No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Canelo/Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob Barrett, Sr View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is weight classes exist for a reason...and I don't think Kov is done at 175, and if he fought Beterbiev or Bivol I would say it is a pick-em fight, shading it to Kov since he is the known quantity.

Maybe I am wrong though, been wrong before, will be wrong again

If Kov gets beat, I hope he doesn't retire and maybe faces Beterbiev...so we can see what he has left... or I hope Canelo faces the winner of Beterbiev/The Nail...would be hard to hate on him if he does that and wins.

Caveat here btw is if Canelo goes 12 rounds he will very likely win on the cards...so I am not looking forward to that scenario if it happens...where he really loses but his supporters back the result
    A couple of moths ago , a suspect on this forum said the same thing you are saying ; and I asked him what did Kovi do to him
    Why ? Cause Beterbiev will kill him
    Not just hurt him but literally kill him
    So I ask you , what did poor Kovi do to you or say
    Hence the reason why Canelo wants him so fughin bad and believe me , after his damn convincing victory he will drop that belt faster than you can say booh
    Canelo wouldn’t dare fight Beterbiev or for that matter Gvozdyk
    Maybe , and a big fughin maybe , Bivol at 168
    And I would favour Bivol in that fight

Comment

I see the fight ending like canelo vs josesito lopez one. Brutal combo on the ropes. Nelo winning.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eq9pInAkvJI
      Last edited by Gideon lock; 09-14-2019, 12:40 AM.

Comment

I'm curious how Canelo's chin holds up against Kovalev. Canelo looked unphased by Golovkin's power and he he took about 2 or 3 hellacious shots from Jacobs and hardly budged.

I think he wears down Kovalev and stops him late.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Barrett, Sr View Post
          Since I know everyone on here peruses my posts for boxing insights (Robbie - or should we say Isaac, abouttime, I'm Widdit, I'm looking at you), I figured I would post my thoughts about Canelo/Kov here in this thread:

1) I'm wondering if Canelo is choosing to go up in weight to face the 'boogeyman' rather than face GGG again at 160...because maybe he knows that a 3rd fight against GGG will be very tough and maybe Canelo knows he (Canelo) was close to breaking in the 2nd fight...if he breaks against Kov, there is no real shame in that...if he breaks first vs GGG, it is very harmful to his legacy.

2) If Canelo faces Kovalev at 175 with no restrictions, I think we should all give him credit, win or lose...Kov is still arguably number 1 at 175...and still has quite a bit left....so even if he is running uphill to face Kov to avoid GGG, it is still a tough fight and Nelo should be commended for it.

3) That being said, the A side doesn't take on fights for no reason...and Canelo and his team obviously see things in Kov to take this fight...most notably probably that Kov is lean and his body is accessible, and can have issues with stamina later in fights...and Canelo is a good body puncher.

4) I don't think Kov is that weak to the body, he takes any individual shot pretty well...if Canelo has success on him and wears him down with body shots, he should get credit imo.

As most of us have said, Canelo needs to weather the storm early and then hope to wear Kov down with body shots in the middle-late rounds and win by fatigue.

Part of me can't see how Canelo can avoid the power in the early rounds and make it deep in the fight...and part of me can't see why his team would take this fight unless they feel pretty confident that Canelo will be the winner.

Should be an interesting last few months of 2019, some good fights to be had.

Robbie, Time, Widdit, shoot be a PM if you guys have any questions or need any help with anything. Dad is here to help.

yeah bro Canelo is afraid to fight an older version of a guy hes fought twice already. strong logic

Comment

Kovalevs legs have gone, he's noway near as dynamic as he was but he's got smarter with age and found a way to prolong himself. I completely disagree he is washed up, physically faded sure but definitely not my definition of washed and this talk that so many beat him is absurd. He is fundamentally very sound therefore
            I see a gradual decline. I don't see a shot fighter.

Its intriguing I personally think Canelo's tank is every bit as bad if not worse and that is without the 2 division climb and he's going to have to exert a lot of energy getting under that jab.
            I suspect Canelo will start bright and he'll cause Kovalev allsorts of problems with his speed advantage early but it'll take a lot more out of him than it does Kovalev who'll find it increasingly easy to find home for that jab and control Canelo once his upper body becomes more static. I don't feel he will stop Canelo he's built to take a shot and rides shots very, very well but do enough to win a pretty clear decision.

