• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Sonny Liston video

https://youtu.be/WIxox24A4Vo

would you like to fight him again? oh no

Comment

A destroyer, and I've always gravitated a lot more towards that type. Sure, there have been exceptions like Ali, Leonard, Mayweather among my favorites but much more often that not, I'll watch a guy looking to crack skulls with head shots and disembowel with body shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        A destroyer, and I've always gravitated a lot more towards that type. Sure, there have been exceptions like Ali, Leonard, Mayweather among my favorites but much more often that not, I'll watch a guy looking to crack skulls with head shots and disembowel with body shots.
        I to appreciate all types of fighters. But raw power? There is something primal about it that just draws you in.

Comment

Embedding for those wanting to see this terrific footage from the OP here on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            I to appreciate all types of fighters. But raw power? There is something primal about it that just draws you in.
            F*** yeah Chipper, as Jim Norton would say. It's embedded in the DNA, that reptilian part of the brain. It also seems a lot closer to why any combat sport was invented in the first place. To see someone get knocked out and then, in later years, get choked out or possibly see a joint bent or twisted.

Even MMA guys by the 2000s finally realized boxing can be used significantly in the cage. A good amount of them even started working with boxing trainers to improve their striking and throw straighter, more precise punches and use the footwork involved to avoid sweeps, leg kicks and takedowns. Some even worked with Freddie Roach because guys now realize there's a reason why boxing has survived all these years, because it's a pretty damn good fighting style. Guy like Buentello and Liddell learned to use wrestling defensively with great sprawls in their prime years, so they can just box opponents in the cage. They were like "Oh no, stand up and try not to get punched to hard in the face" usually followed by BAM, a hard shot that gets them a stoppage win. They learned what we already knew. You can't discount boxing and the desire by fans to want to see someone's face get smashed in.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
              Embedding for those wanting to see this terrific footage from the OP here on the forum.

Thanks for embedding. After all these years I'm still computer illiterate.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Thanks for embedding. After all these years I'm still computer illiterate.
                Me too. Youtube has made it simpler though. If you click on where it says share, then just click on embed then copy and then paste after you right click on a blank area in your post.

Comment

Sonny Liston vs. Iron Mike or Frazier was perfect fireworks brawl.

Comment

Sonny Liston... The very essence of duality.
                    Cold hearted thug on the street one minute, but responded in spades to the kindnest of guardian angels. Listened to the Catholic Priest that gave him a chance, always always always kind to children in a meaningful way and not just for the camera... Had a woman that loved him dearly, and a face for the ages...a very expressive face, something that real sociopaths seldom have actually. Sony knew real pathos and on many levels was a sensative human being, when he was not out busting heads at least.

One of our greatest fighters. Had the raw athletascism, dedication to the craft, and natural gifts all in one package. Sony had heart and felt betrayed.

To me in many ways Sonny Liston was the perfect heavyweight: he had the right size, such that even men that have more muscle today would not be a problem...he had the endurance and skill...But he also had what Ali had, and what George had and many great fighters had, and some didn't... Liston had a big ole chip on his shoulder, an anger, a fire inside that would not be quenched. The perfect size, the perfect firepit where the blacksmith worked from inside the shell of a man and honed two anvils, a scowl, and the perfect carriage to carry them... We miss you Sonny!

Comment

Working...
                    X