No announcement yet.

Why Is Ward's Straight Right So Weak?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Is Ward's Straight Right So Weak?

In their first fight Ward hardly landed a good right hand. Andre has a good jab and a decent hook, I'm wondering if Ward's a converted lefty and his right is his weak hand. Or maybe it's due to an injury?

Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
    In their first fight Ward hardly landed a good right hand. Andre has a good jab and a decent hook, I'm wondering if Ward's a converted lefty and his right is his weak hand. Or maybe it's due to an injury?
    Its not weak, its just Kov has a good jab. I think Ward and Hunters plan was to sneak in a left hook because Kov extends his jab but lowers his right as he does. Thing is the first 3rds Kov came out faster than I think team Ward had assumed.

Comment

He was throwing the right hand with no problem against brand and barrera

Comment

he is a natural left hander. fighters with the eak hand in front can still have big power in that hand, but whenevr a fighter keeps the weak hand in back they very seldom carry power in that shot.

even DLH who was a massive puncher carried very little power in his right hand, being a converted fighter. winky wright, paul williams and ofcourse andre ward are other examples although none of them were punchers in any case.

there are some exceptions, andre dirrell seems to punch pretty much as hard from either stance and tyson had a brutal right cross despite being a converted left hander.

Comment

Because hes way too safety first and doesnt want to risk getting countered. He barely even threw it against that bum brand. Also he has no power in it so its useless.

Comment

He's a defensive fighter and typically does not commit himself to punches. He's rarely completely off balance, but it also means his punches do not carry too much power. It's also one of the things that let him maintain his energy and fight inside. He exerts himself on the inside, instead of committing to the punches at distance.

Comment

hes left handed

Comment

he had an injury when he was young that never really healed, hes basically a one handed fighter and has been winning that way. Power is not his thing I thought that was established but also kov did some things that made him stop throwing it.

Comment

He is naturally left handed fighting as an orthodox. I said his lack of a right hand will truly show against an offensive powerhouse in kov and i was right.

He barely landed a right hand. It is also why i still favor kov in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by uppercut510 View Post
                    he had an injury when he was young that never really healed, hes basically a one handed fighter and has been winning that way. Power is not his thing I thought that was established but also kov did some things that made him stop throwing it.
                    yes it was a shoulder injury IIRC from his youth

he had it corrected during one of his recent inactive periods post bad chad

Comment

Working...
                    X