No announcement yet.

Is it me or.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
    And all these people that you listed were never even close to the most technically proficient at their craft.
    This is a bit of a straw man argument. I never said we were looking for the most technically proficient, what we are are looking for is a high level of technical proficiency, and it is that which I said serves as a necessary platform for quality artistic expression. That is not subjective.

If you can't think of any modern musicians that are close to their levels than you yourself don't know enough about modern music to make any claims.
    What kind of an answer is that?

I already listed several modern artists that easily fit into that. Radiohead, Eminem, Skrillex, Mariah Carey, Jay-Z, Jack White I don't even listen to recent music.
    Mariah Carey came out 22 years ago man, why would you have to go back that far? None of the artists I named on my 70's list originally came out in the 50's. And it's not even like Carey is releasing decent work nowadays.

According to Jay Z's own words he had to dumb down his music to get where he is, so are we talking about his natural talent or the work that made him popular? Anyway fine, we'll accept him. Eminem? O.k. It's interesting though that two of your examples come from a genre (Hip Hop) that consensus has is all but dead. Not much competition. Jay Z struggled for visibility during the prime of Hip Hop in the 90's when Tupac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G were alive, and had the genre not gone completely down hill, his status would in all probability not be as big as it is (although he would be recognized as a talent). The artists I named from the 70's prevailed in an environment of severe artistic competition. Eminem would have probably been successful regardless though, a combination of unique talent and a unique niche.

Skrillex?! So we have a guy who is basically a D.J. on the list?

Look i'll grant you Radio Head, Jack White, Eminem... and fine Jay Z.

I still have almost three times as many artists on the 70's list I provided, and I could name more..
    Last edited by res; 11-23-2012, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
      According to Jay Z's own words he had to dumb down his music to get where he is, so are we talking about his natural talent or the work that made him popular? Anyway fine, we'll accept him. Eminem? O.k. It's interesting though that two of your examples come from a genre (Hip Hop) that consensus has is all but dead. Not much competition. Jay Z struggled for visibility during the prime of Hip Hop in the 90's when Tupac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G were alive, and had the genre not gone completely down hill, his status would in all probability not be as big as it is (although he would be recognized as a talent). The artists I named from the 70's prevailed in an environment of severe artistic competition. Eminem would have probably been successful regardless though, a combination of unique talent and a unique niche.
      I don't see how this has anything to do with our argument

Skrillex?! So we have a guy who is basically a D.J. on the list?
      You're right, if he's not playing a guitar he's not a real musician.

Talking about modern trends with old geezers is fun.

Look i'll grant you Radio Head, Jack White, Eminem... and fine Jay Z.

I still have almost three times as many artists on the 70's list I provided, and I could name more..
      Like I said, I dont know modern music well enough, I do know it's out there. You just haven't spent much time looking.

Comment

Like I said, I dont know modern music well enough, I do know it's out there. You just haven't spent much time looking.
        You "know" it's out there because you have a superstition that you haven't bothered to question or verify; namely, that things never change.

If it was out there, it wouldn't be that hard to find.
        Last edited by res; 11-25-2012, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          Because I'm searching for the Led Zepellin of todays music and I can't find it. Let me know who will stand the test of time then in todays music, I still can't get an answer.

radiohead will be listened to forever.

hail to the thief, ok computer, pablo honey, the bends, and in rainbows are classic albums

they also topped or were very close to topping the album sales in the UK and the states, which are generally where the music world centers itself.

Comment

You "know" it's out there because you have a superstition that you haven't bothered to question or verify; namely, that things never change.

If it was out there, it wouldn't be that hard to find.
            I'm not looking for it.

I've already listed several, my work here is done.

Comment

theres some artist on youtube i doscovered, where theyre not popular mainstream, they got decent views on their videos, some millions but still not popular mainstream. some are pretty good.

like this one 8 millions view

Comment

I'm not looking for it.

I've already listed several, my work here is done.
                You listed four that were valid (Five if I give you Skrillex, God help me) . To prove that all eras are equal you would have to at least approach the amount that I'm able to list from from the 70's.

The very fact that you don't listen to modern music says enough. You are not alone among those your age, believe me.
                Last edited by res; 11-25-2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Mumford and Sons I think is a really good current band.

Feel like kind of a hipster liking them but whatever their **** goes hard in tha mothaph*ckin paint

Comment

Working...
                  X