Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ken Norton And Others Believe He Defeated Ali Three Times.. Do You?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revelated View Post
    Ali at that time was getting the same complaints certain fighters do today - that judges were giving the popular fighter the benefit of the doubt.

In my eyes Ken Norton won two of the three, with the other being a draw.
    Yea, I see it the same. Kenny had 2 wins, another was easily debatable.
    I always admired him for that, and that's why I've got him in my avi. He was awkward, a real mess to watch, but he was the man who beat The Man.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Yea, I see it the same. Kenny had 2 wins, another was easily debatable.
      I always admired him for that, and that's why I've got him in my avi. He was awkward, a real mess to watch, but he was the man who beat The Man.
      Well technically frazier was the man when norton beat ali.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
        Well technically frazier was the man when norton beat ali.
        That was all well before my time. I only know it through books and videos. Kenny had Ali 's number when he was still a capable fighter. And, he gets very little credit for it today.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          That was all well before my time. I only know it through books and videos. Kenny had Ali 's number when he was still a capable fighter. And, he gets very little credit for it today.
          Any boxing fans i know who were actually following the sport at that time give norton the credit he deserves. My friends dad is always going on about that era of heavies, and whenever it comes up, he always mentions norton getting the better of ali. One of those things that is appreciated more by those who actually saw it when it happened.

Comment

Norton had the style to trouble slick boxers like Ali and larry holmes. I thought Ken won the first, Ali won the second, and either a tie or ken won the third. Even Ali thought he lost the third fight, in his post fight interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGiB9QgY2PQ

at 7:35

Comment

Goes down in the X files, category "one of those things." Ali was a man who was such a great fighter that as good as he was, his prime was sometime between just after the kid who beat Liston up and his time spent in jail. He did get preferential treatment at times after that.

Its worth noting that fighting with a broken jaw in a close one should give him at least one of those...and if memory serves correct by the last one Ali was twilight...But it would be disingenius not to acknowledge Ali got some gifts... Just ask Spinks and Young among others...

Comment

Working...
              X