Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder-Fury: Why PPV Will Always Cost Much More In U.S. Than UK

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oshio View Post
    The lifespan of PPV boxing in the US is short especially with boxing becoming a relegated sport. Fury-Wilder at $75 and anything less than 15,000 buys is a flop!!!
    I'd argue anything less than around 500k in a heavyweight title fight is a flop?

If this fight is a flop old fish eyes will try and dress it us as a success.

Looks like it is going to be worth the American market subscribing to DAZN!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
      I'm calling bull on all those excuses. Sure, some people watch fights in groups, but I rarely see enough people interested in the amount of PPVs these guys put on.
      A lot of people that can't watch it with friend because they're out of town or their friends don't care about boxing aren't gonna want to spend $75 to stay in alone and most people probably wouldn't go to a bar on their own to watch either. I think they're pricing themselves out and it seems very short sighted as the more people watch it, the more people talk about it, them more people buy next time (if it was a good enough event).

Comment

Originally posted by Jax teller View Post
        A lot of people that can't watch it with friend because they're out of town or their friends don't care about boxing aren't gonna want to spend $75 to stay in alone and most people probably wouldn't go to a bar on their own to watch either. I think they're pricing themselves out and it seems very short sighted as the more people watch it, the more people talk about it, them more people buy next time (if it was a good enough event).
        A good alternative is watching at movie theater for $25

Comment

I thought we had it bad in the UK, no way are any of these shows worth all that money. I remember Hearn trying to sell a Kell Brook show for PPV. I drew the line at Haye Harrison on how far i would go as a boxing fan. No way im paying to watch Eubank Jnr fight Degale either.

Comment

I agree, it is completely short sided. Boxing should be working towards building a bigger fan base, which by over pricing every single PPV they're not doing.

Comment

A good alternative is watching at movie theater for $25 (if available)

Comment

"In the United Kingdom, where boxing has become increasingly popular over the past few years, more consumers will purchase Wilder-Fury on pay-per-view than in the United States.

The UK – which includes England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales – consists of about 66 million residents. Roughly 326 million people reside in the United States.

Those aren’t the disproportionate numbers that are most meaningful as it pertains to pay-per-view boxing. No, those would be £19.95 and $74.99.

That first figure, which equates to approximately $25.50, is how much BT Sport Box Office will charge fans in the UK to watch Wilder-Fury at probably sometime between 4:30 and 5:30 a.m. GMT (11:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. EST). At essentially a third of the price, it’s no wonder Wilder-Fury will sell better in the UK than in the U.S., where boxing has been relegated to a niche sport."

That's that bulls**t right there!

Comment

Originally posted by Oluminati View Post
                  A good alternative is watching at movie theater for $25
                  It is for people who live near the movie theaters that actually show the fights. The smaller the town you live in the smaller the chances of you finding a movie theater showing boxing fights, or a pub showing boxing, and probably of finding people interested in splitting a $60+ PPV with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Oluminati View Post
                    A good alternative is watching at movie theater for $25 (if available)
                    Yeah that's better than nothing but I think I'd rather stay in and try and find a free stream which isn't always possible.

It'd be interesting to see what the illegal streaming numbers of fights were if it was possible.

Comment

If either wants a genuine argument for a something close to a 50/50 split against Joshua, then this needs to do at least a million buys between the 2 markets of UK and USA.
                      I hope it does well because neither want to accept a lot less payment than AJ will get, and Hearn will not offer either a favourable split if they do not justify it with their own PPV buys/Gates.

Comment

Working...
                      X