Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Canelo make the Saunders fight instead of Chavez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
    No money in fighting Saunders
    This. Simply a matter of risk reward and Chavez has a long history of being of being undisciplined. They're figuring he's just showing up for the paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
      No money in BJS ,and who knows if there would be another moment to take on Chavez ,also GGG fight will happen ,so if its for 3 or 4 belts doesnt matter as much as some ppl think.
      Yes, a Saunders fight only make Saunders more money than he deserves.

Comment

No way phuk that belt fans much rather see Chavez canelo. That fight sells much more and makes canelo a boat load of cash. Saunders would of been like the smith fight. Very few American know or have ever seen saunders who fights on the UK. Where as Chavez is know ti everyone and there is really bad blood that has existed for at least half a decade. The difference in money that this fight makes compared to saunders isnot even in the same ballpark. You can always go after a paper belt later.

Comment

but everyone is thinking short term here.
          i'm thinking long term.
          so what? sure, a canelo/saunders fight is not much money compared to a canelo/chavez fight but in the long run, he will have a belt that Golovkin wants badly and Canelo could extort GGG for the rest of his career with that one belt.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyg6 View Post
            but everyone is thinking short term here.
            i'm thinking long term.
            so what? sure, a canelo/saunders fight is not much money compared to a canelo/chavez fight but in the long run, he will have a belt that Golovkin wants badly and Canelo could extort GGG for the rest of his career with that one belt.
            Canelo is going to rape GGG in negotiations regardless if he has saunders belt or not. None of that shyt matters he's a much bigger draw and GGG fight flopped. The fact that canelo/chavez will sell maybe 1m ppvs actually give him more leverage then any belt he could win. A fight with saunders maybe does better then smith but worse then khan. At best 400k ppv buys not even half of the money chavez generates. It's really that simple fans win because nobody knows or cares about saunders. And canelo wins because he makes more money. And it looks like GGG phuked up the Saunders fight in june. So after chavez he can always use the leverage if you don't fight me in Sept I will just give money to saunders to fight me next and grab that belt.

Bottom line he will have leverage over GGG whenever they fight because GGG can't get paid or sell ppvs without him.
            Last edited by bigdunny1; 04-02-2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

this chavez fight only had a small window to happen, chavez jr just came off a W at the lightest weight he has been at in years if this fight was gonna happen it was gonna be now or never.

Comment

I would think it would be obvious. More money in Mexican vs Mexican fights on Mexican holidays. Plus its an easier fight despite all the BJS detractors perhaps trying to suggest otherwise. I also think Oscar feels this can be a huge PPV that'll get Canelo deemed a PPV star that will attract more mainstream attention hence forth.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR MIKEY! View Post
                  this chavez fight only had a small window to happen, chavez jr just came off a W at the lightest weight he has been at in years if this fight was gonna happen it was gonna be now or never.
                  True chavez has been moving north in weight at a rapid rate if you don't fight now the weight divide becomes too large and high risk another bigger fighter knocks chavez into retirement fonfara style. Saunders will always be there and if not who cares. Chavez wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                    Canelo is going to rape GGG in negotiations regardless if he has saunders belt or not. None of that shyt matters he's a much bigger draw and GGG fight flopped. The fact that canelo/chavez will sell maybe 1m ppvs actually give him more leverage then any belt he could win.
                    LOL & yea tend to agree with all of this.

GGG nabbing the BJS belt helps steer Canelo to him in theory cuz you do seem to need "a" belt at least these days, but then again there are all sorts of belts with interim belts, regular belts or I'd imagine the WBC would invent a belt for Canelo to wear (sh^t I think they already did for this fight actually) & to get some of his purse via sanctioning fees for. Its basically a hustle on both ends.

But the overall stance that GGG is gonna get B side status in this fight, if it even happens, is written in stone already. If Tom or GGG are under any real illusion he's getting 50/50 they are f#cking nuts. If Canelo gets KTFO in 1 round to Chavez Jr next month he's the A side still thats how uneven sh^t is between them & GGG isn't getting any younger.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      LOL & yea tend to agree with all of this.

GGG nabbing the BJS belt helps steer Canelo to him in theory cuz you do seem to need "a" belt at least these days, but then again there are all sorts of belts with interim belts, regular belts or I'd imagine the WBC would invent a belt for Canelo to wear (sh^t I think they already did for this fight actually) & to get some of his purse via sanctioning fees for. Its basically a hustle on both ends.

But the overall stance that GGG is gonna get B side status in this fight, if it even happens, is written in stone already. If Tom or GGG are under any real illusion he's getting 50/50 they are f#cking nuts. If Canelo gets KTFO in 1 round to Chavez Jr next month he's the A side still thats how uneven sh^t is between them & GGG isn't getting any younger.
                      my idea is that, yes canelo can leverage ggg with his drawing ppv power BUT what I'm saying is that he can have more of an upperhand on ggg if has that belt, then for sure, ggg has no choice to bow down to canelo's demands. ggg wants that last belt, so by canelo taking it, it ****s up ggg's career goal.

Comment

Working...
                      X