No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Sweet Pea vs GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNBANNED View Post
    Sweet Pea is better than GGG in every fashion. It's a terrific compliment anyone would compare GGG to Sweet Pea...I know I wouldnt make that comparison.

GGG is more like Lucian Bute to me - career wise
    Both GGG and Bute have solid wins, however Bute got destroyed in what was viewed as a 50/50 fight going in against Carl Froch.

Golovkin did much better against Canelo for example so I give the edge to GGG if we are comparing him to Lucian Bute.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing_1013 View Post
      Not head to head of course...but resume wise it is interesting that one dominated with decision wins over good fighters, and one with KO wins over good fighters..
      GGG hasnt koed good fighters yet, but he might, so I withold judgement until hes finished, as you should.

Sweet Pea is a 4 division champ, so theres that we are waiting for GGG to accomplish too, drop us a line when he does. you never know he might!
      Last edited by DreamFighter; 03-11-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
        McGirt and Nelson aren’t far better than Murray and LeMew? Dumb even for someone with your agenda. Borderline ******ed.
        Bro how can anyone honestly say that McGirt has this great stellar resume...like who is his best win? He was a really good fighter, just as Jacobs and SD were...if you want to overrate past guys in order to slight current guys, that's cool man, do you...I just evaluate things objectively based on what I see...some people just have a red-line on here for GGG so they will strike down anything about him and not even look at anything with him objectively...it's just weird man.

If the claim to greatness for Sweet Pea, and sorry-ness for GGG, is Pernell's wins over McGirt and Nelson and that GGG's career can't compete with that...I mean lol...I mean wow we are scraping the bottom of the barrel man.

I made the thread because I was having a convo in another thread about Pernell and Loma...and when looking again at Pernell's career those 2 fights with Mexicans were very interesting, compared to what happened to GGG...history repeats itself I suppose.

Sweet Pea is better than GGG in every fashion. It's a terrific compliment anyone would compare GGG to Sweet Pea...I know I wouldnt make that comparison.

So what are Sweet Pea's best official wins? Or in what way would you prop Pernell way above GGG? Likely it has to do with what color they were, if I could really read your mind

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
        I completely disagree tbh mate, I dunno how well you know Azumah Nelson’s career but that guy went toe to toe with an ATG in Salvador Sanchez for 15 rounds, great fight as well if you haven’t seen it. Nelson also beat the great Wilfredo Gomez knocking him out on the road in Puerto Rico, he also scored a huge upset stopping Jeff Fenech again in the away corner in front of 40,000 Australian’s. Azumah Nelson was a GREAT fighter, he’s far better than Jacobs, Lemieux etc.

As for McGirt, very good fighter not on the same level as Nelson in terms of resume but very talented. I’d definitely consider him a better fighter than Jacobs, Murray etc.
        ...re Sanchez and Nelson...Jacobs went toe to toe with Canelo in a good fight...you see what I'm saying...yes Gomez was a very good win for sure...but now we are hyping up Jeff Fenech man...come on man.
        Last edited by Boxing_1013; 03-11-2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
          GGG hasnt koed good fighters yet, but he might, so I withold judgement until hes finished, as you should.

Sweet Pea is a 4 division champ, so theres that we are waiting for GGG to accomplish too, drop us a line when he does. you never know he might!
          Well then very few guys have ever KOed a good fighter if GGG hasn't and Sweet Pea would have about 3 good wins then lol...yes as mentioned moving up in weight was a feather in Pernell's cap if compared to GGG...though Pernell has a couple more losses than GGG as well...and it is a bit easier to traverse the lower weights as well, especially if you start as a pro younger, as Sweet Pea did.

In any event, thanks for your reply

Comment

Not head to head of course...but resume wise it is interesting that one dominated with decision wins over good fighters, and one with KO wins over good fighters...both having the same number of wins, and about the same number of good wins.

Then in their two high-profile big fights, they got an official draw and loss to a Mexican star, when many feel they deserved better in those 2 fights.

Sweet Pea moved up the weights, while GGG stayed at 160...Sweet Pea had another disputed loss early in his career and a couple of losses late...GGG officially with only the one loss and draw to Canelo.

