Pacquiao vs Basilio @147

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao vs Basilio @147

Who takes this one?

I think Basilio will wear him down and win by late TKO in a 15 rounder.
    In a 12 rounder however I'm unsure the result.

Your thoughts?

I think Pacquiao would stop him on cuts/swelling. Pacquiao would hit him over and over and over and over and I don't think the refs would be as lenient as they were in Carmen's day. Other than a TKO stoppage, though, Basilio could maybe eke out a decision win. I have a suspicion that Pacquiao would box and move Basilio very effectively instead of trying to go to war.

Comment

Basilio was a bleeder. This is a very viable option for Pacquiao winning the fight.

however, if Pacquiao doesnt win on a cuts stoppage, I can see Basilio grinding him down and stopping him late.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        I think Pacquiao would stop him on cuts/swelling. Pacquiao would hit him over and over and over and over and I don't think the refs would be as lenient as they were in Carmen's day. Other than a TKO stoppage, though, Basilio could maybe eke out a decision win. I have a suspicion that Pacquiao would box and move Basilio very effectively instead of trying to go to war.
        In fairness, it is just as legitimate to have this fight take place in Basilio's day, rather than the modern.

To be honest, I am a huge Pacquiao fan. It's been a long time since anyone excited me in this sport quite the way he has, but it's hard for me to imagine him surviving a 15-rounder. Robinson has it big over Pacquiao in terms of punching power (as a MW, compared directly with Pacquiao's WW), crushing the iron-jawed Fullmer with one crippling blow, & in thirty rounds at 160, he cut, swelled & bruised Basilio but could not budge the man, either his body or his spirit.

Pacquiao has cruised to victories at WW (astonishingly), & you can't fault him for winning the way he has, but I just can't shake the feeling this is a rough, brutal fight. I would have to favour Basilio, being honest. He's considerably more solid than even Margarito, who Pacquiao struggled to discourage from coming forward for the most part, but like with Margarito, Pacquiao has sizeable advantages in speed & angles.

I agree with the consensus here. Pacquiao will have to get him out of there on facial damage. He can't convince Basilio not to press forward, & if he was laid up in bed after the sporadic body punishment Margarito dished out, Basilio might very well take the fight right out of Pacquiao's heart. He simply was on another level with his downstairs work, & Pacquiao could really be hurt if this fight ran late.

Pacquiao by the mid-rounds on cuts or swelling at 30% probability, Basilio by late stoppage (possibly Roach rescuing his charge between rounds?) at 70%.

Comment

if this fight were made today i would take pac to win, by stoppage possibly.

if this fight were to be made in carmens day over 15 rounds i would stick pick pac but by decision unless carmens eyes are swollen shut

Comment

Margarito hurt Pacquiao pretty significantly with bodywork over twelve rounds (moreso than appeared at first). I cannot see Pacquiao surviving Basilio's attack for fifteen.

Comment

Originally posted by rsf View Post
              if this fight were made today i would take pac to win, by stoppage possibly.

if this fight were to be made in carmens day over 15 rounds i would stick pick pac but by decision unless carmens eyes are swollen shut

This doesn't make sense my friend. Why would Pac stop him in a 12 rounder but not a 15?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

This doesn't make sense my friend. Why would Pac stop him in a 12 rounder but not a 15?
                I think he was saying the same reason I did. Refs were way more lenient back in the day as far as damage before a stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                  I think he was saying the same reason I did. Refs were way more lenient back in the day as far as damage before a stoppage.
                  That makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    That makes sense.
                    I have no doubt that Basilio's eyes would puff up like balloons. Pacquiao might not be a devastating puncher at 147+ but he's still a damn good one with a high workrate and crazy accuracy. Combine that with Basilio's porous defense and refusal to go anywhere, I see him taking a severe amount of punishment. Now, he'd be battering Pacquiao back and I'm not as sold on his chin at these higher weights as everyone else is. And I really really question his ability to take body punishment. Margarito had him hurting. You could see it in his eyes the first time that right uppercut landed on his ribs. Margarito, for all the **** he takes, is an absolute body snatcher, so nobody's really surprised by his ability to hurt the smaller man but Basilio could definitely do the same thing. Both guys take a beating, but Pacquiao lasts a little longer. Basilio doesn't go down though. I'm not stupid haha.

Comment

Working...
                    X