Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Rank not promoting Pac-Bradley III as his last fight; smart move or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it makes a big difference. Floyd-Berto would've done similar numbers even if Floyd hadn't announced it as his final fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
      One would assume Bob promoting this as Pac's last fight would be a good selling point. A few hundred thousand extra PPVs buys at the very least. Some people might not be tempted to buy this fight again, but upon hearing it's the last time they'll ever see Pac live on PPV, they'd be more inclined to do so.

To me it's pretty clear that it is his last fight. Pacquiao said it himself, and says he has no regrets. He's bold in his choice and isn't looking back. He's not even considering pursuing the Mayweather fight again, it wouldn't happen anyway.

Bob Arum on the other hand, believe Pac will continue fighting, probably way past his prime. He looks at Pacquiao and sees dollar signs, not a real person. What do you think?
      Unless I'm mistaken, didn't Bob Arum get fronted the money to provide Venetian Macau 5 Pacquiao fights, or something in that vain? Knowing the way Arum seems to do business, I have no doubt that he likely had other similar Pacquiao deals with other parties.

The moment that Arum tells everyone that Pacquiao is officially done, Venetian Macau and other parties who fronted Arum money are going to want to be reimbursed the money for whatever Pacquiao fights not delivered.

If you leave it in the lurch, no one can chase you down for money owed, especially before Arum has been able to establish a new cash cow to cover the owed money.

Comment

The guy is 50 years old worth half a billion dollars. You don't get motivated to get punched in the head for another 150 mil (I say 150 mil because less people will purchase the PPV). That's pocket change.
        Pretty sure 150 isn't pocket change compared to 500.
        If Floyd ever wants to invest in something big, or buy himself another twenty jets, he'd come back.

If Thurman magically unifies, Floyd could come back, 12-0 his overrated ass, and pocket another easy 100+.

Comment

Didn't help Mayweather.

Comment

One would assume Bob promoting this as Pac's last fight would be a good selling point. A few hundred thousand extra PPVs buys at the very least. Some people might not be tempted to buy this fight again, but upon hearing it's the last time they'll ever see Pac live on PPV, they'd be more inclined to do so.

To me it's pretty clear that it is his last fight. Pacquiao said it himself, and says he has no regrets. He's bold in his choice and isn't looking back. He's not even considering pursuing the Mayweather fight again, it wouldn't happen anyway.

Bob Arum on the other hand, believe Pac will continue fighting, probably way past his prime. He looks at Pacquiao and sees dollar signs, not a real person. What do you think?
            I am not sure but I think the fight might sell a bit better if everyone was sure it was his last fight. I think it is his last fight. Pacquiao said he is getting much pressure from all his family to retire. Pacquiao has never said he was retiring and then changed his mind. I think it is Pacquiao's last fight and he will give Bradley a beating as a going away present.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              Didn't help Mayweather.
              Do we know that for sure?

I think a Berto fight with Floyd would do around 400k prior to the Pac fight.

But what did it really do. Wasn't it reported to be around 600k or so?

Comment

Almost every boxer comes back after he says he's retired. So it's hard not to be cynical when a boxer says he's retiring.

I am sure a lot of these guys mean it when they say they're going to retire, but then start to miss it after a year or 2 away.

So no, I don't think it matters one way or another. It's like a rock band doing it's final tour. Sure, it could be the last time, but don't bet on it.

Comment

He's not going to have a significant bout because this is literally his last fight though....

Its only his last fight if he wins the election.

That's not a guarantee, so don't be suprise to see him fight again

Comment

Working...
                  X