Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Closing 2012: BoxingScene Pound-for-Pound Update

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with this list, dont listen to the idiots crying.

Comment

I'm pleased Ward is number 1. We have to end this notion of someone fighting once a year and being able to reclaim the top spot, supplanting another fighter who goes through his division (and only doesn't fight due to injuries).

Comment

Doesn't matter who makes the list no one will agree completely, everyone has a fan side to them regardless of how focused they are on presenting such a list as "unbiased." And when I speak of the fan element I'm not just saying a fighter or fighters in specific but more so the style they employ to get the job done. That's the reason before the Marquez fight it was also PAC and Floyd 1a/1b, some liked the aggressive/flashy nature of PAC while others marveled at the defensive mastery/precision that Floyd displayed. As far as what I believe (which obviously no one gives a **** about) Im more into tradition, that old school belief that your that man until someone takes you out. With that being said.

1. Mayweather- can't do right in the eyes of most followers, when he wants to he can damn near fight as clean a fight as you'll witness but then people call him boring. When he decides to be a little more aggressive and fan friendly he catches backlash from critics saying he's lost a step ala the cotto fight which anybody who really pays attention seen that was a decision not something cotto forced upon him.

2. Martinez- yes he got careless knocked down in his last fight with jr, but only after moping the floor with him and pitching a shutout, cleaned his divisiom out for the most part even though there's new blood coming (golovokin, pirog) which I believe he will fight if his body allows him to do so at his somewhat advanced age by modern boxing standards.

3. Ward- cant say anything bad about him at all, he's class in and outside the ring and the perfect example of a professional in every sense of the word. His resume is growing as the years go by, and if there was a bone id pick with him it's for not fighting Dawson at a comfortable weight for both even though Dawson offered and chefed up that scenario which ultimately backfired big time on him.

4. Donaire- Filipino flash is taking care of business and staying extremely active for a fighter of his stature. The mares and rigo fights are looming hopefully bob can get the **** done regardless of any promotional obstacles that will be present as the negotiations unwind.

5. Marquez- I love me some Marquez, but styles do make fights and he always gave PAC a run for his money if not beat him depending on who's judging and what there looking for. I myself thought it was 1-1-1 going into the forth fight, but his main focus has been PAC the last couple of years, and that to me leaves a lot to be desired to actually see how he would fair against other tough fighters that present different styles/match up problems at 140. Rios, matthyse, Garcia, khan, etc.

6. PAC- it's ironic that in his last fight where he was knocked out he actually looked the best he has in at least the last four fights, but everyone knows one punch can change everything and in his case, unfortunately it did. Hope he comes back as that same PAC, regardless of his critics definitely top 5 of his generation and maybe hands down the most exciting fighter for a certain span during so.

The rest of the list can be fumbled/switched around with the following.

Mares- great desire, hope the donaire fight gets done.
        Froch- enough said.
        Matthyse- can anyone actually beat this guy at 140, can't wait to see.
        Viloria- the past is the past for a reason, he's matured a whole lot, time for just due.
        Bradley- I know, I know, but still :/.
        Broner- resume is lacking but that's only a matter of time, skill wise I already see him as a top 5 p4p, very young and maybe the highest ceiling of any young champion there is in the game.
        Klitchkos- never been a big fan of putting heavyweights in my p4p lists because there was a point and time when there were the cream of the crop in terms of attention and notariety, how times have changed and competition is not nearly what it use I be at HW unfortunately.

Maybe a couple of people I forgot to throw out in terms of soon to be, but based off resumes and skill combined I believe that's what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary Hater View Post
          The reasons some put Froch in a Top 10 P4P are twofold, Feebler...

1. To justify Ward's high ranking/make him look better...

2. To keep getting all that traffic from The Land of the Foolish Superfans...

You know how many of you are always online and posting in these forums....

Fun Fact: Benn and Eubank were NEVER recognized as consensus Top 10 P4Pers.

Funnier Fact: How about that December 8th?....2007 and 2012....Hatton AND Pacquiao.

Greatest day EVER.

You're in the red, because you're an idiot. England has always produced some very talented fighters.

Comment

Best list I've seen so far

Comment

Originally posted by WladimirK View Post
              Switch Wlad with Ward.

That Mormeck win really impressed you, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

That Mormeck win really impressed you, huh?
                Coming from a Haye fan

Comment

Ward is awesome and I'm very excited to watch his career unfold further- but you can't bring Floyd down from being #1. That is a bit biased. I'm not a huge fan of Floyd's personality but you can't take #1 p4p away from him without him at least claiming another fake retirement. He has to lose, that's just common sense.

Comment

Overall it's a solid list IMO.

The top 5 are great but I had Martinez over JMM. Pac and Froch are too high IMO. I had pac at #5 before he was even KO'ed.

Ward
                    Mayweather
                    Martinez
                    JMM
                    Donair
                    Mares
                    Wlad
                    Bradley
                    Pac
                    Froch

Viloria, Garcia, Guerreo and Broner on deck.

Comment

Originally posted by WladimirK View Post
                      Coming from a Haye fan
                      I'm not a David Haye fan. His non-effort against Wlad was shameful. (Then again Wlad didn't look that great in that fight himself.)

Comment

Working...
                      X