Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keith Thurman vs Errol Spence Jr Breakdown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot depends on how Spence handles Thurman's power. I can imagine Spence boxing early, being careful, but even then Thurman can find openings and is a good counter puncher with speed and power.

After 3 or 4 rounds you would imagine Spence starts to push forward, but again a lot depends on his ability to take Thurman's shots. Spence always leaves openings, but if he can come through Thurman's power, or Thurman can't make a serious dent on him, then I think Spence's consistency of attack should take him home down the stretch, either by decision or late stoppage as Spence also has thudding power.

Its always hard to gauge match ups based off similar opponents, but if you take each guys last few fights. Porter and Garcia have great chins and powers of recovery, they are almost impossible to knock out, Thurman buzzed both but was unable to do much more than that. After these fights I have noticed people dismiss Thurman's power, but what people have to remember is that not everyone at WW has the kind of chin that those guys possess, in fact is rare.

On the flip side - Thurman has shown some vulnerability himself to head and especially body, and Spence is committed to a body attack. Also Spence may not have the zing or speed on his punches that Porter has, or the unpredictability of Garcia's punches, but he has real welterweight heavy handedness. I don't think Thurman has seen that kind of thudding power combined with very sound technique in one package, so both guys bring some things the other guy hasn't seen, which is why its such an interesting fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
      Yeah that has nothing to do with this discussion your going off topic. We are discussing Spence and Thurman.

Spence was hurt the few times Brook landed cleanly but Brook ran out of gas and quit.

Garcia, Collazo and Guerrero are not big punchers and Collazo badly hurt Thurman. Sure it was a body shot but that was one of the few times I saw him take a shot cleanly and he didnt handle it well. Against Garcia I dont remember him taking any real power shots cleanly.

I'm not saying they have weak chins, i'm saying their chins haven't been tested enough yet to judge. Out of the 2 I think Thurman will be able to take shots better.
      Brook didn't run out of gas. He got battered into submission. He also wasn't hurt once that I recall. Did punches register? Yes. This is boxing after all.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
        Brook didn't run out of gas. He got battered into submission. He also wasn't hurt once that I recall. Did punches register? Yes. This is boxing after all.
        ^ Fanboy right here.

Brook was doing well early on in the fight and actually caught Spence with a few shot that visibly hurt him (watch the fight again). He did gas and that was partly due to Spence hitting him with body shots but also because Brook doesnt have the best stamina to begin with. He often takes rounds off.

Anyway i'm not trying to turn this into a Spence vs Brook or Spence bashing post. He was the deserved winner in that fight and up until now has done everything he has needed. My point regarding question marks on his punch durability and chin still stands.

Comment

^ Fanboy right here.

Brook was doing well early on in the fight and actually caught Spence with a few shot that visibly hurt him (watch the fight again). He did gas and that was partly due to Spence hitting him with body shots but also because Brook doesnt have the best stamina to begin with. He often takes rounds off.

Anyway i'm not trying to turn this into a Spence vs Brook or Spence bashing post. He was the deserved winner in that fight and up until now has done everything he has needed. My point regarding question marks on his punch durability and chin still stands.
          Went back and watch fight. I see where you are coming from. Spence, like Crawford, is a great fighter but his fans make him out to be invincible. If he loses, Spence will be seen as one of the most overrated fighters in the sport

Comment

Brook did well against Spence in the beginning because he had the quicker hands but Spences footwork was superior the whole fight. Spence kept marching forward and kept his lead leg outside of Brooks. Again I did notice though was Brook was able to get off first a lot and thats something Thurman does VERY well along with using lateral movement. Stylistically, if Thurman can survive some rough/patchy areas he will win BUT after Collazo had him bending over at the waist, its hard for me to envision him taking an onslaught of punches. Trainers also play a big part in this match and Thurman has the better trainer.

This is a really close fight when dissected non-biasly.

Comment

I think Spence is the superior fighter but clearly Thurman is more accomplished and experienced.

In high level fights I expect the fights to go the distance because of the talent of the combatants. It tells me alot that Spence get a world class fighter like Brook out of there. As Thurman stepped up, he 's no longer knocking cats out. He's not even dropping them.

I also don't like how much ground Keith gives late in fights. I think it will be Thurman early but the tide will turn and then Spence will probably wear him down and then stop him.

Comment

^ Fanboy right here.

What fight were you watching? Did he get caught clean? Yes.

Name a round where he was hurt though.

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
                Went back and watch fight. I see where you are coming from. Spence, like Crawford, is a great fighter but his fans make him out to be invincible. If he loses, Spence will be seen as one of the most overrated fighters in the sport
                Every top fighter is considered "overrated" by a segment of "fans" that don't like said fighter, and as long as they win, that segment grumbles to themselves...it's only when the fighter loses, that you hear the "overrated" chants.

Perhaps that is why many fighters avoid tough fights nowadays for fear of being called "overrated" once they lose. The thing about spence though, it seems he wants the best guys at ww...like him or not, you've got to respect that from fighters that have that mentality in today's boxing world.

Comment

I favor Thurman as his boxing IQ range is wider.

Just look at him break down the nuances in boxing like an experienced trainer.

Spence is a hell of a fighter but he uses his size advantage to impose himself. Put him in there with somebody his own size like Lara or Andrade and see how average they'd make him look.

Comment

everytime i think of spence/brook im filled with extreme happiness...was in cuba with my girl and with mad cervazas (cystal beer yum) watching this at the hotel on showtime ..was sooooooo amped to not miss this fight being in a foreign country

was there for 2 weeks and on the second weekend was pascal/alvarez and stevenson/fonfara...some extreme cancer survivor/war veteran gave us some THC pills so we watched the montreal card also on showtime in cuba frizzled

Comment

^ Fanboy right here.

I agree with you. Brook was landing some good shots on Spence and had the crisper punches until about the 8th round or so. I also think that Brook fought to stationary which was a big mistake, he should have been moving more like he did against Shawn Porter. Thurman will using his feet against Spence and not let him trap him on the ropes.

Comment

Working...
                      X