Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider 70s Ali to be a spoiler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you consider 70s Ali to be a spoiler?

A spoiler, like Hopkins or Ward

Not really. 70's Ali delivered several classic fights.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Not really. 70's Ali delivered several classic fights.
      His last fight is still 10 times better than Mayweather he fought a future world champ not a first time Novice

Comment

By spoiler do you mean someone that won fights he wasn't supposed to? Then yes.

Comment

he spoiled against kenny norton?
          frazier in the first and third fights?
          foreman?

ali had several styles in the 70's, mostly a product of his legs never being there for 15 rounds the way they could be in the 60's. yeah, he held, stayed on the ropes, would use his legs for a break when they were there, etc, but he wasn't a negative fighter like hopkins by any stretch.

i think you couldmake the argument that he had more "negative" fights in his prime in the 60's. sometimes he'd just win rounds on the jab and looking at his opponent while he moved left for most of the night. IIRC that's how he fought against zora folley and was even booed. eventually he picked a spot, stopped being negative, and hurt him. beena while since i saw thet fight, or any folley fight, so i could be mistaken. one of his last fights before the layoff. will look into it further if i get a chance today.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
            A spoiler, like Hopkins or Ward
            Could you define the way you are using the term?

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              he spoiled against kenny norton?
              frazier in the first and third fights?
              foreman?

ali had several styles in the 70's, mostly a product of his legs never being there for 15 rounds the way they could be in the 60's. yeah, he held, stayed on the ropes, would use his legs for a break when they were there, etc, but he wasn't a negative fighter like hopkins by any stretch.

i think you couldmake the argument that he had more "negative" fights in his prime in the 60's. sometimes he'd just win rounds on the jab and looking at his opponent while he moved left for most of the night. IIRC that's how he fought against zora folley and was even booed. eventually he picked a spot, stopped being negative, and hurt him. beena while since i saw thet fight, or any folley fight, so i could be mistaken. one of his last fights before the layoff. will look into it further if i get a chance today.
              Ali had a habit of fighting to the level of his competition. Dundee among others found this very disturbing. The Foley fight is a great example of that attitude.

Comment

I remember the "SPOILER " He was a NWA masked wrestler back in the early 80's and was part of a menacing cult group called the Legion Of Doom who also had a tag team "The Road Warriors " ", Animal and Hawk The most devastating team of all time .

I dont think Ali was like the Spoiler !

The Spoiler could literally walk on the top ropes ,he would climb them then jump down on his opposition using the "CLAW " A technique that uses open fingers spread across the face squeezing the temples until they had enough !
                Last edited by juggernaut666; 09-29-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                  I remember the "SPOILER " He was a NWA masked wrestler back in the early 80's and was part of a menacing cult group called the Legion Of Doom who also had a tag team "The Road Warriors " ", Animal and Hawk The most devastating team of all time .

I dont think Ali was like the Spoiler !

The Spoiler could literally walk on the top ropes ,he would climb them then jump down on his opposition using the "CLAW " A technique that uses open fingers spread across the face squeezing the temples until they had enough !
                  Yep, and he spent some time in Crockett and World Class promotions as well. Jake Roberts was also in the Legion of Doom at one point, before he was even Jake the Snake and I believe King Kong Bundy was a member as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Yep, and he spent some time in Crockett and World Class promotions as well. Jake Roberts was also in the Legion of Doom at one point, before he was even Jake the Snake and I believe King Kong Bundy was a member as well.
                    I forgot about Roberts ,dont remember King Kong !

Comment

Working...
                    X