No announcement yet.

Boxing people: Here's a Ward vs. Calzaghe question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chav View Post
    It's just a matter of opinions and we both have them, we'll just agree to disagree.
    If Calzaghe lived in AMerica we'd have a better idea of who he fought to get to 46-0 so we might hold him in higher esteem.

Ward's resume through 25 fights is excellent. I simply don't know who Calzaghe fought in his 1st 25 fights but I can't see how it could be better than Ward's.

Comment

imo calzaghe beats ward

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
        If Calzaghe lived in AMerica we'd have a better idea of who he fought to get to 46-0 so we might hold him in higher esteem.

Ward's resume through 25 fights is excellent. I simply don't know who Calzaghe fought in his 1st 25 fights but I can't see how it could be better than Ward's.
        So your lack of knowledge of boxing is why you don't rate Calzaghe as high as he should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
          his best win is B-hop closely followed by Kessler.

Roy doesn't even rate.
          Which is what I'm stating, so that means Joe realy has 3 big wins, B-Hop, Lacy, And Kessler, Do those 3 names make a fighter great? I don't think so. Roy was so done its crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
            So your lack of knowledge of boxing is why you don't rate Calzaghe as high as he should be.
            But its pretty much fact though that wards resume at 25 fights is better then Calzaghe's. you disagree?

Comment

Waiting for daggum.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                you can't have him ahead of two roid cheats? he beat the other guy in his back yard
                are you sure you know what it means to fight in someones backyard? bcuz theres quite a bit of distance between las vegas and philadelphia, or maybe its just some good ol' weebler lies and truth twisting.

speaking of which it wasnt much of a "win" for calzaghe either now was it? the roid thing.. im not even gonna go in on that.

back to the topic, ward clearly has a better resume than calzaghe. to me its just as obvious that he would beat joe in a h2h matchup, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. nobody can deny that ward has a better resume though, thats just a fact. joes resume is weak as hell, his only impressive "win" is his gift decision over bhop.
                Last edited by #1Assassin; 04-17-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                  I am not rating Joe, I am simply pointing out that since he fought the abundance of his career in Europe against fighters I don't know, I can't properly evaluate his resume from 1-25. That said, Ward's resume is unique for fighters post 2000 because of the Super 6. I doubt highly if Calzaghe had that level of opposition at that stage of his career.

As for where I rate him, I think he was a very good fighter. I don't think he beat BHop. But I thought his evisceration of Jeff Lacy (terribly overarted fighter) was great. I always enjoyed watching him fight.

Comment

Calzaghe is not better than Ward, and Ward's resume is close to equal to Joe's right now. Ward has much more to his game than Joe, and seems to be able to adjust at any point in a fight.

Calzaghe beat Eubank, Reid, Woodhall, Veit, Brewer, Mitchell, Lacy, Bika, Kessler, and Hopkins (controversial though). Those guys were all in the Top 10, except for Bika who would become a Top 10 SMW and Veit, when Joe beat them. He has a pretty solid resume, not a resume that compares to comeone like Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, or James Toney, but a solid one. Ward will pass him though most likely, as he already has a great resume in only 25 fights so far, and hasn't even gone up to LHW or CW yet. Joe's best wins were probably Kessler, Hopkins (although controversial), and Lacy.

Ward has wins over Kessler, Green, Bika, Abraham, and Froch, who were all on the Top 10 and highly rated going in. He still can get guys like Lucian Bute, Andre Dirrell, Anthony Dirrell, George Groves, James DeGale, Robert Stieglitz, Edwin Rodriguez, just at 168 potentially depending on what happens int he next few years. His resume will be better than Joe's hands down when all is said and done.

Joe was also the victim of Sven Ottke not wanting to fight him. That would have been a bit of a legacy fight as well, because Ottke was the best SMW along side Joe after Roy Jones left 168 in the Mid 90's. Joe could have sealed his legacy big time had he moved to fight Roy Jones in the Late 90's as well at 175. He could have easily done that, and it would have been a great fight.

Joe has a solid resume, Ward has a great resume thus far, and will probably surpass Joe in the next couple years most likely already. H2H, I just think Ward has more to his game and can adjust to beat anyone at this stage in his career. And his fights aren't even close with the competition he's been in with.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
                      Calzaghe is not better than Ward, and Ward's resume is close to equal to Joe's right now. Ward has much more to his game than Joe, and seems to be able to adjust at any point in a fight.

Calzaghe beat Eubank, Reid, Woodhall, Veit, Brewer, Mitchell, Lacy, Bika, Kessler, and Hopkins (controversial though). Those guys were all in the Top 10, except for Bika who would become a Top 10 SMW and Veit, when Joe beat them. He has a pretty solid resume, not a resume that compares to comeone like Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, or James Toney, but a solid one. Ward will pass him though most likely, as he already has a great resume in only 25 fights so far, and hasn't even gone up to LHW or CW yet. Joe's best wins were probably Kessler, Hopkins (although controversial), and Lacy.

Ward has wins over Kessler, Green, Bika, Abraham, and Froch, who were all on the Top 10 and highly rated going in. He still can get guys like Lucian Bute, Andre Dirrell, Anthony Dirrell, George Groves, James DeGale, Robert Stieglitz, Edwin Rodriguez, just at 168 potentially depending on what happens int he next few years. His resume will be better than Joe's hands down when all is said and done.

Joe was also the victim of Sven Ottke not wanting to fight him. That would have been a bit of a legacy fight as well, because Ottke was the best SMW along side Joe after Roy Jones left 168 in the Mid 90's. Joe could have sealed his legacy big time had he moved to fight Roy Jones in the Late 90's as well at 175. He could have easily done that, and it would have been a great fight.

Joe has a solid resume, Ward has a great resume thus far, and will probably surpass Joe in the next couple years most likely already. H2H, I just think Ward has more to his game and can adjust to beat anyone at this stage in his career. And his fights aren't even close with the competition he's been in with.
                      Abraham was not a top 10 Super Middle when Ward beat him.

Comment

Working...
                      X