No announcement yet.

Arum: Showtime will leave boxing within the next year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
    He's only saying it because Showtime is a competitor of ESPN's. He would love to see Showtime fold so his platform could help monopolize the sport.
    Thats what I think to. Wishful thinking. But he's still looking stupid saying or in 12mos when they are still showing fights he looks stupid.

Maybe this sh^t is directed at casual fans doe idk. And he's trying to make streaming platforms look more appealing & like the old guard is leaving soon so you need to be jumping on this ESPN+ & DAZN thing.

Comment

I don't know whether Showtime is dropping boxing any time soon but I do know that boxing in the US needs to start having more meaningful fights and more often. Boxing is becoming a more niche sport with each passing year. If it weren't for the Latino population, and most specifically Mexican/Mexican-Americans, boxing numbers would be even more brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
        I for one want showtime to stay, because even as a UK resident, i watch the PBC shows and i enjoy boxing stateside with the large level of network competition you have.

I think showtime, ESPN and ( not that it matters because i have SKY whom they partner ) DAZN are creating a healthy competition and thriving the sport again.

I just dont enjoy people spouting off what that pedophile mr potato-head looking prick Espinoza says as gospel, or in this case directly misquoting something and running with it simply because of PBC,SHOWTIME and Haymon fanboyism when i know if Hearn or Arum said a sample directly translated to a gross as fact, theyd chew them to bits
        Well, for one Hearn/Arum shoot themselves in the foot a lot more than Espinoza as they talk to the media more. Those two are promoters and don't know how to turn it on and off. Espinoza has more of a business approach and doesn't really say anything crazy to the media.

As for the second part of Haymon fanboyism, the opposite applies as well.

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
          so those who bothered to do the survey.. that could be 10% of new subs... that doesnt mean half of all new subs think boxings important, or that 30% of all new subs did it specifically for the sport.

Bothering to make your voice heard also doesnt change numerical fact. You cannot apply a percentage of a percentage, attribute that to the gross and call it a fact.

Thats called fudging the numbers lol.

what if the remaining 90% of the subs didnt do or think at all what espinoza said.. that means its ..drum roll......

absolute rubbish.

That sort of arithmetic and number padding is straight out of Eddie Hearns playbook, but because its showtime and espinoza its acceptable. Jesus christ....
          Simple question since you aren't putting much weight into these surveys. Why do companies spend millions a year on these surveys if they aren't valuable? And why do they make decisions based on these surveys? HBO made the opposite decision based on the responses they got

You lookin kinda simple right now
          Last edited by Motorcity Cobra; 10-16-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            I'me pretty sure CBS has enough loot that they can keep SHO in boxing. The more interesting question is what will ESPN do as cable services keep raising rates as fewer people have cable packages and shift to streaming services.

If bars/restaurants can't get the app, what happens down the line?
            This right here. Bars and restaurants more likely aren't looking to change their model of how they show sports. I dont know of any bar or restaurant that shows any type of boxing via an app. They would have to either replace their tvs with smart tvs or equip any existing tv with a Roku or Firestick. Add to that the subscription fees and internet speed needed to connect all those tvs. DAZN and ESPN+ fights are pretty much losing out on a lot of fans that can't go to a bar to watch fight like they would for a fight shown on Showtime.

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
              This right here. Bars and restaurants more likely aren't looking to change their model of how they show sports. I dont know of any bar or restaurant that shows any type of boxing via an app. They would have to either replace their tvs with smart tvs or equip any existing tv with a Roku or Firestick. Add to that the subscription fees and internet speed needed to connect all those tvs. DAZN and ESPN+ fights are pretty much losing out on a lot of fans that can't go to a bar to watch fight like they would for a fight shown on Showtime.
              I get that boxing wants to attract young fans. The problem is they alienate the old fans that are going to keep their cable systems and the bars/restaurants that have to pay significantly more.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                I get that boxing wants to attract young fans. The problem is they alienate the old fans that are going to keep their cable systems and the bars/restaurants that have to pay significantly more.
                You old bastards can kick rocks!!!!!!

No, but there has to be a happy medium here. No doubt streaming is a big part of the present and will be a bigger part of the future. But that doesn't mean televisions are going to go out of existence. Those that succeed in the long run will apply both.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                  I'm a Showtime subscriber. I didn't receive the survey.
                  Do you get a call for every poll?

Comment

I once got suspended from a job for failing a customer survey even though all my other metrics were good. And the ****ed up part is it was an automated call survey and the dumb bastard was trying to give me all 10's but when he'd hit the "1" it registered as a 1. The call told the customer on a scale of 1-9 with 9 being the highest. But in his mind 10 was the highest because that's usually how it works. So yea, these companies take these survey very serious

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
                      Yea, aint no bar doing all that unless it's for a big show and probably only half of the bars are going to do it, 10% won't care to do it and the other 40% won't know how to do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X