Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are posters so concerned about GGG being HANDED another title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bram View Post
    I agree with that, but isn't the point for GGG to begin to fight the level of guys who don't care about the belt? He's already big enough of a name for that next level of guy to decide to fight him or not to and I don't think getting another belt changes the minds of people like Quillin-Jacobs or Lee-Saunders.
    I disagree. I think another belt makes the Andy Lee's and Daniel Jacobs of the boxing world change their mind about fighting GGG.

Big names opponents like Canelo, Cotto, Mayweather he may never get a chance to fight, but the other top guys, he can.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
      It will be a paper title,he still won't be a draw and he will have no career defining belts on his resume.. What does him getting handed yet another worthless belt prove? He still will not be Lineal champ not Ring champ. Canelo can just sit there and bring fighters up from 154 and make a killing..GGG is going to have to make a crucial decision here because Canelo honestly does not need him at all.
      Who are these fighters he can bring up from 154 and make a killing with? Unless he plans on going on a bum of the month tour, he is surrounded by nothing but tough fights. Lara rematch, Andrade, Jermall Charlo, GGG, Andy Lee, Quillen/Jacobs winner, and Lemieux. He won't be able to hide for long.

Comment

That's fine if GGG gets handed the belt. Canelo can't stay at 155 for the remainder of his career. So he will be stuck between a rock and a hard place after another year, probably less IMO. GGG will just be sitting at 160 waiting out Canelo. As big as his name is, he will get ridiculed if he doesn't man up and fight at 160 in time. He's getting a pass for now, but since he beat Cotto his standing will hold higher scrutiny as he continues to avoid the middleweight division.

Comment

It will be a paper title,he still won't be a draw and he will have no career defining belts on his resume.. What does him getting handed yet another worthless belt prove? He still will not be Lineal champ not Ring champ. Canelo can just sit there and bring fighters up from 154 and make a killing..GGG is going to have to make a crucial decision here because Canelo honestly does not need him at all.
          this generation of fans would rather their favorite fighter be given something instead of earn it

GGG's ppv numbers show you the leverage he brings.....NONE

If you're so bad, agree to a catchweight and kick 'Nelo's azz....at least he wouldn't have to
          make that weight anymore...oops, didn't he say he'd fight Floyd at 154?

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post
            I disagree. I think another belt makes the Andy Lee's and Daniel Jacobs of the boxing world change their mind about fighting GGG.

Big names opponents like Canelo, Cotto, Mayweather he may never get a chance to fight, but the other top guys, he can.
            Really? Everyone runs around talking about this guy like he's an absolute wrecking ball - like he's already an all-time great at the weight and Andy Lee is sitting somewhere thinking no he doesn't want that fight. But then the WBC upgrades Golovkin, so that gets him off the fence? I think that action creates no greater incentive for a future opponent. And I'm just using Lee as an example, I actually think he does want that fight.

Comment

GGG does not gain much by collecting an empty belt. But it will create some avenues for him just be being the guy with so many of them.

Canelo suffers if he gives it up or gets stripped also. Mexican fans and Media, at least many of them, might turn on him if he drops the middleweight title. Pride runs deep in Mexico, and they will correlate it with avoiding an opponent.

Comment

Because GGG fans are like the guys that go and buy the Superbowl winning quarterbacks jersey and wear it in the offseason proclaiming they've been fans their entire life...

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                  Hopefully Canelo won't be a giant pu ssy and actually fights his mandatory so we can avoid this problem. Hopefully boxing fans one day stop supporting the act of ducking. Canelo "doesn't need Golovkin". Is that what boxing has become?
                  I want to second this.

I also want to point out that the more titles GGG holds, the bigger his fame and fan base becomes. This will make it easier for him to get fights with guys like Quillin, Jacobs, Saunders, Lee, etc.

Also, the sooner Golovkin gets all the MW belts, the sooner he will start to look at moving up to challenge some of the SMW champs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bram View Post
                    Really? Everyone runs around talking about this guy like he's an absolute wrecking ball - like he's already an all-time great at the weight and Andy Lee is sitting somewhere thinking no he doesn't want that fight. But then the WBC upgrades Golovkin, so that gets him off the fence? I think that action creates no greater incentive for a future opponent. And I'm just using Lee as an example, I actually think he does want that fight.
                    If the WBC makes him champ as oppose to interim champ he'll hold the WBA, WBC and IBF titles which unless I'm mistaking will make him undisputed. ( don't think you have to hold the wbo)

If this happens he'd be the first Mw to be undisputed since Taylor in 05. It's a heck of an incentive for other fighters to now fights GGg

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post

Money will make them change their mind. Quillin and Jacobs are getting $1.5 mil each to fight each other. Lemieux got paid that to fight on a PPV card. GGG's opponents have been underpaid. I use the Mike Tyson example. No man in boxing was more feared and dangerous than Tyson. But Tyson never had problems getting opponents because they were paid well. K2 has to make the reward worth the risk. Do you think Andy Lee or Saunders will fight GGG for the same or less than they would get to fight Jacobs/Quillin?

Comment

Working...
                      X