Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather right now is a bigger draw than Oscar ever was.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1 on 1 View Post
    Yeah, just like when The Jersey Shore's tv ratings came out. Just prior to the Jersey Shore premier, and having seen the trailers for it, I was thinkin , this f**kin' show is gonna flop, lo and behold.

We already know that controversy sells, but Phony Boy, is just that, Phony. It's just bad acting all the way through and people are hoppin' on it. It's a weird phenomenon.
    lol thats true... I was like got dayum i can't believe how big this show blew up

Comment

If Tito-Oscar had a 24/7, the #s would've been the same. Tito's non-english speaking, workman-like personality wouldn't have made any difference. People keep mentioning 24/7 as some catalyst for Floyd but that show began with him. 24/7 owes its success to him as he does the show. There have been other fighters featured on 24/7 and none have come close to the PPV #s Oscar did with...Floyd.

I don't know if Floyd is bigger per se. Maybe just going by the numbers, he might be. But De La Hoya is more than just a superstar, he's a brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottoman View Post
        There is no doubt Floyd is the better fighter, but Oscar's image was beyond boxing and that's why he holds the record for the most PPV sales. Oscar is more of a household name than Floyd, so I think Oscar is the bigger draw.
        I think that the peak Oscar would have beaten the peak Mayweather. Oscar had one of the most durable chins in the business, and was a KO puncher, as well as being VERY well technically adjusted, with lots of heart.

His only real weakness then was a tendency to fade at the end of a fight, but with better training this could have been eliminated.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
          I think that the peak Oscar would have beaten the peak Mayweather. Oscar had one of the most durable chins in the business, and was a KO puncher, as well as being VERY well technically adjusted, with lots of heart.

His only real weakness then was a tendency to fade at the end of a fight, but with better training this could have been eliminated.

You can throw in weak right hand. Oscar didn't start using it with any purpose until Mayweather Sr took over as his trainer. And I think you're VERY much exaggerating.

Comment

man shut the **** up. mayweather sold 300k with baldy, and then goes to 2.2 million, it had almost nothing to do with him. Actually, mayweather and pacquiao would still be no names if it was not for oscar.

Comment

I don't think you can really compare PPV sales to back then. Times are just so different. I feel like a lot more people are capable of ordering PPV's now than before.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                Lets be honest here, the guy right now is a bigger draw than Oscar ever was. Oscar had PPV's that drew **** unless they were against the biggest stars. Floyd even against an average opponent right now would do far better than what Oscar would of done. DLH may have the all time sales because his career popularity started far before Floyds due to his Olympic run but right now Floyd's popularity tops any peak that DLH had. Saturdays fight is comparable to Tito/DLH which did 1.4 million and everyone expect Floyd/Shane to go above that.
                Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post
                woulda,coulda, shoulda.....

The ***** mantra.

Comment

Working...
                X