Anyway, thought it was interesting when comparing the two in another thread...any thoughts? The draw and loss for Sweet Pea vs ODLH and Chavez just reminded me of GGG's with Canelo, and then the dominance vs good fighters they both showed was similar...I know a lot on here hate GGG and rate Sweet Pea so curious as to what I'm missing.
            McGirt and Nelson aren’t far better than Murray and LeMew? Dumb even for someone with your agenda. Borderline ******ed.

Tbh I'm not really sure how anyone objective could read what I wrote, and then compare the careers of Whitaker and GGG if they needed a reference...and come away saying anything other than 'yeah they were pretty similar.'

Or, if they really disagreed...seems like it would be pretty easy to say 'well I disagree for x y and z reasons.'

Instead you guys sound like you start crying and are offended someone pointed out something rather obvious lol...for some on here, anything to disparage GGG, I suppose...hope you gents have a great day however.

Comment

Bro how can anyone honestly say that McGirt has this great stellar resume...like who is his best win? He was a really good fighter, just as Jacobs and SD were...if you want to overrate past guys in order to slight current guys, that's cool man, do you...I just evaluate things objectively based on what I see...some people just have a red-line on here for GGG so they will strike down anything about him and not even look at anything with him objectively...it's just weird man.

If the claim to greatness for Sweet Pea, and sorry-ness for GGG, is Pernell's wins over McGirt and Nelson and that GGG's career can't compete with that...I mean lol...I mean wow we are scraping the bottom of the barrel man.

I made the thread because I was having a convo in another thread about Pernell and Loma...and when looking again at Pernell's career those 2 fights with Mexicans were very interesting, compared to what happened to GGG...history repeats itself I suppose.

So what are Sweet Pea's best official wins? Or in what way would you prop Pernell way above GGG? Likely it has to do with what color they were, if I could really read your mind

...re Sanchez and Nelson...Jacobs went toe to toe with Canelo in a good fight...you seem what I'm saying...yes Gomez was a very good win for sure...but now we are hyping up Jeff Fenech man...come on man.
              Bro... Nelson is 10x the fighter Jacobs was. Jacobs best win is Peter Quilin. Nelson beat great fighters like Wilfredo Gomez! If you’re seriously comparing Danny Jacobs to Azumah Nelson then you DKSAB.

Even Jeff Fenech is a better fighter than Jacobs, Fenech was a 3 weight world champion. He was no all time great but he was a good fighter and is a IBHOF’er.

Comment

Nelson is 10x the fighter Jacobs was. Jacobs best win is Peter Quilin. Nelson beat great fighters like Wilfredo Gomez! If you’re seriously comparing Danny Jacobs to Azumah Nelson than you DKSAB.

Even Jeff Fenech is a better fighter than Jacobs, Fenech was a 3 weight world champion. He was no all time great but he was a good fighter and is a IBHOF’er.
                Jacobs' best win is pretty obviously Derevychenko.

Yes...I said Gomez was a very good win for Nelson...his next best win, according to you, is over Jeff Fenech...saying based on that, that he is 10x better than Danny Jacobs who is a MW world champion, and to steal your phrase - went toe to toe with the great Canelo Alvarez in his prime - I mean again you seem like you are guilty of what many on here do, which is to prop up some very good past fighters above what they did relative to achievement...

I would even say Geale in his prime was a better fighter than Fenech, and Jacobs, prime vs prime, is probably better than Geale.

I mean I never thought I would see people really getting emotional and swearing that a win over Jeff Fenech is indicative of someone being a great fighter, but a win over Danny Jacobs or Sergei Derevchenko (who is Danny's best win btw) is not...bizarre lol...and that anyone who disagrees doesn't know boxing lol.

But keep thinking you are this oracle of boxing and know it all I guess man.

Saying you feel Fenech to be a better fighter than Jacobs...that is your opinion, I've seen worse ones...I disagree with it of course...but it is reasonable to feel that way I guess...but even then you said it like it's a fact, and it's not lol.

And then you're crying like a baby because someone puts Nelson and Jacobs, rather appropriately I would say, in the same category - not the top of the elite but a rung or two below - if you view Nelson above him, that's cool...but citing Jeff Fenech as evidence why, well any neutral jury in the world would say you haven't proven your case, counselor.

Comment

Jacobs' best win is pretty obviously Derevychenko.

