Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Roy Jones Jr the greatest P4P fighter of all time better than sugar ray leonard ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
    Charles at 168-175? Maybe. Robinson at 160? Nope.

Both were greater than he was, but that's due to their accomplishments. Head-to-head I don't see either beating him at his peak.
    Originally posted by mr.thraz View Post
    no, i can't.
    Fair enough.

I have no idea how you guys draw such a conclusion given that Roy never fought anyone of their caliber. It's like saying that Edwin Valero knocks out anyone in history based on him knocking out everyone he faced.

Comment

ROY JONES is THE GREATEST P4p FIGHTER OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!! end of discussion!

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyh1015 View Post
        ROY JONES is THE GREATEST P4p FIGHTER OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!! end of discussion!
        Okey dokey. Close the thread mods.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          Fair enough.

I have no idea how you guys draw such a conclusion given that Roy never fought anyone of their caliber. It's like saying that Edwin Valero knocks out anyone in history based on him knocking out everyone he faced.
          ...or you claiming Ricardo Lopez is one of the best fighters and punchers ever despite a list of opponents you only know of because he fought them (with the exception of Rosendo Alvarez). At least Roy beat guys most fans knew....

Comment

...or you claiming Ricardo Lopez is one of the best fighters and punchers ever despite a list of opponents you only know of because he fought them (with the exception of Rosendo Alvarez). At least Roy beat guys most fans knew....
            That's because most fans are too closed-minded to watch and enjoy sub-Flyweight boxing.

Comment

That's because most fans are too closed-minded to watch and enjoy sub-Flyweight boxing.
              ....and just where were you watching these sub-flyweights in the 90s? You weren't, unless Lopez was fighting them. None of those guys were featured on any American network unless they were fighting Lopez. YouTube didn't exist. Perhaps you knew of them because you had Ring/KO Magazine and saw them ranked.....but i highly doubt you had the ability to see them much in action.

I watched every bit of boxing that was available, especially when I was younger. I certainly didn't avoid watching Lopez's foes in action before they fought him....and that's because I did not own a television that miraculously got Asian or South American channels, nor did I have the means to fly around the world checking them out.

Comment

....and just where were you watching these sub-flyweights in the 90s? You weren't, unless Lopez was fighting them. None of those guys were featured on any American network unless they were fighting Lopez. YouTube didn't exist. Perhaps you knew of them because you had Ring/KO Magazine and saw them ranked.....but i highly doubt you had the ability to see them much in action.

I watched every bit of boxing that was available, especially when I was younger. I certainly didn't avoid watching Lopez's foes in action before they fought him....and that's because I did not own a television that miraculously got Asian or South American channels, nor did I have the means to fly around the world checking them out.
                The magic of eBay. You can find just about any fight, no matter how obscure. No, I haven't seen hundreds of strawweight fights live or televised, but I've seen them none the less.

You've commented on Joe Louis here on boxingscene, have you not? Did you watch him live or on live TV?

Duran's lightweight career was scarcely televised here in the U.S. Same goes for hundreds of fighters.

Comment

The magic of eBay. You can find just about any fight, no matter how obscure. No, I haven't seen hundreds of strawweight fights live or televised, but I've seen them none the less.

You've commented on Joe Louis here on boxingscene, have you not? Did you watch him live or on live TV?

Duran's lightweight career was scarcely televised here in the U.S. Same goes for hundreds of fighters.
                  You have gone on YouTube and watched Ala Villamor or Rocky Lin fights? If not, you are exepcting me to believe youspent money to buy them on ebay?

Joe Louis' fights have been avalable on tape since the 70's/80's, chief. As for Duran, a good number of his lightweight fights were on American television and his foes were far more well known and easier to find than any Lopez foe.

Admit it, you loved the way Lopez fought and how flawless/dominant he looked......but, you run into a problem when trying to place him historically. You have strict criteria for greatness that includes quality of opposition/resume. You use that criteria against fighters you don't like or think were overrated. Now you're fudging a bit when it comes to Lopez.

I loved Lopez and think he's one of those guys you show a young fighter films of.....but, much like Orlando Canizales I am baffled as to where he should be placed historically because his opposition is hard to gauge.
                  Last edited by jabsRstiff; 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

You can't envision a Robinson beating him? Or a Charles?
                    Charles yes, Robinson no. Not at 160. Robinson was at his best at 147, and Jones was a big dude. Back in Robinson's day, he wouldn't have even been making 160. He would have started out at 175.

Comment

Originally posted by 110110110 View Post
                      If Roys wassnet soo focued on putting on a show, he would be miles ahead of every other boxer that ever lived.

In some ways his natural talent and extreme fysic got in way of his development as a fighter, and in the end it became his downfall
                      Whaaaat?

Do you mean the roided physic?

Comment

Working...
                      X