Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more Cuban boxers left at the elite level

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machado and Forestal are the best prospects imo, I think one of the main problems has been the Cuban style of boxing business, they surround themselves with unethical, ignorant leeches that have robbed much of them of their best years.

Comment

There are currently no professional Cuban world champions, but there are still Cubans at the elite level. Lara remains up there, so he is elite. I would say Dorticos and Barthelemy deserve to be considered so in their respective weight classes. Rigo is MIA, but would normally still be considered elite. As for prospects and potential prospects, others have already mentioned all the names I’m familiar with. The period that brought us Gamboa, Rigondeaux and Solis, et al, has pretty much come and gone. Any future crop of Cubans is very dependent on political circumstances, so it’s anyones guess if or when we’ll see another wave. On a personal level, I’ve always wanted to see Robeisy Ramirez go pro. He’s 24 years old, fights aggressively, and is already a two time Olympic gold medalist.

Comment

Top Ten Cubans Under 30yrs Old, Still on the Come up, According to BoxRec

1 Leduan Barthelemy, 28yrs, 13-0-1 (7), 126lbs
        2 Hairon Socarras, 25yrs, 17-0-3 (11), 122lbs
        3 Daniel Matellon, 30yrs, 7-0-2 (4), 108lbs
        4 Leosdan Nunez, 23yrs, 7-0 (4), 118lbs
        5 Pablo Vicente, 24yrs, 12-0 (10), 122lbs
        6 Damian Rodriguez, 26yrs, 11-0 (6), 154lbs
        7 William Scull, 25yrs, 8-0 (3), 168lbs
        8 Luis Garcia, 30yrs, 15-0 (12), 200lbs
        9 Nelson Machado, 21yrs, 12-0 (8), 126lbs
        10 Jorge De Jesus Romero, 24yrs, 9-0 (7), 118lbs

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          I’ve always wanted to see Robeisy Ramirez go pro. He’s 24 years old, fights aggressively, and is already a two time Olympic gold medalist.
          We need to start a gofundme to go kidnap him & bring him to the US to fight or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Top Ten Cubans Under 30yrs Old, Still on the Come up, According to BoxRec

1 Leduan Barthelemy, 28yrs, 13-0-1 (7), 126lbs
            2 Hairon Socarras, 25yrs, 17-0-3 (11), 122lbs
            3 Daniel Matellon, 30yrs, 7-0-2 (4), 108lbs
            4 Leosdan Nunez, 23yrs, 7-0 (4), 118lbs
            5 Pablo Vicente, 24yrs, 12-0 (10), 122lbs
            6 Damian Rodriguez, 26yrs, 11-0 (6), 154lbs
            7 William Scull, 25yrs, 8-0 (3), 168lbs
            8 Luis Garcia, 30yrs, 15-0 (12), 200lbs
            9 Nelson Machado, 21yrs, 12-0 (8), 126lbs
            10 Jorge De Jesus Romero, 24yrs, 9-0 (7), 118lbs
            Thanks for the research. I don’t know most of these guys, much less seen them fight. Leduan is Rances’s younger brother; and a watered-down version of big bro, if you ask me. I had some hopes for Socarras early, but I don’t think he’s going anywhere. I’ve heard good things about Machado, but I haven’t seen him in action.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              We need to start a gofundme to go kidnap him & bring him to the US to fight or something.
              Haha

Comment

if theres one thing ive learnt when following boxing is that if you bet against the cuban in a big fight youll make some money. they cant do it when it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Show View Post
                  if theres one thing ive learnt when following boxing is that if you bet against the cuban in a big fight youll make some money. they cant do it when it matters.
                  Sadly (for me, at least), this has been true in the modern era. But like anything else, it won’t last. A hero will rise...

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    Sadly (for me, at least), this has been true in the modern era. But like anything else, it won’t last. A hero will rise...
                    yeah, no offence intended to you man, they just havent performed in recent years

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Show View Post
                      yeah, no offence intended to you man, they just havent performed in recent years
                      Thanks. None taken. The truth is self-evident.

Comment

Working...
                      X