No announcement yet.

Mares Fought Exactly How He Needed To Fight To Win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mares Fought Exactly How He Needed To Fight To Win

It's funny seeing so many posts from so called "boxing experts" claiming Mares was too wild, dirty and amateurish. Many of it is from fans that are nationalistic and don't like Mexican fighters and also from members who really just don't know boxing.

The Boxer vs. The Boxer/Puncher

Going into this fight, the majority of pundits and hardcore fans saw this fight as tough for Moreno, but with a clear win as Moreno is one of the best Boxers in the game right now. It is clear from last night's fight that the Mares camp knew that as well. They understood that Mares was not going to be able to stand in the middle of the ring and outbox Moreno.

So how do you fight a pure boxer with quick hands and great footwork? You close the distance as fast as possible to prevent him from getting his rhythm and start his work from the outside, you pressure him to make him uncomfortable and frustrated, you work the body to tire him out in the later rounds.

Mares did exactly that. The only issue here is, Moreno was cagey and went on the backfoot so Mares LITERALLY had to chase him around the ring to pressure and attempt to overwhelm Moreno. Of course Mares was going to look wild and a bit sloppy. But it WORKED. Unfortunately, when trying to overwhelm your opponent, you're in the mind set of trying to land as much as possible and there WILL be some lowblows here and there.

Dirty Tactics?

In the first Agbeko fight, Mares DID go low way too many times. But it is my opinion that it was unintentional. He was trying to work the body as much as possible and his punches went low. The problem here was that the ref did not do his job. I'm 100% sure that if he would have deducted point from Mares, they would have stopped. And if he didn't and the ref was indeed doing his job, he would have ultimately disqualify Mares. But he didn't. One of the reasons I feel that Mares is not an intentionally dirty fighter because it doesn't show in his previous fights. A dirty fighter will show his tendencies because it is more of a psychological issue than a strategy. There is non of that in any of Mares's prior fights. He did also give Agbeko a rematch to set things right.

With Moreno, I think detractors got carried away with Bernstein's commentary especially with the low blows that, upon review, were on the beltline. Even Bernstein corrected himself. The issue again was that the ref did not do his job correctly again. He did not warn Mares enough about coming in with his head and he deducted from Moreno when he pulled Mares's head down. That compounded the emotional response to Mares's sloppy offense, but you can't fault Mares for poor officiating.

The Knock Down

It was legit. He caught Moreno unexpectedly. Afterwards, Moreno leaned forward losing his balance and both Mares's and Moreno's momentum caused him to fall. But it all started with a punch. When Moreno rose, he still looked a little shaky and didn't complain. It was a legit KD.

Why Are Donaire and Moreno Being Compared?

I'm not sure why people are saying that Mares is going to be caught when he lunges in against Donaire. The only similarity Donaire and Moreno have is offensively and that's ONLY when Moreno is in rhythm and that was not often in this fight with Mares. At their best, both Donaire and Moreno work from the outside with their quick hands, but defensively, Moreno backpedals a lot more and has a more lateral movement. This is why Mares was so wild and open when coming in because he had to quickly close the gap.

Donaire won't be doing much backpedaling, but rather, he's all about positioning and angles. He'll find Mares from a comfortable distance attempting to make him cautious with his power and speed. He'll turn and engage. This is why I'm excited hoping this fight will happen. I think Donaire's intelligence, speed and power will be too much for Mares.

Anyway, Mares came out and did his task. He proved many people wrong and though he could have fought a cleaner fight, he did what he had to do. It seems that the dirtiness in this fight is being exaggerated by members with a personal distain for Mares's nationality.

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
    It's funny seeing so many posts from so called "boxing experts" claiming Mares was too wild, dirty and amateurish. Many of it is from fans that are nationalistic and don't like Mexican fighters and also from members who really just don't know boxing.

The Boxer vs. The Boxer/Puncher

Going into this fight, the majority of pundits and hardcore fans saw this fight as tough for Moreno, but with a clear win as Moreno is one of the best Boxers in the game right now. It is clear from last night's fight that the Mares camp knew that as well. They understood that Mares was not going to be able to stand in the middle of the ring and outbox Moreno.

So how do you fight a pure boxer with quick hands and great footwork? You close the distance as fast as possible to prevent him from getting his rhythm and start his work from the outside, you pressure him to make him uncomfortable and frustrated, you work the body to tire him out in the later rounds.

Mares did exactly that. The only issue here is, Moreno was cagey and went on the backfoot so Mares LITERALLY had to chase him around the ring to pressure and attempt to overwhelm Moreno. Of course Mares was going to look wild and a bit sloppy. But it WORKED. Unfortunately, when trying to overwhelm your opponent, you're in the mind set of trying to land as much as possible and there WILL be some lowblows here and there.