Comment

kovalev's long power jab + stiff power right hand will be the end of canelo. guaranteed.

kovalev will keep the fight at the distance and land those hard 1-2's. all night.

canelo will exert a lot of energy trying to box and weave into the inside but kovalev will catch him and hold (if he gets too close). canelo will gas out completely because of all that extra weight he will be carrying and the punishment he will be receiving. his stamina is already pretty pathetic at middleweight.

and canelo absolutely doesn't have enough power to badly hurt kovalev. he couldn't hurt any top fighter he has fought. he isn't hurting kovalev. nope.
              Last edited by Divine Hammer; 09-14-2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Canelo is a 7-1 favorite to win this fight, it just shows you how competitive this fight will be.

Kovalev best punch his power jab isn’t enough to best Canelo on the cards and we witness this when judges in both GGG-Canelo fights kinda ignored scoring the jabs.

After 6th round Kovalev has nothing left, he’s got serious stamina problem, worse than Canelo. He almost got KO’ed by a bodybuilder his last fight.

Kovalev survived Yarde because Yarde has stamina issues, was too green and didn’t even spar for the fight.

Bottom line this fight is nothing but a mirage. Cotto-Martinez all over again

Comment

Let's see now...Kovalev had a hard fight two months from the Canelo fight night. He's 37 yrs old. Tough to get your body back from damage in 2 (two) months with that old a body. He has looked poor to bad since Ward II. Been KO'd twice in that time. He's the weakest of the LHW belt holders.

And that's who Canelo picks for a "legacy" "step up" "challenging" fight. Sure he did.

Comment

Originally posted by MulaKO View Post
                    Let’s go back to the Yarde fight
                    If not mistaken , around the third round Yarde finally decided to go to the body
                    But the big brain on Yarde threw like maybe six shots , even though very fughin successful
                    Go back and watch it : Kovi cringes like he just got shot

Yes Canelo is smaller , yes Canelo has shorter reach , yes Canelo is not a legitimate light heavyweight
                    Mark my words Canelo will bully his way in ( not saying he will bully Kovi ) to get to that body
                    Kovi won’t have any answers for the volume and the body assault and the fact he can’t fight off his back foot
                    This my man is a cash out at its best
                    Not this Kovi and not this time
                    Originally posted by MulaKO View Post
                    A couple of moths ago , a suspect on this forum said the same thing you are saying ; and I asked him what did Kovi do to him
                    Why ? Cause Beterbiev will kill him
                    Not just hurt him but literally kill him
                    So I ask you , what did poor Kovi do to you or say
                    Hence the reason why Canelo wants him so fughin bad and believe me , after his damn convincing victory he will drop that belt faster than you can say booh
                    Canelo wouldn’t dare fight Beterbiev or for that matter Gvozdyk
                    Maybe , and a big fughin maybe , Bivol at 168
                    And I would favour Bivol in that fight
                    I changed my name to troll Robbie...so it may have been me? I don't really know to what you are referring tbh..if you think Canelo should be favored here, well you are entitled to your opinion...I still think Kov is a very live dog a 175 and is more or less what he was...matchup wise though it could be a good pick for Canelo, vs Beterbiev or the Nail or maybe Bivol...I have not seen enough of them to really comment.

Originally posted by SweetPbfAli View Post
                    Canelo was close to breaking on the 2nd fight? I have to give that another look because I had it the other way around.
                    Both fights GGG came on strong in the late-middle rounds to, imo, seal the victory.

Fight 2 had more action/punches landed than fight 1, from both fighters...I think it is possible that Canelo feels a 3rd fight will be even more intense, and perhaps in those late-middle rounds vs GGG he knows it will be especially tough for him...in any event, if he is 30% likely to break against GGG, and 50% against Kov, Kov may be the better pick, as his legacy will not take a huge hit if he can't get it done against Kov...in a way it is a smart move from him.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                      If there are absolutely no weight restriction meaning no catchweight and no 2nd weigh in then I like the fight and think Kovalev has a chance to win. Any type of weight draining would spoil it for me. Kovalev is already handicapped by returning to the rink so quickly.
                      Yes good comments, I agree.

Originally posted by BigDramaShow View Post
                      I know it's a move up in weight for Canelo, but I think GGG hits harder than Kovalev, and Canelo took some heavy shots. Kov doesn't have GGG's chin, body or stamina and I can see Canelo hurting him. Won't know till we see it though.
                      Yep, hard to say how GGG compares to the guys at 168-175...this will be a decent litmus test for that as well.

