless your doing technique work) you don't need to be in the gym two hours every night.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
              Hello.
              I'm thinking about combine my boxing routine with something, another type of sport, exercise, etc..., to be a more complete athlete.
              I thought about jiujittsu, mma, crossfit, bodyweight exercises, ballet, triathlon, duathlon, or those weird exercises that people does at those training centers, i don't know...
              Which are your thoughts?
              Swim...............................

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                Swim...............................
                ^This is a really smart response. Swimming HELPS your body recuperate from boxing and extends your cardio with almost zero additional wear and tear.

JJ and Judo are rough on the body and do not contribute to boxing unless you grind inside like Ward. You can't take it easy in those sports because practice involves matt time, every time. If you don't keep up you will get roughed up in every practice. That means, a lot of your attention gets pulled away from boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  ^This is a really smart response. Swimming HELPS your body recuperate from boxing and extends your cardio with almost zero additional wear and tear.

JJ and Judo are rough on the body and do not contribute to boxing unless you grind inside like Ward. You can't take it easy in those sports because practice involves matt time, every time. If you don't keep up you will get roughed up in every practice. That means, a lot of your attention gets pulled away from boxing.
                  Yeah man swimming I think is one of the most underrated workouts in any fight sport. Like you said, its 0 wear on the body.

And yeah man, I think boxing and wrestling are 2 sports that you basically have to live and actively do it to be good at it. For any high school aged (or younger) kid who wants to do a 2nd sport to either boxing or wrestling I always tell them, Swim, Cross country, or track.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post

This is cool man, but what's your take if on how we should integrate this swimming thing into our program, my gym has a swimming pool at it's first floor, so no hassle.

My routine is that everyday except Sunday I box, lucky if sparring. weights some days after boxing, then jog every other night. This thread is really awesome anyone know a good swimming program to integrate into my daily routine?

Comment

Working...
                    X