Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump using China tariffs for North Korean diplomacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [REAL TALK] Trump using China tariffs for North Korean diplomacy?

Update (April 27th 2018)

So did I call it? When even CNN posts such an article, you know they must have hated writing it...

Trump used the tariffs and trade war on China to force them to enforce UN sanctions on North Korea, adding a lot to the pressure...

South Korea credits Trump for opening door to talks with North

South Korea's foreign minister has said she believes President Donald Trump is largely responsible for bringing North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to the negotiating table.

Speaking ahead of Friday's historic summit between the leaders of North and South Korea, Kang Kyung-wha told CNN that the US President had played a significant role in bringing the two sides together.

"Clearly, credit goes to President Trump," Kang told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in Seoul. "He's been determined to come to grips with this from day one."

[.....]
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/world...ntl/index.html

Does Trump deserve the credit for peace talks with North Korea?

Claim: Donald Trump and South Korean President Moon Jae-in agree the US President deserves credit for peace talks with North Korea.
    Verdict: Only the historical record will reveal what influenced these talks, but evidence suggests it was the South Koreans who encouraged dialogue with the North, along with pressure from Chinese enforced sanctions.

Leaders of North and South Korea are expected to meet 27 April, for their third leaders' summit since the Korean War armistice was signed in 1953. Then in May or June, Donald Trump is expected to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, for the first ever meeting between a leader of the North and a sitting US president.
    After mounting tension and military threats traded between the US and North Korea, the historic talks may bring about a de-escalation of hostilities, as well as a peace treaty to end the 68-year Korean War.

[.....]

South Korean President Moon Jae-in said publicly too that President Trump deserved big credit for bringing about talks to discuss peace with the North. "It could be a resulting work of the US-led sanctions and pressure."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43895428

Trump deserves a lot of credit for historic North-South Korea summit, diplomat says

South Korea’s foreign minister – a key player in this week’s inter-Korean summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in – said that a high-stakes meeting between President Trump and Kim could end North Korea’s growing nuclear and missile threat.

“It does indicate,” South Korea Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha told Fox News, “that we have an historic opportunity to resolve the North Korean nuclear and missile threat once and for all.”

She acknowledged that re-starting talks with the top leaders, on all sides, was unusual diplomacy. But brushed off the idea that it was risky.

[.....]

As President Moon’s partner in this peace mission, Minister Kang gives President Trump a lot of credit.
    “I think clearly he saw this as an immediate, the most challenging global security agenda, not just for the United States but for the whole world,” she said.

She said President Trump’s tough talk on North Korea has not negatively impacted peace talks.

“The daily messaging is one thing,” she said. “The longer-term effect of those messages is what really mattered and it has forced the North Korean leader to change his calculations.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04...omat-says.html

Original Post (March 28th 2018)

I think Trump might be using the China tariffs as a way to pressure China into handling the North Korean denuclearization talks and using them as a middleman to arrange a meeting with Kim Jong-un.

That is not stupid at all. America and China do not need to be in a trade war, and this might be a ploy for the greater good. If Trumo manages to accomplish that with North Korea, it would be extremely good for the World...

Discuss...

Last edited by Vlad_; 04-27-2018, 10:07 AM.

China already called in NK for a secret meeting and advised them not to meet with Trump.

Comment

This won't work.

Only 'red line diplomacy' like we saw under Obama ever works.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
        I think Trump might be using the China tariffs as a way to pressure China into handling the North Korean denuclearization talks and using them as a middleman to arrange a meeting with Kim Jong-un.

That is not stupid at all. America and China do not need to be in a trade war, and this might be a ploy for the greater good. If Trumo manages to accomplish that with North Korea, it would be extremely good for the World...

Discuss...

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
        This won't work.

Only 'red line diplomacy' like we saw under Obama ever works.
        I really dont like to dabble to much into international politics because I am naive to a lot that goes on. So my question is, if NK denuclearizes itll be because of the tariffs we put on China? Also, will we lift the tariffs if they disarm?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
          I really dont like to dabble to much into international politics because I am naive to a lot that goes on. So my question is, if NK denuclearizes itll be because of the tariffs we put on China? Also, will we lift the tariffs if they disarm?
          It's the sanctions put on NK that brought them to the table.

As for if the sanctions end if they denuclearize, I don't know the answer to that.

I'd assume so, but Trump is a "trust but verify" type, so it might take some time before he lifts them.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
            China already called in NK for a secret meeting and advised them not to meet with Trump.
            Any link to confirm that?

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
              It's the sanctions put on NK that brought them to the table.

As for if the sanctions end if they denuclearize, I don't know the answer to that.

I'd assume so, but Trump is a "trust but verify" type, so it might take some time before he lifts them.
              He might use the tariffs as a bargaining chip for now, I think.

Comment

Biblical prophesy being played out here and now.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                  Biblical prophesy being played out here and now.
                  You think NK is going to blow some **** up?

Comment

I thought the whole tariff thing was because our politicians get suckered into massive trade deficit

What about the trade deficit though?

Comment

Working...
                    X