No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins took calculated risks, he is 1 of the most overrated modern ATG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    no, you just underhandedly admitted fans spoke about the fight prior to it happening in the late 2000s and after 2001 win hopkins beat trinidad

thats what I said fool....stop reaching, enjoy your day dude
    Oh, I see. That was the point you were trying to make. I thought the premise was that Hopkins should've fought him earlier and you insinuated that he avoided Calzaghe. Or were those irrelevant to this, your main point?

Comment

• Hopkins is not an ATG in my eyes and a good middleweight no where near great!
      He fought nobodies coming up and thats ok because he did start late but when he stepped up he lost against middleweights. He won a good bout over Glen Johnson but failed against Roy Jones. He had a good win with Echols, Trinidad and Joppy but is Oscar a good win at middleweight?
      He takes on Taylor who was general conses-is best and lost twice!
      The WBC & WBA were the only organizations that meant anything.
      The IBO & WBO were minor organizations with as much appeal as an inter-continental titles. All BS!

He then moved to light heavy (175) he won some he lost some and he fought late in a boxers life so the younger fans accepted him as special.
      Bernard was good but lets not get carried away, look at his record and study his opponents. Their not terrible but what great fights was he in? Was he an action fighter? Did he have a high work rate, punch in combination? Have power in both hands?
      Smart, yes! A better matchmaker and promoter than a fighter, Yes!
      Took his money for the Koval "sparring session" that the fans thought was a real fight? Yes he did! hahahaha.........very shrewd with talent but no ATG!

Ray

Comment

• Hopkins was never truly dominated or looked bad until he fought Kovalev at the age of 49. That, in it of it self, is impressive. If anything, I think Hopkins is underrated.

Underdog when he beat Trinidad, underdog when he beat Tarver, underdog when he beat Pavlik, Calzaghe barely beat him.

He fought top guys even when he was older. He has an impressive resume. Crazy enough to get in the ring with Kovalev, even though he fought to survive, at least he survived. I will say that if Kovalev really pressured in the fight, he probably would've stopped Hopkins, but he choose to fight cautious cuz he knows how crafty Hopkins is.

Comment

• Originally posted by b morph View Post
          Hopkins was never truly dominated or looked bad until he fought Kovalev at the age of 49. That, in it of it self, is impressive. If anything, I think Hopkins is underrated.

Underdog when he beat Trinidad, underdog when he beat Tarver, underdog when he beat Pavlik, Calzaghe barely beat him.

He fought top guys even when he was older. He has an impressive resume. Crazy enough to get in the ring with Kovalev, even though he fought to survive, at least he survived. I will say that if Kovalev really pressured in the fight, he probably would've stopped Hopkins, but he choose to fight cautious cuz he knows how crafty Hopkins is.
          Getting 8-4 or 9-3 by a 24 year old Jones with a broke hand is being dominated

A couple of the rounds he were given were out of sympathy

They do that often in boxing. Give the guy getting clearly beat a close round or two

7-5 is competitive.... 8-4, 9-3 is not

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
            Getting 8-4 or 9-3 by a 24 year old Jones with a broke hand is being dominated

A couple of the rounds he were given were out of sympathy

They do that often in boxing. Give the guy getting clearly beat a close round or two

7-5 is competitive.... 8-4, 9-3 is not
            Forgot about that one. Happened so long ago I nearly forgot about it. Forgot how long of a career Hopkins has had.

Comment

• Really what made him so special was that he was never athletically gifted. He was never super fast or had natural punching power. He excelled in his skill. He had to. He had to have a high ring IQ, otherwise, it just wouldn't work.

Comment

Working...
              X