No announcement yet.

How things change......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How things change......

In 1996 a young Oscar De La Hoya beats up and stops Mexican legend JCC sr. on a bad cut. 12 years later, an old Oscar is blitzed and retired after 8 to a prime Manny Pacquiao.

Just kinda weird seeing 2 opposite ends of a fighters career, a young guy beats up a star of the sport and becomes a star himself, then the new star comes along and finishes him off. That's what I love about boxing, if a guy has no place at the top level anymore, we find out in the most definitive way- he gets his ass beat.

Name some other fighters who broke into the really big time by beating an older legend, only to suffer the same fate themselves later on.

Manny was big before Oscar, but since he beat Oscar the mainstream coverage on him has increased substantially.....You could also say he broke into the big time by beating Barrera, on a smaller scale though.

I guess you could say Ali became a star of the sport by sensatonally beating Sonny Liston twice, then at the end of his time Larry Holmes busted him up to signify a true change in eras. Then Holmes was busted up by Tyson....

I think the big difference was that Oscar was absolutely hated after he did what he did and Pac was definately embraced by his own when he beat Oscar. Oscar to this day gets very little love from mexicans for what happened.

Comment

Working...
    X