Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight training for muscle mass - good or bad for boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    Joshua disagrees
    was he really a puncher because of the weights though? he would probably be one of those tall skinny guys with a good shot either way.

Comment

I feel like as a heavyweight it is a different ball game, but the lower weight divisions it can be tough to make weight and not that beneficial. It can maybe increase your brute force but can also interfere with timing, speed, fluidity etc. I've seen alot of guys do lifts like the snatch and deadlifts that work your core strength

Comment

I lift heavy with good form, don't work arms and only 9 sets per body part. I don't overdo it with dead lifts, spotters or anything like that. Use both machines and barbells. Not a lot of dumbbells. I stay strong and not to bulky.

Comment

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Comment

Originally posted by mayweatherspace View Post
            Is training for bodybuilding detrimental for boxing and fighting in general?

So I have watched videos of Jon Jones training (MMA fighter) and he lifted some damn impressive weights. 500lb squats, 500 lb deadlifts, 315 lb bench press for 10 reps etc.

Also, he has a pretty muscular physique (but chicken legs) but a lot of it is probably due to performance enhancing drugs.

My question is, would lifting heavy - mainly powerlifting and some bodybuilding, and gaining muscle be a good way to improve your fighting?

Mike Tyson lifted pretty heavy, and im sure many pro fighters, boxers and MMA lift heavy as a way to improve their punching power.

What do you guys think?

I personally believe in weightlifting in the off season and in camp for pro boxers. I'm a strength coach but i have been a head coach for camps of high a level pro boxer and we hit the weights. Deadlifts, squats, kettlebell work, and a bunch of other stuff. It's just good for athletic performance in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
            X