Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Claressa Shields bring back female boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Claressa Shields bring back female boxing?

Say she was built up in similar fashion to JCC Jr. She on the other hand has an Olympic background.

If I were her promoter I'd try to get her in on as many cards as possible with a rising and more known fighter...similar to the GGG/Chocalotito relationship...

I'd want to take the Lomachenko approach and potentially match her up with a champion in her first or second fight. We know she's elite having won 2 back to back Olympic golds.

Bring back?, female boxing has never been big, it wasn't big when Ali was active, when Holly was active, when Rijker was active, when Wolfe was active and right now is big even when arguably the best female fighter of all time is active.
    Claressa is awesome, has tons of talent and skill and has a great story, but like all the great female boxers, she is one in a million, there isn't enough talent to make female boxing attractive and competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by i got the keys View Post
      Say she was built up in similar fashion to JCC Jr. She on the other hand has an Olympic background.

If I were her promoter I'd try to get her in on as many cards as possible with a rising and more known fighter...similar to the GGG/Chocalotito relationship...

I'd want to take the Lomachenko approach and potentially match her up with a champion in her first or second fight. We know she's elite having won 2 back to back Olympic golds.
      To bring back boxing, especially women's boxing, some things need to be obvious; the women needs to be able to fight, being easy on the eyes can't hurt any, and you've got to have a base to build from.

Where do you go with Claressa Shields?

Best case scenario, she signs with Haymon, and Haymon ends up taking shows to Detroit/Detroit area that Shields can be on TV for (with bigger shows elsewhere giving Shields the chance to maybe be a swing bout for air)

Comment

Female Boxing is never going to be big, sadly.

Women are better suited for MMA, they make better grapplers for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post

Women are better suited for MMA, they make better grapplers for some reason.
          Because they use their skill on the ground, in sparring a lot of women get intimidated by the strength of the men.

Comment

I don't see how. Womens boxing lacks depth. Shields fought at 165 as an amateur so the assumption would be she'd fight at 160 or 168 as a pro. There are 43 women in the MW & SMW divisions total listed on boxrec. No one will or should give a f#ck about Shields being the champion of 43 chicks.

Hope I'm wrong as a fellow Michigan native I root for all Michigan boxers & it'd be amazing if someone from Michigan could boost up the female game like Ali or Martin did in the past, but I just don't see it happening here unless some interesting opposition pops up to make fights that people could find themselves caring about.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
              Tend to agree. The biggest problem for all female sports I think is probably that they all feel like 2nd place, a AAA league game or D league caliber event to their male sport counterpart. Who wants to watch the 2nd best? Not many people. And hell woman don't even support womans sports all that much. Whats that say?

Comment

I hope she succeeds. She is very talented.

Comment

WTF is "Claressa"
                  It should be Clarisa.

Comment

We should worry about male boxing being "back" first lol. Honestly she should try ufc. She'd obv be able to beat the Fuk out of any chick. Would just have to work on the rest of her mma skills

If she wants money that is. Look at holly

Comment

Working...
                    X