• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
    Shake first since its liquid and gets digested quickly

You need to eat something withen 20 mins

But you can eat food if its ready right after you work out

This. . . You want to get about 200-500 calories; at least 30 grams of protein (depending on your caloric needs based on weight), 30 grams of carbs, and 10 or so grams of fat within 30 minutes post-workout. The sooner, the better.

It doesn't really matter as long as you get the nutrients and calories up in your body, but the protein shake being in liquid form will digest faster, thereby replenishing your muscles with appropriate nutrients ASAP.

Comment

THere's some great books (and just short articles) on nutrient timing out that explains WHEN (as well as what) you should eat based on the goals you're trying to achieve.

Comment

Everything is really based on what YOU want. I personally will work out an hour and have a shake like everyone has said, 20-30 min after (no more). I use Muscle Milk and it provides

Amount per Serving

Calories 510 Calories from Fat 170
        % Daily Value *
        Total Fat 19.75g 30%
        Saturated Fat 9.25g 46%
        Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
        Cholesterol 27.5mg 9%
        Sodium 365mg 15%
        Potassium 370mg 11%
        Total Carbohydrate 32.5g 11%
        Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
        Sugars 25g
        Protein 47g 94%

I sometimes settle for just the shake if I'm busy that day or wont be have time for an actual meal. What you can do sometimes as well is drink half a shake after your workout and a protein / greens meal (chicken / red meat w/ veggies) but no carbs a couple hrs later. Ill drink the remaining shake as breakfast the next morning (especially if I plan on working out in a couple hrs).

Comment

Originally posted by Cab Driver View Post
          maybe gain a little weight, not too much though.
          If you want to gain weight then yes you can eat big after a workout. Like UglyPug said, some do it before, some do it after but mostly protein is taken to recoup the body after a hard workout.

For me, I need to keep weight down so I tend to eat about 6 times per day, snacks and meals and take a shake right after my workout to recoup my muscles.

I could do it before but I need the energy of a full mean a few hours prior to my working out since I do go hard for about 2 hours straight in the gym.

If you are young and looking to gain weight, you can do it before and then have a nice meal afterwards.

I use Herbal Life and it's great for me. I love the stuff, it's top quality and gives me all the nutrients I need. It is pricey though but if you use it instead of certain meals, it comes out cheaper than buying food for that day.

Comment

protein shakes get digested alot quicker on an empty stomach.

Comment

lol, why would you have a protein shake after food? Makes no sense to me. Let me eat food with protein and calories just to add protein and calories. lol

I drink them after workouts. For recovery.

Never before workouts. I can't ingest liquids other than water before working out. I work out so hard that I will throw that shit up, or i'll feel like throwing up the whole workout.

So, solid foods, wait 30 mins, then workout. After cool down, drink protein shake. Carry on with day.

Comment

I usually have a shake immediately after the workout.

Then have a meal.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                  Everything is really based on what YOU want. I personally will work out an hour and have a shake like everyone has said, 20-30 min after (no more). I use Muscle Milk and it provides

Amount per Serving

Calories 510 Calories from Fat 170
                  % Daily Value *
                  Total Fat 19.75g 30%
                  Saturated Fat 9.25g 46%
                  Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
                  Cholesterol 27.5mg 9%
                  Sodium 365mg 15%
                  Potassium 370mg 11%
                  Total Carbohydrate 32.5g 11%
                  Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
                  Sugars 25g
                  Protein 47g 94%

I sometimes settle for just the shake if I'm busy that day or wont be have time for an actual meal. What you can do sometimes as well is drink half a shake after your workout and a protein / greens meal (chicken / red meat w/ veggies) but no carbs a couple hrs later. Ill drink the remaining shake as breakfast the next morning (especially if I plan on working out in a couple hrs).

Have you ever took into consideration how much of the product is sugar & how cheap sugar/dextrose is? Yet Muscle milk is an absolute ripoff. (Hell the stuff is basically powdered milk)

I also believe Muscle milk uses slower digesting proteins.

I'm not having a go or being arsey, just saying you could save a some good money here.
                  It's the supplement industry, they're full of crap, ''window of opportunity''
                  They will literally tell the public anything to get them to part with their money.

Comment

I have always had a shake as soon as I get home from the gym. 10-15 mins after a workout,

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                      lol, why would you have a protein shake after food? Makes no sense to me. Let me eat food with protein and calories just to add protein and calories. lol

I drink them after workouts. For recovery.

Never before workouts. I can't ingest liquids other than water before working out. I work out so hard that I will throw that shit up, or i'll feel like throwing up the whole workout.

So, solid foods, wait 30 mins, then workout. After cool down, drink protein shake. Carry on with day.
                      That's what I was always taught.

Comment

Working...
                      X