No announcement yet.

Roy Jones fights these 1930's heavies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
    Come now an 81 inch reach is hardly meh. And Galento’s stats are virtually identical to Tua’s.
    - -Tyson, Tua, and Rocky never met a fighter with a longer reach they couldn't beat.

No rule exists without exceptions, and any reach advantage has those exceptions

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -Tyson, Tua, and Rocky never met a fighter with a longer reach they couldn't beat.

No rule exists without exceptions, and any reach advantage has those exceptions
      Rocky and Tyson had styles that turned their reach disadvantages into advantages. They are not the best comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
        RJJ VS
        Primo Carnera
        Max Schmeling
        Max Baer
        Jack Sharkey
        James J Braddock
        Tony Galento

How does he do against these men?
        He outpoints Carnera, Braddock and Galento. I think Schmeling and Sharkey are too much for him. Sharkey was a better boxer and too strong. Baer was inconsistent. On his best day he can land that big right and it's over. Or Jones can box circles around him with superior speed and reflexes, so a 50/50 fight IMO.

Comment

I doubt glass Roy could even beat Johannsen.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
            Those Sloppy Joe's would think a guy like RJJ was from another planet. Looking at their resumes, it's a wonder they're considered legends.

We're talking about Roy Jones here... the guy is hardly Willie Pep. Obviously we're not taking his steroids away from him in these H2H match-ups, but if he had come of age in the 30s no one would have ever heard of him: the skills that made him great weren't even being tested in a labratory yet, and you had to have a chin and heart to survive.

It's not infeasible for him to win most of these. But to act like these "sloppy joes" don't have a chance when jones lost to tarver and landed only 25% of his punches against John Ruiz is way to bizarre to be believed. Your only chance at saving face here is to admit you're trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              johannsen could really ice a guy. he's much better than he's remembered for. I would greatly favor Jones, but it's a long 15 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                We're talking about Roy Jones here... the guy is hardly Willie Pep. Obviously we're not taking his steroids away from him in these H2H match-ups, but if he had come of age in the 30s no one would have ever heard of him: the skills that made him great weren't even being tested in a labratory yet, and you had to have a chin and heart to survive.

It's not infeasible for him to win most of these. But to act like these "sloppy joes" don't have a chance when jones lost to tarver and landed only 25% of his punches against John Ruiz is way to bizarre to be believed. Your only chance at saving face here is to admit you're trolling.
                What did Killer Mike say about dudes and their primitive ''skills'' ? Apply that query here.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
                  What did Killer Mike say about dudes and their primitive ''skills'' ? Apply that query here.
                  No idea. But I know that jones' "skills" were as primitive as I've seen. I highly doubt he would have had much of a career w/o the roids. Any other decade and no one remembers Jones. Maybe as a Hector Camacho, Niccolino Locche or Julian Jackson type... yeah know, a guy who provides amazing highlights, but couldn't muster a meaningful career.

There were fights where Jones showed some sound fundamentals, but it's a definitely a case of "use it or lose it". Those skills never materialized when he needed them most. It's definitely an example of "cheaters never prosper".

Don't get me wrong, he's dangerous. But to act like this is Willie Pep fighting a glamorized hack like George Dixon is absurd. If you were joking, it would be hilarious. But I don't sense a shred of irony.

Comment

Glass Roy wouldn't beat any of them. Maybe Braddock. Schmeling KO's him too. Everybody else did, Max might as well catch that train too.
                    Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    He outpoints Carnera, Braddock and Galento. I think Schmeling and Sharkey are too much for him. Sharkey was a better boxer and too strong. Baer was inconsistent. On his best day he can land that big right and it's over. Or Jones can box circles around him with superior speed and reflexes, so a 50/50 fight IMO.
                    johannsen could really ice a guy. he's much better than he's remembered for. I would greatly favor Jones, but it's a long 15 rounds.
                    Roy might decision braddock and galento. if sharkey, schmeling and baer can hit roy he gets stopped. if baer shows up motivated he stretches roy out on the canvas. i don't know about carnera, was he that much better than john ruiz?

i agree with the old hooker, johanssen would beat roy, he's lucky we aren't picking hws from the 1950's to beat him. i think one of the worst of these fantasy hw matchups for jones would be floyd patterson, because of his speed and power i think he'd really F jones up

Comment

No idea. But I know that jones' "skills" were as primitive as I've seen.
                      Okie dokie then

Comment

Working...
                      X