No announcement yet.

Do you hook off a jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you hook off a jab?

was just messing around on the bag and while doing so, throwing hooks off a jab ( south-paw right jab, right hook). It feels very unnatural to me and was wondering if anyone here likes throw this type of combination. If so, is it useful to you.

Yes, I do.

What you always wanna keep in mind is to keep your footwork straight, your front foot is directing the punch.

Comment

all the time. it gets some people to cover their face with their gloves, and then you just hook around their gloves and knock their head sideways. classic move.

Comment

I'm comfortable doing it from my natural southpaw stance, but I have not really gotten comfortable doing it from my adopted orthodox stance, I'm not sure if I ever will be. I can do it, but it doesn't feel good or natural.

Comment

great combination, more so if you throw that hook to the body

Comment

Originally posted by gerardofpr View Post
            great combination, more so if you throw that hook to the body
            agreed. i dont get alot of torque on my hook off the jab if i go upstairs.

Comment

I can do it great southpaw as my right hand is much quicker than my left. But I don't box in the orthodox stance. When I try it with my left hand in front, I feel that I take too much time to set up the hook and leave myself open for a counter.

Anything I can do to help that? Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Comment

I have a hard time throwing anything other than a straight right or jab off the jab. I always feel like im forcing it but its getting better

Comment

Working...
                X