No announcement yet.

NBC boxing peaks at a 3.1 rating, wins youth demographic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
    that's actually bad numbers very bad considering how much has been invested.

NBC going to ditch this PBC circus act and throw haymon on the curb. haymon can't keep paying his fighters millions to fight mediocre fights that no one cares about.
    lol, the desperation of folks who seem bent on wishing Haymon ill is hilarious.

The man already fronted all of the money for the TV dates; to that, you can also add that the telecast was able to consistently grow the audience over the full two and a half hours, peaking out at over 4.5m viewers (just in time to catch the hottest six round stretch of the entire broadcast).

Corona seems to be a big time sponsor of the venture, and it's looking like the advertisers may have found a ratings hit for the night, in the only demo that they really care about.

honestly hope you're just trying to troll, because it's going to be real touch/go when the Barclays show grows the rating next month, not to mention how distraught things will get when Haymon puts an American heavyweight champion back on primetime network TV. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
      I thought it was about getting a UFC-like tv deal.
      That'd be the obvious way to go, imho.

Still, 'looking at things from 30,000 feet', if Haymon is able to grow the audience for the PBC primetime shows from 3m to 4m-5m (or even larger, if that's possible for Saturday nights), why drastically alter the deal?

The initial deal runs it's course and Haymon negotiates to buy 10-12 primetime dates instead of just 5 (same terms get worked out for the network getting to sell the ads for all of the support programming). Instead of getting 20 dates for $20m, he gets 40 dates for $25m-$30m.

Selling the ads through his own company would be extra work, but Haymon has shown himself to be more than willing to chase down every dollar.

Would definitely raise the price commanded for Haymon to go along with a UFC-type content deal.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
        University basketball is very popular in the USA with certain demographics and Duke is a popular school so it's great that boxing outdid it.

I personally can't stand College sports, give me pro sports, I want to see the best.
        It's just such a different sporting culture from here, you might get 30 people at a University sports match in the UK, no TV cameras and maybe an small article in the paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
          It's just such a different sporting culture from here, you might get 30 people at a University sports match in the UK, no TV cameras and maybe an small article in the paper.
          College Football in the U.S. has stadiums that seat over 100,000. It is the third largest sport in the country and is a billion dollar industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Tay Roc View Post
            College Football in the U.S. has stadiums that seat over 100,000. It is the third largest sport in the country and is a billion dollar industry.
            It's definitely interesting, my question is why do so many people want to watch guys who aren't the finished article and might never make it?

It's seems like watching under-21 youth football/soccer or amateur boxing tournaments capturing the masses.

Comment

the ratings were solid and, most importantly, Thurman looked liked the next big thing. his next fight will be must see tv (nbc pun intended) to those folks that saw him for the first time last night. like every new show, its about building your audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                lol, the desperation of folks who seem bent on wishing Haymon ill is hilarious.

The man already fronted all of the money for the TV dates; to that, you can also add that the telecast was able to consistently grow the audience over the full two and a half hours, peaking out at over 4.5m viewers (just in time to catch the hottest six round stretch of the entire broadcast).

Corona seems to be a big time sponsor of the venture, and it's looking like the advertisers may have found a ratings hit for the night, in the only demo that they really care about.

honestly hope you're just trying to troll, because it's going to be real touch/go when the Barclays show grows the rating next month, not to mention how distraught things will get when Haymon puts an American heavyweight champion back on primetime network TV. lol
                He's already been banned for racism before. Hell hate even if floyd was on nbc

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                  He's already been banned for racism before. Hell hate even if floyd was on nbc
                  Man, I don't even recognize hanzgrubers posts anymore since he doesn't have Ruslan looking like a mentally handicapped person as his avi anymore, it's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                    Man, I don't even recognize hanzgrubers posts anymore since he doesn't have Ruslan looking like a mentally handicapped person as his avi anymore, it's crazy.
                    I think Gruber changed it because he's scared Matthysse is going to beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                      It's definitely interesting, my question is why do so many people want to watch guys who aren't the finished article and might never make it?

It's seems like watching under-21 youth football/soccer or amateur boxing tournaments capturing the masses.
                      A lot of reasons. Football is the biggest sport in the U.S. There are large universities in the U.S. that have over 40,000 students. Large student bodies + strong academic and sports traditions = vast alumni base. A lot of people have nostalgic feelings of where they went to college, and most tend to stay in the same state/area. College athletics used to be praised for its amatuerism (e.g., players aren't motivated by money, and are proud of where the attend school, etc.). Also, there are rivalries amongst colleges that have trace back 100 years. Fierce rivalries, plus strong conferences has made college athletics, especially football, to be very competitive and entertaining.

Lastly, college athletics fosters the best, live environment. It's comparable to large soccer events in Europe. Loyalty from alumni is stronger than loyalty to a professional sports franchise; you have a stronger connection to the academic institution. It unites all generations. In the Southern states, college football essentially shuts down the entire state for a few hours.

Comment

Working...
                      X