No announcement yet.

Weak Era of Boxing....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler.UK View Post
    No hype to the sport, no longevity to the sport.
    You don't think these talented fighters will be earning the same kind of cash that Floyd and co were earning do you?
    Talent is great to have in the sport but meaningless If hardly anyone cares about it, being able to sell and hype is even more so important, I'll take a bunch of guys who have losses on their records who know how to hype up the sport over a bunch of guys who look to avoid all the big fights that there are to be made because those guys with the losses are willing to fight whoever and that's what fans want to see.
    I wouldn't stress so much. The market will sort itself out. The really ambitious fighters who really want the $, legacy and fame will emerge and take the top fights, and work towards becoming stars. It bothers me when I see fighters that should be emerging taking their sweet time but its their career. Eventually the ones that want it will grab it. Sports, like power, abhors a vacuum. No sport stays starless for very long.

Comment

Originally posted by Abstraction View Post
      Mayweather and Pacquiao nuthuggers ruined boxing.

Mayweather made $Millions$ fighting once/twice a year. Even then there were questionable demands in weight, testing etc. Which i won't go into.

My point is - Boxing fans don't care about the best match ups. So long as another man [Mayweather] wins and makes money, his fans are satisfied.

I do not understand the logic. They rather he fought Maidana a second time, instead of Khan (A Fast boxer who would offer something different).

Same goes for the likes of GGG and even Cotto fans of yesteryear etc.

No Mayweather fan was calling for a Maidana rematch. We told everyone it would be easy, but it was demanded by a vocal majority. Lol @ facing Khan back then, as if he wasn't regarded as a cherrypick. He only became an "option" once posters like you ran out of boogiemen,

Comment

the weakest, it's no coincidence that a 50 year old b-hop is still at worst the #3 lhw

Comment

Look at this p4p lists ffs

Oscar De La Hoya
          Roy Jones Jr.
          Evander Holyfield
          Felix Trinidad
          Mark Johnson
          Shane Mosley
          Ricardo Lopez
          Floyd Mayweather Jr.
          Naseem Hamed
          Johnny Tapia

Roy Jones Jr.
          Floyd Mayweather Jr.
          Felix Trinidad
          Oscar De La Hoya
          Shane Mosley
          Mark Johnson
          Ricardo Lopez
          Erik Morales
          Bernard Hopkins
          Stevie Johnston

In 2016 we can barely compile a competent top 5....

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
            Look at this p4p lists ffs

Oscar De La Hoya
            Roy Jones Jr.
            Evander Holyfield
            Felix Trinidad
            Mark Johnson
            Shane Mosley
            Ricardo Lopez
            Floyd Mayweather Jr.
            Naseem Hamed
            Johnny Tapia

Roy Jones Jr.
            Floyd Mayweather Jr.
            Felix Trinidad
            Oscar De La Hoya
            Shane Mosley
            Mark Johnson
            Ricardo Lopez
            Erik Morales
            Bernard Hopkins
            Stevie Johnston

In 2016 we can barely compile a competent top 5....
            You have the benefit of hindsight knowing how their careers turned out. Shane Mosley's resume at that stage was similar to GGGs. Mayweather hadn't even beaten Corrales yet.

Comment

We just entered one. Due to the retirement of one of the biggest attractions the sport has ever had, yes. The sport of boxing is now left with a ****phobic Pacquiao attracting more negative attention to the sport with his mouth than with his lies. That and a whole bunch politics that make it hard to match good fights. Adding insult to injury is the exagerated usage of catchweights being used by A sided fighters to have an unfair advantage

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                are we in one?

Our two young Latino stars don't have the skill to win in dominant fashion.
                Not a weak era, just a new era. The idea is the more you delay fights, the more money you make from it.

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
                  I think we're in a transition lull. Next set of stars has to step up and get sorted out. Will it be WW's like Brook, Spence, and Thurman? Or LHW's? We'll just have to wait and see.

Most encouraging development in boxing is the resurgence of activity, and excitement, and intrigue of the sport's moneymaker, HW. Not only the guys we all know, but there is lots of exciting talent most people have never heard of like Izu Ugonoh, Jarrell Miller, Andy Ruiz Jr, Oscar Rivas, lots of Euro prospects. Of course not all will pan out, but if HW starts to catch fire, it will do wonders for the sport.
                  What this guy said.

Nice post.

Comment

Boxing will be just fine. Lots of fights today! Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                      are we in one?

Our two young Latino stars don't have the skill to win in dominant fashion.
                      I would agree 100%. The example you provided is very apt, because we have a whole host of young fighters (under 30) who are beating good opposition but not exactly dominating them. Top fighters from previous eras would dominate numerous opponents at the world level, e.g. Oscar, Pacquiao, Tito etc.

I feel a lot of this comes down to younger fighters having poor stamina. I'm not sure why but guys like Canelo, Groves, DeGale and many more, don't seem to be able to stretch their quality across 12 rounds of boxing. Shouldn't stamina improve with improved sports facilities and science?

I think the closest we have to a great fighter right now is Bradley (obviously not counting Pacman and Wladimir). Khan may reach that status with his next fight and guys like Fury, Garcia, Canelo, Frampton et al may also have a say but they are still in the process of building their resumes.

Then there's Kovalev, GGG and Ward. The former two especially have physically dominated opponents and a couple of those opponents may be regarded as world class. All we need for them is to repeat this on a regular basis.
                      Last edited by soul_survivor; 03-26-2016, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X