Yes...I said Gomez was a very good win for Nelson...his next best win, according to you, is over Jeff Fenech...saying based on that, that he is 10x better than Danny Jacobs who is a MW world champion, and to steal your phrase - went toe to toe with the great Canelo Alvarez in his prime - I mean again you seem like you are guilty of what many on here do, which is to prop up some very good past fighters above what they did relative to achievement...

I would even say Geale in his prime was a better fighter than Fenech, and Jacobs, prime vs prime, is probably better than Geale.

I mean I never thought I would see people really getting emotional and swearing that a win over Jeff Fenech is indicative of someone being a great fighter, but a win over Danny Jacobs or Sergei Derevchenko (who is Danny's best win btw) is not...bizarre lol...and that anyone who disagrees doesn't know boxing lol.

But keep thinking you are this oracle of boxing and know it all I guess man.

Saying you feel Fenech to be a better fighter than Jacobs...that is your opinion, I've seen worse ones...I disagree with it of course...but it is reasonable to feel that way I guess...but even then you said it like it's a fact, and it's not lol.

And then you're crying like a baby because someone puts Nelson and Jacobs, rather appropriately I would say, in the same category - not the top of the elite but a rung or two below - if you view Nelson above him, that's cool...but citing Jeff Fenech as evidence why, well any neutral jury in the world would say you haven't proven your case, counselor.
                  If anyone is crying it is you... you clearly have issues over GGG. Funny thing is kid I’m probably a 10x bigger GGG fan than you. I was at both Canelo fights. You?

Salvador Sanchez was a better fighter than Canelo. Don’t even try and compare Jacobs getting outboxed by Canelo to Azumah Nelson going toe to toe with Sanchez in a 15 round war. You’ve clearly never watched Nelson, Sanchez etc. You’ve probably never even watched much of Sweet Pea tbh. You e
                  are completely uneducated on those fighters which explains your delusional comparisons.

Fenech achieved more than Jacobs. FACT. Won more world titles, more defences etc etc. So evidently your opinion is WRONG. Do you really think Jacobs is making the IBHOF?

This just looks like a pathetic attempt to prop up GGG’s solid but by no means great resume.

You fanboys are pathetic man...

Comment

Possibly the worst comparison I’ve ever seen.

I actually thought this guy was being genuine but he clearly has some weird fanboy agenda.

I’m a huge GGG fan but anyone who has followed both fighters knows Sweet Pea had a better career and beat better fighters.

Comment

If anyone is crying it is you... you clearly have issues over GGG. Funny thing is kid I’m probably a 10x bigger GGG fan than you. I was at both Canelo fights. You?

Salvador Sanchez was a better fighter than Canelo. Don’t even try and compare Jacobs getting outboxed by Canelo to Azumah Nelson going toe to toe with Sanchez in a 15 round war. You’ve clearly never watched Nelson, Sanchez etc. You’ve probably never even watched much of Sweet Pea tbh. You e
                      are completely uneducated on those fighters which explains your delusional comparisons.

Fenech achieved more than Jacobs. FACT. Won more world titles, more defences etc etc. So evidently your opinion is WRONG. Do you really think Jacobs is making the IBHOF?

This just looks like a pathetic attempt to prop up GGG’s solid but by no means great resume.

You fanboys are pathetic man...
                      Yet again you show yourself to be the emotional one...not me man...Sal died when he was 23...what he accomplished before then was great...Canelo is a great Mexican fighter as well...most would put both of them top 5 all-time right now for Mexicans...if you want to insist Sanchez at 23 demonstrated he was so superior what Canelo has done in about double the amount of time/real fights, ok cool? lol.

I think him JCC Sr and Canelo are top 3 for me, with Barrera and Marquez rounding it out...if I am forgetting someone obvious there, it is possible but no one comes to mind.

I'm in my 30s...over the past decade or so I've followed boxing rather closely...this includes watching a lot of film of past greats and of course the current ones...so yes I've seen quite a bit of those guys...and I've always been partial to lefties who can box, so of course took a strong liking to Sweet Pea.

He reminds me in a lot of ways of a (slightly) better version of Lara...both could dazzle you with skills, clean countering, and not getting hit...but at times each man had periods of inactivity which gave their opponents more of a chance than they really deserved.