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
                      Imho,

Kov is going to test Nelo at the opening bell.

This is the moment of truth -

Can Nelo handle it ? I see his boxing skills being able to withstand Kov's onslaught.
                      I see him catching Kov in an exchange. If Kov laughs it off, Nelo is toast (9th rd tko).
                      I think Nelo will get Kov's attention and this will turn into a boxing match.

Close but Nelo wins.
                      Haters will say Kov was 100 yrs old.
                      Kov will then win his next x amount of fights by ko.

The world will laugh at the haters once again
                      I just hope the right man gets his hand raised at the end of the fight

Originally posted by HarvardBlue View Post
                      I'm curious how Canelo's chin holds up against Kovalev. Canelo looked unphased by Golovkin's power and he he took about 2 or 3 hellacious shots from Jacobs and hardly budged.

I think he wears down Kovalev and stops him late.
                      Yes how he fares against Kov's power I think will be the most telling thing and will pretty much dictate who wins...especially in the sense that if Kov outboxes him 8-4 or similar, he is still likely not getting a decision over Nelo.

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                      yeah bro Canelo is afraid to fight an older version of a guy hes fought twice already. strong logic
                      My friend...as another pointed out, the logic here is that it is always easier to go up and face the boogeyman, than it is to face the boogeyman at your own weight class...why? because if you to lose the fighter above you, it doesn't hurt your legacy...if Canelo loses to GGG next, and possibly gets stopped, it would be damaging to his legacy.

And fight 2 had considerably more action than fight 1, which also had a lot of action...it is reasonable to think that fight 3 will have even more action as both guys know each other well, and Canelo is perhaps fearing those late-middle rounds where GGG's stamina and workrate are consistent, and Nelo's stamina fades.

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                      Kovalevs legs have gone, he's noway near as dynamic as he was but he's got smarter with age and found a way to prolong himself. I completely disagree he is washed up, physically faded sure but definitely not my definition of washed and this talk that so many beat him is absurd. He is fundamentally very sound therefore
                      I see a gradual decline. I don't see a shot fighter.

Its intriguing I personally think Canelo's tank is every bit as bad if not worse and that is without the 2 division climb and he's going to have to exert a lot of energy getting under that jab.
                      I suspect Canelo will start bright and he'll cause Kovalev allsorts of problems with his speed advantage early but it'll take a lot more out of him than it does Kovalev who'll find it increasingly easy to find home for that jab and control Canelo once his upper body becomes more static. I don't feel he will stop Canelo he's built to take a shot and rides shots very, very well but do enough to win a pretty clear decision.
                      yes how Canelo does stamina wise will be very key...I was impressed with how he held up against the pace and workrate of GGG in both fights...those were tough tests for him and he seemed to pass them stamina-wise

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
                      kovalev's long power jab + stiff power right hand will be the end of canelo. guaranteed.

kovalev will keep the fight at the distance and land those hard 1-2's. all night.

canelo will exert a lot of energy trying to box and weave into the inside but kovalev will catch him and hold (if he gets too close). canelo will gas out completely because of all that extra weight he will be carrying and the punishment he will be receiving. his stamina is already pretty pathetic at middleweight.

and canelo absolutely doesn't have enough power to badly hurt kovalev. he couldn't hurt any top fighter he has fought. he isn't hurting kovalev. nope.
                      Good post

Originally posted by PRchamp View Post
                      Canelo is a 7-1 favorite to win this fight, it just shows you how competitive this fight will be.

Kovalev best punch his power jab isn’t enough to best Canelo on the cards and we witness this when judges in both GGG-Canelo fights kinda ignored scoring the jabs.

After 6th round Kovalev has nothing left, he’s got serious stamina problem, worse than Canelo. He almost got KO’ed by a bodybuilder his last fight.

Kovalev survived Yarde because Yarde has stamina issues, was too green and didn’t even spar for the fight.

Bottom line this fight is nothing but a mirage. Cotto-Martinez all over again

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
                      Let's see now...Kovalev had a hard fight two months from the Canelo fight night. He's 37 yrs old. Tough to get your body back from damage in 2 (two) months with that old a body. He has looked poor to bad since Ward II. Been KO'd twice in that time. He's the weakest of the LHW belt holders.

And that's who Canelo picks for a "legacy" "step up" "challenging" fight. Sure he did.
                      I guess we will see soon

Comment

Working...
                      X