Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the bigger star: Canelo or Joshua?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fvanesbeck View Post
    Yes, but there's no way Canelo-Khan had anywhere near that amount of viewers worldwide. 10.4 Million viewers in Germany, around 700,000 on both Showtime & HBO, 920,000 in Poland and 1.5 million in the UK.

Also, $70 is £55, and the Joshua-Klitschko ppv was £20 in the UK. Still a significant difference, but not as much as you were suggesting.

And Joshua earned close to £15M($20M) for Saturday - at the very least on a par with what Canelo earned for fighting Khan, probably more.
    Canelo drew 18m viewers in mexico just to see him fight unknow smith but I'm not even talking viewers I'm talking revenue. Khan fight made more money then any joshua fight that's just a fact. And that is not even canelo biggest fight hes been a part of. cotto fight and floyd fight all made more the khan. And his Chavez fight will make more money then all of them except Floyd fight. Canelo is guaranteed to make over 20m more then Joshua just made. Canelo generates more money. Was the highest paid boxer in 2016 and will be the highest paid in 2017. A canelo/ggg fight generates more then any fight Joshua can make.
    Last edited by bigdunny1; 05-04-2017, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Let's settle it this way:

Canelo is the biggest name in boxing at the moment.

Joshua will be the bigger star overall, once Eddie gets him over to the US to do interviews, promotions etc. He'll gain the US fans, he's learning Spanish to appeal to that demographic, they want him to fight all over the world to gain global fame.

Like Eddie said, they're doing a 4 part plan & they've just achieved stage 2, stage 3 & 4 will be building his legacy and fan base globally I'd imagine.

Also the heavyweight division will be fine, it's got the current lineup & the next generation of olympians coming through now which I'm more excited to see in the mix

Comment

Joshua obviously. Everything about the comparison speaks in AJs favour.

AJ:
        - Fights the best
        - Speaks English
        - Is a heavyweight
        - Devastating KOs every fight
        - People person

Canelo:
        - Mexican

Comment

Originally posted by Poppo168 View Post
          Let's settle it this way:

Canelo is the biggest name in boxing at the moment.

Joshua will be the bigger star overall, once Eddie gets him over to the US to do interviews, promotions etc. He'll gain the US fans, he's learning Spanish to appeal to that demographic, they want him to fight all over the world to gain global fame.

Like Eddie said, they're doing a 4 part plan & they've just achieved stage 2, stage 3 & 4 will be building his legacy and fan base globally I'd imagine.

Also the heavyweight division will be fine, it's got the current lineup & the next generation of olympians coming through now which I'm more excited to see in the mix
          Canelo is not the biggest name in the sport at all. Such a myth

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
            Canelo is not the biggest name in the sport at all. Such a myth
            Seems to be doing the biggest numbers at the moment man

Comment

A popular HW will ALWAYS be the bigger boxing star regardless of skill and talent.

Comment

I voted for Canelo, but now that I think about it, AJ has the potential.

he's black
                he's Muslim

The liberal media and liberal ESPN will eat that shit up

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
                  A popular HW will ALWAYS be the bigger boxing star regardless of skill and talent.
                  Really? Which HW was bigger and more popular than Pacquiao, Mayweather, De La Hoya, Sugar Ray Leonard, at their peaks and during their respective careers?

Comment

I think people are making too much of the English speaking angle. Duran never spoke English and the man is a boxing icon. Pac speaks broken English and is known all over the world (or as Floyd said, "he can't speak no English). GGG, Loma, Kovalev, Cotto all speak broken English and are arguably more popular than Wilder.

I'm not saying Joshua won't be a big star. I like him, and I hope he is successful, but by the time he reaches 25 fights at the age of 30, the well will run dry and people will be tuning out when he is only fighting once a year against no-hopers. The division's glory days are well behind, there just isn't enough talent to go around today. Joshua will suffer the same fate as Holmes, a champion without an opponent. He beat a faded Ali after he had already been established, Joshua beat a faded Klitschko to launch his name. The air of Holmes balloon went out after he lost to Spinks. If Joshua loses to a guy like Haye or even Parker, everyone will call him a hype job. That's boxing in the 21st century--one loss takes you from hero to zero. Especially if you only fight once or twice per year.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                      Really? Which HW was bigger and more popular than Pacquiao, Mayweather, De La Hoya, Sugar Ray Leonard, at their peaks and during their respective careers?
                      Ali was more popular than SRL, he only got huge during the Duran/Hagler and the Holmes Berbick era and slowly faded away along with Hearns after Tyson got big. No one was really into Lewis or Wlad, but they still missed watching someone get starched hence Naseem Hamed's popularity, he paved the way for midgets.

Comment

Working...
                      X