No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kenny Bayless: "It was a call that I just missed"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Kenny Bayless: "It was a call that I just missed"

Calling the action inside of the ring, well-respected referee Kenny Bayless can see where the fans are coming from with their lack of appeal but says that slow nights are just part of the sport.

"They're all pretty much the same in terms of excitement," Bayless said of 2011's biggest event thus far. "When you got fans from both sides there, nothing beats its. As officials we have to keep our focus and do our job. A lot of people wanted a little more out of the fight but I thought the fight had a little mixture of everything in it. You gotta be willing to take the good with the bad."

The fight's excitement was at its peak in the third round when Pacquiao clipped Mosley with a right-left combination on the inside that planted Shane on his rear. Looking dazed after hitting the matt, Bayless had instant concern as to how severe Mosley's condition was.

"It's as if anybody would have gotten knocked down," Bayless continued. "I've got the same, normal protocol as far as making sure that Manny is in the neutral corner and then proceed with the neutral count and at the same time watch Shane very closely and watch how well he took the punch and how well he can recover from the punch. Now I'm in a situation where I have to decided if he was able to continue or not. He was shook from the punch but he was able to gather himself and continue with the fight."

Bayless is regarded as one of the game's best third men but he will be the first to admit when a mistake comes from his end. In the tenth round Bayless ruled that Pacquiao had suffered a knockdown after taking a right body shot from Mosley and gave the General Santos City fighter a standing eight count.

Upon further review, Bayless concedes that the knockdown wasn't legit and offered no excuses from his end.

"I thought that it was a punch at the time. Because I just happened to be on the back side of Shane. We work all the time to be in position but with the movement of the fighters we sometimes get out of position. From my viewpoint it was a punch and I was just like anyone else until I saw the instant replay. From what I could see it was more of a push. That's one I just got to take on the chin because it was a call that I just missed," Bayless modestly stated.

Bayless noted that he will be in Primm, Nevada this coming Friday for the Golden Boy Promotions show and expects the boxing action in Nevada to pick back up towards the end of summer.

Last edited by KING MEAT; 05-08-2011, 11:36 PM.

It happens. No big deal, as long as it didn't cost him the fight and as long as he acknowledged his mistake, then its all good.

Comment

He already apologized to Freddie after the fight for that bad call. Kenny makes mistakes, he's still one of the best refs (and my favorite) out there.

I'm sure the judges didn't see it as a knockdown as well. Manny had a perfect 120 from one of the scorecards.

Comment

Originally posted by Deedubbzz07 View Post
        It happens. No big deal, as long as it didn't cost him the fight and as long as he acknowledged his mistake, then its all good.
        Our Lakers

Comment

Bayless is a good ref one of the best I think, no big deal, it didn't really affect the outcome of the fight anyway.

Comment

I bet you, Bob Arum might not want him to refereeing any other future Pacquiao's bouts because of that. I can't stand how sensitive Arum can be at time.

Comment

ive never seen buboy so fired up and manny was angry as fuuck that he had shane running. never seen anyone so scared of pac.

Comment

Regardless he's still one of the best ref now. He was just probably falling asleep because the fight was fcking boring.

Comment

Originally posted by dj MEAT® View Post
                  ive never seen buboy so fired up and manny was angry as fuuck that he had shane running. never seen anyone so scared of pac.
                  You caught Buboy yelling at Bayless at the end of round 10? Freddie gave him a gesture as well.

Comment

who cares tho. If Kenny didn't make that bad call, then Pac wouldn't have stepped up his game, period. So I'm glad Kenny made that mistake. He's still the best ref.

Comment

Working...
                    X