Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great bare knuckle boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about Kimbo Slice? He was pretty good for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      One of the great bareknuckle fighters of the current era is Charlie Zelenoff.

I think his record is 165-0. One disputed loss to Wilder was removed after petition filed with the WBC.
      hes the guy the Klitskos keep runnin from!

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        How about Kimbo Slice? He was pretty good for a while.
        I always wondered if some of those were works. The minute they threw him in with a real guy, he lost that time in the basement.

Comment

I always wondered if some of those were works. The minute they threw him in with a real guy, he lost that time in the basement.
          Its an interesting situation and not such a simple analysis. What Kimbo was good at was going full bore and never giving his opponent a chance to get into a rhythm. Fighting in a yard with no hand gear is very different, its a distinct set up as compared with fighting in a ring, fighting grapplers, etc.

Kimbo received a lot of BS from the MMA people because of his background, but its really not so easy to make that adjustment. All considered he did not do badly and was looked down upon by people with no reason to do so.

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised. A lot of people thought Ken Shamrock threw his fight against Kimbo, especially since he had him in a rear choke hold. Ken seems too proud to do so, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              We have to take people's word for a lot of the information we get from that time, but there was a fair amount of information shared about some bare knuckle guys.

Daniel Mendoza and Gem Mace were two guys regarded as methodical and interested in defense along with attacking the opponents they fought. Choyinsky was also a technical guy and he was instrumental in working with jack Johnson who was of course an incredible fighter. You had Cribb and Molineaux, two black fighters who were superb... these are a few guys, who distinguished themselves and were described in glowing terms.

Back in those days it was probably more like the MMA, there was grappling, a lot of concern had to be focused on not breaking the hands, especially on the forehead of the man and there were less dominant champions initially... more a test of wills. But the better champions taught...much like martial artists and fencers.
              Well said my friend ....well said...Jhonny says hello

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Wouldn't be surprised. A lot of people thought Ken Shamrock threw his fight against Kimbo, especially since he had him in a rear choke hold. Ken seems too proud to do so, but I wouldn't be surprised.
                Agreed... C

Comment

There are some Great bare-knuckle boxers Name :
                  Jem Belcher
                  Stuart Bennett
                  Isaac Bitton
                  Andy Bowen.
                  Benjamin Brain
                  Bill Brassey
                  Bill Brennan
                  Bob Brettle
                  Barney Aaron