Again you come off as a (probably slightly older) poster who wants to overrate (imho) past fighters because they were 'your era' so you rate them very highly as they hold a special place in your heart...but the truth is, when you really study it, there isn't much of a difference between some of the guys that you are indicating are world's apart.

And when your (rather poor - no offense) argument about WHY those guys were so much better was countered, you reacted like a spoiled child who had his ball taken away lol.

I would add here as well, that athletes (and fighters) absolutely tend to improve over time and get bigger/faster/stronger.
                      Isn't to say that no past greats could compete today...or that very good fighters from the 80s and 90s would be outclassed by similar guys today.

But in general, yes, a very good fighter today will be better than a very good fighter from a different era...comparing resumes and accomplishments in eras is a different matter though...and a fair one in comparing eras.

Tbh with you I don't really consider myself a fan of any fighters really, not anymore anyway...I just enjoy watching the sport and seeing who the better man is on the night...I am quick to give props to fighters from all backgrounds and feel I evaluate all fighters objectively, without regard to color/country of origin, or personal preference (whether I 'like' the guy or his style in the ring, or out).

95-98% of people on here just evaluate fights/fighters from their rose-colored glasses...I honestly don't think I'm one of them...and how could you call me a fanboy of GGG, but say you are 10x the fan of his lol?

I just call it like I see it with him...he's had a great career and should get more props on here imho but that isn't always the case, who cares lol.

I don't sit here and say he dominated Ouma before KOing him or in the SD fight...he had a very tight fight with Ouma before the KO and I had it 6-6 vs SD but felt SD was a bit unlucky in the first 2 rounds to be down 3 points, and it was a hard hole to climb out of...and he still could have, as I would have no issue with someone scoring it for him 7-5 there.

Point being there that if I really had some agenda with GGG...I would say he was beating Ouma easily before the KO, and I would certainly never out of the blue advertise my feelings that it was a tight fight...I would say that he beat SD handily and it wasn't that close.

But I just call it like I see it, so I say what I see...and neither of those guys are ATGs...so them giving GGG a good fight..well people can get on GGG for having tight fights vs guys of that level, can't they? And they are perfectly fine to do so...of course most greats have similar type moments, and most actually lose to those types of guys, so it isn't a big deal...but even pointing that out may send some on here into hysteria...'well that guy that beat "insert great fighter here" was way better than that guy that beat "insert name of fighter you don't like" lol.

Possibly the worst comparison I’ve ever seen.

I actually thought this guy was being genuine but he clearly has some weird fanboy agenda.

I’m a huge GGG fan but anyone who has followed both fighters knows Sweet Pea had a better career and beat better fighters.
                      But you posted on the first page about how you felt the comparison was appropriate though? I made the comparison on two fronts...1) they both dominated, in different ways, vs good competition...you disagreed, and tried to explain why...I feel you made a weak case and I emotionless-ly called that out...you got upset...sorry man? lol

And then you agreed on my 2nd point about the two fights each guy had vs Mexican greats in their career...it was just funny to me that both guys had an official draw and loss in their two fights with Mexican greats, and many would say they should have had 2 Ws...as you basically agreed to as well.

If you want to be emotional about everything, that's cool...but I don't think you look like a boxing genius by saying stuff like swearing up and down that Jeff Fenech is a great win and indicative of someone being a great fighter.

As noted before...you are probably a bit older guy, who watched those guys growing up, and you have a special place in your heart for them so you view that era and and critique or comparison of it rather emotionally.

Which is fine...it happens...but yeah I think as many on here do, you are overrating past fighters in order to prop them up, for whatever reason...I just call it like I see it my friend.

And as someone who agreed with me (and most others) that GGG and Sweet Pea should have fared better in those 2 fights vs Mexican greats...your insistence that Sweet Pea is better than GGG due to wins over McGirt and Nelson...I mean sorry man, I think you are once again another on here who fails to realize that what makes 99% of great fighters great - is beating 9/10 or even 10/10 of the good solid pros they faced...most greats only face 1-2 or maybe 3 other greats in their primes/best weights, and usually they have mixed results there.

Trying to rate PW way over GGG based on two wins over McGirt and one over Nelson...yeah idk man you would seem to have the agenda there and not me...oh well, to each their own my friend.
                      Last edited by Boxing_1013; 03-11-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X