Dirty Tactics?

In the first Agbeko fight, Mares DID go low way too many times. But it is my opinion that it was unintentional. He was trying to work the body as much as possible and his punches went low. The problem here was that the ref did not do his job. I'm 100% sure that if he would have deducted point from Mares, they would have stopped. And if he didn't and the ref was indeed doing his job, he would have ultimately disqualify Mares. But he didn't. One of the reasons I feel that Mares is not an intentionally dirty fighter because it doesn't show in his previous fights. A dirty fighter will show his tendencies because it is more of a psychological issue than a strategy. There is non of that in any of Mares's prior fights. He did also give Agbeko a rematch to set things right.

With Moreno, I think detractors got carried away with Bernstein's commentary especially with the low blows that, upon review, were on the beltline. Even Bernstein corrected himself. The issue again was that the ref did not do his job correctly again. He did not warn Mares enough about coming in with his head and he deducted from Moreno when he pulled Mares's head down. That compounded the emotional response to Mares's sloppy offense, but you can't fault Mares for poor officiating.

The Knock Down

It was legit. He caught Moreno unexpectedly. Afterwards, Moreno leaned forward losing his balance and both Mares's and Moreno's momentum caused him to fall. But it all started with a punch. When Moreno rose, he still looked a little shaky and didn't complain. It was a legit KD.

Why Are Donaire and Moreno Being Compared?

I'm not sure why people are saying that Mares is going to be caught when he lunges in against Donaire. The only similarity Donaire and Moreno have is offensively and that's ONLY when Moreno is in rhythm and that was not often in this fight with Mares. At their best, both Donaire and Moreno work from the outside with their quick hands, but defensively, Moreno backpedals a lot more and has a more lateral movement. This is why Mares was so wild and open when coming in because he had to quickly close the gap.

Donaire won't be doing much backpedaling, but rather, he's all about positioning and angles. He'll find Mares from a comfortable distance attempting to make him cautious with his power and speed. He'll turn and engage. This is why I'm excited hoping this fight will happen. I think Donaire's intelligence, speed and power will be too much for Mares.

Anyway, Mares came out and did his task. He proved many people wrong and though he could have fought a cleaner fight, he did what he had to do. It seems that the dirtiness in this fight is being exaggerated by members with a personal distain for Mares's nationality.
    Great posts. Nonito will murder Mares. Mares is there to be hit, and Nonito has much much more speed and power than Moreno. Moreno is a robotic textbook boxer. Nonito is allot more natural, slick, smoother, and just a freaking beast even though I dont like him. He will kill Mares, if Moreno was able to hurt him.

Comment

With a ref that isn't bought off, Mares wouldn't be allowed to fight that way, not without getting a point taken away at least.

Comment

Great post!

Comment

Mares hits them right in the belt n it starts hurting them so they start holding him, if he bull rushes with his head then it should be easier to hit him n Donaire will expose that if thats the case but Mares will adjust something different against Donaire, Donaire is just one of those cases of a god gifted fighter where he can do it all, Ward, moneymay, RJJR are this type of fighters even Pacquiao in the lower weight classes looked great

good post TS

Comment

Mares won that fight but close not a landslide like that one judge had it. Mares attacked that runners body, Moreno backing away showed who controlled the fight and showed that Mares put fear in him, thats ring generalship when you got the other guy running away.

Mares biggest problem is his gas tank, he was hurting Moreno with the over hand.

But Al Bernstein got too emotional his hatred for Mares shined through, Bernstein is probably a Nonito Donaire fan. I was shocked to see Al be so biased, usually he is pretty fair and balanced. Moreno is a hard fighter to fight and Mares had to fight him really ugly like that to break his body.

Comment

I agree with ALL that the TS have posted.

Comment

I thought Mares won a close fight, and I agree that he did have the right gameplan, but it also greatly helped that his uncle refereed the fight and one of his cousins was a judge.

When Paulie was talking about Germany and the home fighter having one judge in the bag, I thought to myself, have you watched many high profile fights in the US over the last few years? If one judge thinks that Mares swept every round in that fight, he's one of two things: corrupt or incompetent.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  With a ref that isn't bought off, Mares wouldn't be allowed to fight that way, not without getting a point taken away at least.
                  He wasn't so bad this fight. Not like the first Agbeko fight. The perceived dirtyness isn't what won him this fight, though. It's how much he swarmed and invaded that won it in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X