Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trainers with different teaching styles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trainers with different teaching styles?

Thought I would finally join the forum as I just joined a boxing gym. Anyways I've been on here a bunch before but just read through posts and threads. After months of making excuses and being a little ***** I just decided to go ahead and join a gym. I'm 15 years old and 6'2 155/160lbs.

Anyways, I signed up for this gym and so far went through two 2 hour long classes and actually stayed to do 1v1 pad work after my second lesson. The first class I worked with the oldest and most experienced trainer in the gym and the second class I worked with the owner of the club (also very experienced). However, the 2 trainers have completely different styles. What should I do?

At the level your at the only thing your really going to be doing for awhile, is learning basic footwork and basic punches, and building conditioning, so it shouldn't make to much of a difference.

The best way i usually tell a beginner to judge a gym is by the amateurs in the gym. A good gym, will have good amateurs fighting out of there.

Comment

Listen to both mate.

If they both know what they are doing, they should be teaching you the same basic underlying fundamentals. There may be minor technical differences but the underlying principals will likely be the same.

For example, balance / weight distribution, rotation, generating power from the floor, relaxation, punching through the target, landing with the knuckles, proper wrist alignment, width of stance, angle of the front shoulder etc etc etc.

In time you will find what works for you.

Comment

Alright will do. Yeah I actually chose my gym because of the amateur fighters. The gym I'm currently going has pretty decent records, the guy with the most fights is going 39-9 right now and that's because the gym only opened up a couple of years ago.

Comment

Working...
        X