Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mikey Garcia Must Decide on Ivan Baranchyk Fight By March 22

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
    They rank the best fighters currently pursuing their title.
    How do they decide who is "pursuing" their title? Why would they let the WBC or anyone else, have Imam and Ramirez fight in one eliminator and Prograis-Indongo in the other???

Because I would say about 99% of fans agree all four are better than Baranchyk.

You can say the WBC doesn't take bribes, and if they don't then they are the worst org. The rules aren't the same for everyone. i.g. Ortiz tests positive and the fight is called off while they investigate. Canelo fails a test, and the fight is not only not called off, but the pres of the WBC comes out and insists Canelo is NOT a cheater before there is any investigation.

Two different fighters, same action (failed ped test), and totally opposite reactions. If that isn't because of a bribe, than it is playing favorites. Which would mean all their rankings are based on personal favorites and not who has earned or deserves rankings. I think taking bribes is better than just doing whatever you want, with no rules, with no two fighters having to follow the exact same rules.

Comment

I'll take a "bad" mandatory any day over a belt being held hostage!!

Lots of unknown fighters toil and struggle for years for just that chance.
      In the absence of a promoter with deep pockets and influence their only chance at a shot is via the mandatory route.

Whether you and I think the mandatory challenger has a shot is irrelevant. If they have earned it, then give them the CHANCE.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Mikey vs Baranchyk?!?!?

These IBF mfers gots the worst f#cking rankings AND they enforce their bs aggressively which makes it the worst 1 2 punch at the abc group level of the game.
        This fight would be a banger. Mikey would prob box Ivan but ivan can BAAANG

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Cool View Post
          How do they decide who is "pursuing" their title?
          Promoters and managers contact the organizations and lobby to be ranked, request to fight for regional titles, etc.

You can say the WBC doesn't take bribes, and if they don't then they are the worst org. The rules aren't the same for everyone.
          The WBC has historically always been the organization most likely to cater to the biggest stars. It all goes back to Jose Sulaiman. Who like most human beings, was neither all good or all bad, but shades of grey. Jose was independently wealthy and as a personal point of pride, refused to accept bribes. He truly thought of himself as the guardian of boxing and more so than any other organization, gave careful consideration to what was best for the future of the sport and the fighters.

And so, just like the NBA or NFL bends the rules for their stars, because stars are what keep you in business, the WBC has always been the organization most concerned with trying to facilitate big fights, trying to facilitate the creation of new megastars, etc. Maybe it was easier for Jose to scoff at bribes when the biggest fights were usually for the WBC title and therefore, the WBC was collecting the biggest sanctioning fees.

i.g. Ortiz tests positive and the fight is called off while they investigate. Canelo fails a test, and the fight is not only not called off, but the pres of the WBC comes out and insists Canelo is NOT a cheater before there is any investigation.
          While the WBC certainly plays favorites, and I personally find their aggressive defense of Canelo to be extremely suspicious, the situation with Ortiz was very different.

Even if you believe Ortiz's alibi, which the WBC did, it still meant that Ortiz had a serious health condition that was being concealed. So understandably, the WBC wanted to investigate to determine if it was safe for Ortiz to fight, assuming he was telling the truth and was being treated for high blood pressure.

The WBC had no choice but to cancel that fight because on such short notice, Ortiz's own alibi meant that an investigation, medical testing, etc would need to be conducted.

Comment

Mikey vs Baranchyk?!?!?

These IBF mfers gots the worst f#cking rankings AND they enforce their bs aggressively which makes it the worst 1 2 punch at the abc group level of the game.
            I've been saying that since Golovkin caught **** for havig mandatories forced on him. Now he is a 'star' and they make more money per fight they are not so aggressive.

Comment

Mikey will fight the easiest champion available to fight next, ie most likely Robert Easter. He will do interviews saying he wants to fight Linares, loma, maybe even prograis but ultimately will take the easiest route available, biggest fraud in boxing

Comment

Mikey vs Baranchyk?!?!?

Well, Mikey should talk to Linares and see what's good! If he intends to negotiate a fight with the Linares vs. Lomachenko winner, he needs to have that WBC title @ 135! I assume, if Linares fights Loma, Mikey can fight "The Beast" @ 140, and maintain possession of the WBC title @ 135? Easter Jr. is azz out, and he deserves it after that weak performance vs. Fortuna!

Comment

He can't hang with Mikey...Mikey takes this easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Afi23 View Post
                    Indeed, can't hate on that one.

I feel like Mikey's plan was to snatch 2 belts at 135 and let Linares or Loma snatch the other 2 belts and than fight to become undisputed at 135lbs while trying to do the same at 140lbs. With a little luck and cooperation from the sanctioning bodies, he could attempt to become undisputed at 135lbs and 140lbs.
                    IF that truly is his plan, then he'd get all the props. I doubt that's what he's up to though.

Originally posted by jjsmyth87 View Post
                    Mikey will fight the easiest champion available to fight next, ie most likely Robert Easter. He will do interviews saying he wants to fight Linares, loma, maybe even prograis but ultimately will take the easiest route available, biggest fraud in boxing
                    Though I disagree that he's the "biggest fraud in boxing", there definitely is a tendency to overlook the fact that he never seems to fight to unify in his weight classes and just jumps around chasing belts.

I think its because he seems like such a good dude, but you'd better believe that if like somebody else did it, there'd be more criticism.

Comment

Working...
                    X