• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A.K View Post
    Lara Hurd was a good fight but not no fight of the year
    What’s your choice?

Comment

Originally posted by Douché Williams View Post
      Maybe because it's still fresh in my memory but Fury vs Wilder was FOTY for me. It had all the drama you could want in a fight, just maybe not as much action.
      Good fight, but Fury was winning that bout easily until the knockdowns. Yes, there was definitely drama — Tyson unbelievably climbing off the canvas to finish the fight — but the rest was an uneventful, one-sided show.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        What’s your choice?

Gassiev doriticos

The suecedo fight

And wilder Ortiz

Comment

Good fight, but Fury was winning that bout easily until the knockdowns. Yes, there was definitely drama — Tyson unbelievably climbing off the canvas to finish the fight — but the rest was an uneventful, one-sided show.
          The drama was high. Fury's story coming in and Wilder's freak power. Then the story of the fight. Mostly one sided but for mine it was still a great one.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
            Gassiev doriticos

The suecedo fight

And wilder Ortiz
            Gassiev-Dorticos was something. I was cringing late in that one. I just knew Yunier wasn’t gonna hold up. What guts on those guys. Murat showed champion-level class in the postfight conference.

Comment

1. Lara-Hurd
              2. Gassiev-Dorticos
              3. Saucedo-Zappavigna
              4. Valdez-Quigg
              5. Wilder-Ortiz
              6. Tanaka-Kimura
              7. Alvarez-Golovkin II
              8. Lomachenko-Linares
              9. Rungvisai-Estrada
              10. Santa Cruz-Mares II

Who would’ve ever guessed Lara would be in a FOTY candidate, much less the winner? Haha And who says Cubans are boring boxers? Three of the top five listed fights featured Cubans. Lol

Anyway, I didn’t get to watch all these, but the ones I did were a lot of fun, if not great. Here’s hoping 2019 brings greater honor to our sport. All the best to the members here in the New Year!
              Lara-Hurd is an overrated fight, barely makes the top 10 for me.

I saw a boxing chat show where Keith Idec said Gassiev-Dorticos was the fight of the year so I went back and watched it... it has a great knockout but it's too one-sided to be anywhere near fight of the year.

Saucedo-Zappavigna was probably #1 or #2 for me, and Hooker-Saucedo was also in the top 12-ish.

I know Wilder-Fury is winning a lot of round of the year and comeback of the year accolades but the fight itself deserves to be in the top 10, Tyson boxed like a mofo, looked incredible, but got knocked down twice making it somewhat competitive. I think people don't want to include it on the list because of the hype or fear they will be called casual fans but it deserves a spot in the top 10 IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Sable&Whitefish View Post
                Lara-Hurd is an overrated fight, barely makes the top 10 for me.

I saw a boxing chat show where Keith Idec said Gassiev-Dorticos was the fight of the year so I went back and watched it... it has a great knockout but it's too one-sided to be anywhere near fight of the year.

Saucedo-Zappavigna was probably #1 or #2 for me, and Hooker-Saucedo was also in the top 12-ish.

I know Wilder-Fury is winning a lot of round of the year and comeback of the year accolades but the fight itself deserves to be in the top 10, Tyson boxed like a mofo, looked incredible, but got knocked down twice making it somewhat competitive. I think people don't want to include it on the list because of the hype or fear they will be called casual fans but it deserves a spot in the top 10 IMO.
                I was mildly surprised Wilder-Fury didn’t make the top-ten, but I was far from shocked. As I said earlier, I thought it was just too one-sided. FOTY usually features a hard-fought battle, drama, competitiveness, etc. There was that one moment of real drama, where it appeared Fury was done, and then he rose from the dead. The rest of the fight (which he should have been awarded, btw), except for the other knockdown round, was all his.

I missed Saucedo-Zappavigna, so I can’t opine on that one. But obviously you’re not alone in rating it.

Comment

Good fight, borderline classic but I felt SSR vs Estrada was the winner with the run up being Wilder vs Fury or Wilder vs Ortiz!

But still, I have no problem with a Lara vs Hurd as FOTY, lots of good and great fights in 2018!

Comment

I was mildly surprised Wilder-Fury didn’t make the top-ten, but I was far from shocked. As I said earlier, I thought it was just too one-sided. FOTY usually features a hard-fought battle, drama, competitiveness, etc. There was that one moment of real drama, where it appeared Fury was done, and then he rose from the dead. The rest of the fight (which he should have been awarded, btw), except for the other knockdown round, was all his.

I missed Saucedo-Zappavigna, so I can’t opine on that one. But obviously you’re not alone in rating it.
                    Yeah but they have Dorticos/Gassiev as their #2 fight of the year, that was pretty one-sided IMO at least in the second half, and Gassiev dropped Dorticos 3 times in the 12th. People are hyping that fight a lot, Dorticos fizzled and everyone knew he was going to need a few KDs or a KO by the later rounds to win it.

Fury - Wilder was more or less one-sided for Fury in terms of boxing ability and point-scoring, but Fury got knocked down twice. It was a high-drama fight. Deserves top 10 status for sure.

If you get a chance watch Saucedo-Zappavigna, it's excellent. It's a fight between a determined up-and-comer and a champion who had no intention of giving up his title. It was a bloodbath, beyond exciting.

Comment

Takana vs Kimura was my FOTN for sure, what a fight

Comment

Working...
                      X